Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Servants to work 20% from home

Options
  • 02-06-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Going by this article https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/parties-agree-public-servants-could-work-from-home-one-day-a-week-1002573.html it would seem the government formation talks have agreed that all public servants should do 20% from home.

This is primarily to reduce c02 emissions and help rural Ireland where workers will be able to work from local innovation hubs.

Whatya all think?

Personally I think we should all be working from home, long term, where possible. It's such a criminal waste of c02. I think the idea of setting up rural hubs is brilliant and can't believe FG (weren't they a rural party?) went against it. In my experience if people want to be unproductive in the public service, or any large organisation, they'll get away with it one way or the other.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rural hubs, so decentralisation by another name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

I've been working from home for over 2 months and pretty much with the same level of efficiency as I did from the office.

Corona virus has proven that working form office 100% of the time is no longer necessary and employers should now be instructed that they should facilitate staff who wish to work from home more often.Obviously there will have to be some working from the office but anything that reduces the amount of commuting to work can only be good for the environment and peoples all round well being.

A huge amount of time has been added to my day since I've been forced to work from home it's going to be tough to readjust to working form the office 5 days per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe so but the amount of wasted travel and hours lost is shocking to be honest.

This could be great for the environment and people's mental health and more time for hobbies and walks etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hubs could also be great for regenerating small towns and the areas around them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

I'm all for it. I figured aomething klike this might happen when I read that the Greens were looking for a commitment to reduction of emissions, which can only be helped by such a move. Other areas that will benefit would be the housing problem, quality of life impacted by long commute times, and traffic levels. Hopefully the private sector will follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No, decentralization was designed to move public services and workers away from Dublin, relocating thousands of workers to other counties and offices.

WFH is designed to reduce workers time in an office. Workers are not required to move anywhere, except to a home office space.
    Workers may still be required to be in an office, but maybe only one or two days a week.

Personally WFH is a fantastic idea, especially for commuter towns which are essentially dead from Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hubs could also be great for regenerating small towns and the areas around them

could be, would be, should be. The unions will find a way to make the cost increase of this unbearable and the project ultimately fail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    No, decentralization was designed to move public services and workers away from Dublin, relocating thousands of workers to other counties and offices.

WFH is designed to reduce workers time in an office. Workers are not required to move anywhere, except to a home office space.
    Workers may still be required to be in an office, but maybe only one or two days a week.

Personally WFH is a fantastic idea, especially for commuter towns which are essentially dead from Monday to Friday.

The comments in the OP are not about working from home though. If we are going to create hubs, it's just moving the office from Dublin, to somewhere else but using a new catchphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭tastyt

The comments in the OP are not about working from home though. If we are going to create hubs, it's just moving the office from Dublin, to somewhere else but using a new catchphrase.

I’d say they will have to provide hubs that will probably be shared and optional. If someone doesn’t have good enough broadband then maybe a 15 minute drive to a hub in the closest town is better than a commute to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As I read this people from different workplaces would work in one hub. Not a hub from dept of education, health and so on. So not related to decentralization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

tastyt wrote: »
    A lot of private companies already taking steps to introduce this

A lot aren't though I think. I think it might need more of a push to get some critical momentum. That's why I'm so disappointed in Coveney's attitude above.

If this got going it could be a game changer for rural Ireland. Knowing and meeting people in the locality, wow. Having enough people around to support a shop would be huge where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

could be, would be, should be. The unions will find a way to make the cost increase of this unbearable and the project ultimately fail.

Oh no the the trade unions, what a despicable bunch of people they are for representing their members views.
    Wait whats that, the trade unions haven't said anything on this topic yet but your prescience knows that their only intention is to drive up the costs of this.

How might they drive up costs oh wise cartman?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

MegamanBoo wrote: »
    Going by this article https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/parties-agree-public-servants-could-work-from-home-one-day-a-week-1002573.html it would seem the government formation talks have agreed that all public servants should do 20% from home.

This is primarily to reduce c02 emissions and help rural Ireland where workers will be able to work from local innovation hubs.

Whatya all think?

Personally I think we should all be working from home, long term, where possible. It's such a criminal waste of c02. I think the idea of setting up rural hubs is brilliant and can't believe FG (weren't they a rural party?) went against it. In my experience if people want to be unproductive in the public service, or any large organisation, they'll get away with it one way or the other.

I agree. As a public servant myself, it's been working really well so far. Bar the odd day going into the office, I don't see why we can't do more than 20%. I love going into work but if I could reduce it to a 3 day week then I wouldn't say no.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Innovation hubs already exist and more are planned as part of the National broadband plan.

No one is suggesting building facilities just for Public Servants - Any one can use them.

