Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Servants to work 20% from home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pay 700 a week then.

For what? stacking shelves and working on a till?

700 a week net is €45k a year gross. You'd have to more than double the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hubs could also be great for regenerating small towns and the areas around them

A huge boost to rural towns, was even talking to a few shop / coffee shop owners and since WFH came in, there is an increase in spending by a certain sector of society in the area. People on nice money jobs in Dublin now living in a rural area with excess cashflow due to cost of living in the City.

Can only be good for rural Ireland in the long term. And is needed, badly!

I'm WFH since March and my commute isn't huge, 40 mins each way a day. But the time you are saving is worth its weight in gold along with the cost factor.

I feel it will be a mixed WFH / Office environment whenever this is all over. Work can be done from home as we've seen over the last 3 months.

I've rang insurance company, travel agents and a few other services and employees were working from home and the service I got was as good if not better. One lad was clearly sitting out in his garden getting some sun, fair play to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    For what? stacking shelves and working on a till?

700 a week net is €45k a year gross. You'd have to more than double the minimum wage.

Why not? The Musgraves are milllionaires; they didn't work for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

I loves me county boi

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And sure the Musgraves employ every minimum wage worker in the country too.
    Sure why go to college at all when you can get paid more than a nurse or teacher to stack shelves in Centra?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

They didn't? How does that work? You must be a commie with that logic!

Wow, I have to admire the block headed manner at least

Multiple threads, a thread ban, hundreds of posts over weeks and building a fine reputation for double standards and refusing to acknowledge facts or answer direct questions. Yet here you are still going back to the old reliable despite the obvious flaws in such an argument bring obvious to anyone with a genuine understanding of economics.

Surely to god we can now all see that this lad is nothing but a troll?

Its laughable, this guy obviously doesn't work himself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I assume you never ask for your change back in pubs or shops and always insist on the person serving you to hold on to it?

That would help them increase their earnings for the day.

salonfire wrote: »
    I assume you never ask for your change back in pubs or shops and always insist on the person serving you to hold on to it?

That would help them increase their earnings for the day.

The people who work in the shops are in fact working , unlike inter alia the Musgraves (none of whom ever died for Ireland by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

The people who work in the shops are in fact working , unlike inter alia the Musgraves (none of whom ever died for Ireland by the way).

Why do you not set up a shop and pay your shelf stackers and till operators 45k a year and see how long you last?

• Advertisement

addaword wrote: »
    Why do you not set up a shop and pay your shelf stackers and till operators 45k a year and see how long you last?

A quick check of Marieholmfan's post history suggests it's not worth replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Irony.

Those who have no argument resort to attacking the poster.

This country wasn't founded by bean counters and counter jumpers.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And sure the Musgraves employ every minimum wage worker in the country too.
    Sure why go to college at all when you can get paid more than a nurse or teacher to stack shelves in Centra?

Unlike teachers Shelf Stackers are regarded as essential by the government of Ireland.

Those who have no argument resort to attacking the poster.

Didn't you want all landlords and their families killed?

There are many arguments against doubling minimum wage. i can't be bothered answering such a stupid question.
    Unlike teachers Shelf Stackers are regarded as essential by the government of Ireland.

Teachers are essential. They're still working, and none are on COVID payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Again you miss the point. I was illustrating how salaries are considerably higher in Ireland than in Spain.
    Why are you avoiding the question? You're complaining that he's doing something wrong by being paid a salary he didn't set.

What's your salary like compared to those for your profession in Spain?
    He is not paid to do a lap of the Aras every week with his dogs, and nobody would care less if he done a lap of his investment property in Galway where he evicted the students who were paying him 2200 a month in rent.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/students-told-to-leave-so-president-higgins-can-sell-house-w9vq8gss0
    Is there a job spec or something that I've missed? You don't get to decide what he's paid to do or not do. It's fabulous that people can meet their President when out walking in the park for a quick 1:1 chat.

And what's his rented house got to do with anything? You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about MDH? It must really get under your skin to see that he's so well respected and loved, both at home and abroad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Attack the post, not the poster

What's your salary like compared to those for your profession in Spain?

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Will working from home eat in to the 40 sick days year that they always seem to use up?

LINK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

MegamanBoo wrote: »
    Going by this article https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/parties-agree-public-servants-could-work-from-home-one-day-a-week-1002573.html it would seem the government formation talks have agreed that all public servants should do 20% from home.

This is primarily to reduce c02 emissions and help rural Ireland where workers will be able to work from local innovation hubs.

Whatya all think?

Personally I think we should all be working from home, long term, where possible. It's such a criminal waste of c02. I think the idea of setting up rural hubs is brilliant and can't believe FG (weren't they a rural party?) went against it. In my experience if people want to be unproductive in the public service, or any large organisation, they'll get away with it one way or the other.

This was planned to happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You want salaries of shop workers doubled.

So go down to your local butcher, buy €10 worth of food, give them a 20 and to keep the change.

salonfire wrote: »
    You want salaries of shop workers doubled.

So go down to your local butcher, buy €10 worth of food, give them a 20 and to keep the change.

My butcher owns the shop. He does very well.

My butcher owns the shop. He does very well.

Go to one that doesn't

Attack the post, not the poster.

Wtf? How is that an attack?

He asked you what someone in your career earns in Spain.

That's an attack but the insulting comments you have made about the careers, intelligence and income of multiple users here aren't?

Wtf? How is that an attack?

He asked me what my salary was like and many times I was told I could apply for the p.s.
    It does not matter what a posters own circumstances are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He asked me what my salary was like
    No, he didn't. He asked you how your salary compared to your profession in Spain. You bought up relativity to Spanish salaries, so why wouldn't your salary be relevant?

No, he didn't. He asked you how your salary compared to your profession in Spain.

I may or may not have a profession. He asked me what my salary was like. It does not matter if the income of one person out of 2 million in the private sector is 20k or 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No, he didn't. He asked you how your salary compared to your profession in Spain. You bought up relativity to Spanish salaries, so why wouldn't your salary be relevant?

That doesn’t suit his agenda.

• Advertisement

That doesn’t suit his agenda.
    The income of one particular person out of the 2 million in the private sector is none of your business and not relevant to the discussion.

Advertisement