Allowing people to work from home more just makes sense.

If you don't want to or it's not personally practical , then fine but everyone having the flexibility to work from home a portion of the time just makes sense.

Longer terms it potentially helps with housing and cost of living - People won't move house right away , but if you are looking to move house and you don't have to be in the office every day then a longer commute is potentially manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Rural hubs would be a great idea, and forward-thinking, and a much better use of scare funds than building railyways for heavy industries which have no interest in moving to these areas.

An initial problem is that I don't think many organisations will move to 100% remote working (not immediately anyway). Most are talking about a few days each week in the office, which makes it a difficult commute if you want to live a long distance away.

We need some new thinking, the future being proposed looks a bit half-arsed.

That assumes they could get their members to vote against reduced commute times and improved quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

If this got going it could be a game changer for rural Ireland.
    I've no particular problem with the proposal, but the impact on rural Ireland could be hugely overstated. There's no shortage of public sector employment in the regions, and hasn't been for a very long time; if anything, many rural towns are over-dependent on public sector employment.

This analysis, from 2009, highlights that.
    https://irelandafternama.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/public-sector-pay-cuts-the-hidden-geographies/

Castlebar, Portlaoise, Sligo, Mullingar, Kilkenny, Letterkenny. These six towns have most to fear from the public sector pay cuts just announced by Brian Lenihan. The reason? The proportion of workers employed in the public sector – around 40% in each of these towns, according to CSO data from the 2006 Census

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Not possible for majority of my office to work from home. Won't give access to sensitive systems outside the building in case a device its on is lost or stolen, and not allowed to take sensitive documents outside the building either. I'm sure quite a few departments in justice/AGS/Revenue/DSP would be similar.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not possible for majority of my office to work from home. Won't give access to sensitive systems outside the building in case a device its on is lost or stolen, and not allowed to take sensitive documents outside the building either. I'm sure quite a few departments in justice/AGS/Revenue/DSP would be similar.

That's a fair point - it won't work for all people or all roles in an organisation.

But having the flexibility to do so where appropriate just makes sense.

Also - even in your own case , are there parts of your job that don't require access to the secure data so that you could arrange it so that you do those "non-sensitive" tasks on a WFH day for example.

It shouldn't be about mandatory changes , it's about flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Could be done over thin client and would drive paperless processes.

• Advertisement

Not possible for majority of my office to work from home. Won't give access

Encrypting devices takes care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

storker wrote: »
    Encrypting devices takes care of that.

If it was that simple we'd never hear anything about data breaches or hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's a fair point - it won't work for all people or all roles in an organisation.

But having the flexibility to do so where appropriate just makes sense.

Also - even in your own case , are there parts of your job that don't require access to the secure data so that you could arrange it so that you do those "non-sensitive" tasks on a WFH day for example.

It shouldn't be about mandatory changes , it's about flexibility.

It wont be mandatory for many reasons. The reason we are currently discussing it is because it is supposedly being considered as part of the program for government under discussion by three political parties.

After a government is formed and if this is a part of the program for government and if it is deemed politically advantageous by the chosen cabinet then and only then will it begin to take shape.

At that stage all the relevant stakeholders would presumably have a representative group involved in discussions about how this would take shape.

Obviously this has implications for data security as well as employment rights so these issues at a minimum would need to be considered. This isn't so far being driven by pressure from public/civil servants or their representative unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Whatya all think?

Probably reduce CO2 emissions but other emissions will rise

Data breaches and hacking don't require, and in most cases don't involve, encrypted devices being stolen and decrypted. Major causes of data breaches such as hacking, phishing, weak passwords and malicious action by insiders can all happen in the office as well as out of it.

Really the evil unions, same usual claptrap They have already been already working from home since March where possible and set to continue until December even before this was announced.

Mate works in revenue as a developer they have been working from home since March and are planning to do so until January at the moment. They use Citrix thin clients that are locked down and encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Mate works in revenue as a developer they have been working from home since March and are planning to do so until January at the moment. They use Citrix thin clients that are locked down and encrypted.

Same, plenty of friends work for banks, revenue, CAG and they're all working from home, over thin client or secure VPN like Pulse or Global Protect.

I don't think security is such a big issue. My only concern would be employees treating office equipment like home equipment, letting kids play with it etc.

Depending on your situation, a year or two commuting costs could easily cover a steeltech office in the garden.

Given that nearly every commercial and private entity has an online presence, data breaches and hacks are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

I know for a fact that in some organisations, the unions have been trying to bring in remote working and more working from home. The resistance is from management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

20% working from home and the other 80% sitting at home doing **** all as they're surplus to requirement

Advertisement