Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 inch kids bike

Options
  • 02-06-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

our 5 yr old wants a proper bike for her birthday - she is riding around on a bso at the moment, which to be fair, is actually ok quality wise. birthday is in october, but looking at getting something ordered soon given the lack of bikes in general at the moment. She will be using it for trails, beach, general riding about, and CX racing (muhahahahaha) when the cx comes back.

She is just outside the lower height range for most of the bikes, but should be there for October.

I would like something lightweight, maybe with discs, and gears but no suspension.

Options seem to be:
    - Islabikes benin 20
    - Giant ARX 20
    - cannondale cujo 20
    - trek wahoo or rosco
    - carrera abyss

Any other suggestions that I should look at. Budget is kind of up in the air - would rather get something good that will last the few years and then sell on. Islabikes always seem to hold their value, so maybe that will be a deciding factor.

thankfully, she doesnt like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Our eldest is on a Giant ARX 24 and the younger one is on a Islabike Beinn 20, after being through a Cnoc 16 as well. Both great bikes.

If you're happy to make the 'investment' that is an Islabike, that'd be where my vote is. Very light (particularly the current model) and easy to ride etc. They hold their value brilliantly too, so that makes the initial outlay more palatable.

If you're not in a huge rush, set up an alert on www.adverts.ie and hope for the best!

lennymc wrote: »
    our 5 yr old wants a proper bike for her birthday - she is riding around on a bso at the moment, which to be fair, is actually ok quality wise. birthday is in october, but looking at getting something ordered soon given the lack of bikes in general at the moment. She will be using it for trails, beach, general riding about, and CX racing (muhahahahaha) when the cx comes back.

She is just outside the lower height range for most of the bikes, but should be there for October.

I would like something lightweight, maybe with discs, and gears but no suspension.

Options seem to be:
    - Islabikes benin 20
    - Giant ARX 20
    - cannondale cujo 20
    - trek wahoo or rosco
    - carrera abyss

Any other suggestions that I should look at. Budget is kind of up in the air - would rather get something good that will last the few years and then sell on. Islabikes always seem to hold their value, so maybe that will be a deciding factor.

thankfully, she doesnt like this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Both of mine had the Carrera Abyss (26 inch wheels). Both have been passed on, and are still going strong with cousins!

They're relatively light for a children's bike, as no useless suspension. I was happy with value for money anyway. About the only thing they ever had issue with was the grip shift, and mainly the front. Whether that's an issue with the grip shift or (my) lack of maintenance I don't know - they were fine changing up and down the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Take a look at the Ridgeback range. Again they're pretty well made but more importantly, they're light. I've a 24inch one here beside me that's much lighter at 9.5kg than a Raleigh 20inch, neither with suspension. Reviews for them tend to be pretty good too.

https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes?categories=Bikes

Although looking at the 20inch range, they all seem to have front suspension and they weigh in at 10.5 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I'm currently looking for a bike for our 5 year old too, different requirements to you though so this may not help... Anyway, I found hoy kids bikes on Evans cycles. I'm looking for a lift bike as the main criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Frog 55 worth a mention- we had one alongside a beinn 20 for a few years - every bit as good- in fact the shifter is better IMO Slightly longer wheelbase which makes it feel a bit bigger too and just as light.

Squishbikes apparently use same components or v similar to frog- have not see one though in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Have had islabikes, frog & spesch bikes for kids over the years

Highly recommend the frog bikes, light & simple bikes, not as super light and islabikes but very kid friendly. Got mine in shop in Dundrum village and available for 100-150 less than islabikes through local bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

my searchfoo must have abandoned me, cos I missed that thread! How do you find the woom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

my searchfoo must have abandoned me, cos I missed that thread! How do you find the woom

Great. He is still using it and enjoying it. Biggest problem is when he is out and about locally other kids like using it too !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Santa brought a Vitus 20 for ours, way lighter than a BSO, brakes and clearance for CX and beach riding, strong frame despite the light weight as it took my fat ass without issue.

ended up ordering the woom 4, it gets good reviews, is very light and the boss liked it in purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

ended up ordering the woom 4, it gets good reviews, is very light and the boss liked it in purple.

You'll get loads of enjoyment out of that, the saddle goes lower than usual for 20 inch wheels bikes which was a factor for me when buying it in April 2018. Did a couple of green ways that year too to get proper use out of it. They're not cheap as kids bikes go but you could reasonably expect to be able to move it on for about half price.

yeah - the lower height was a big plus for the woom.

I wanted to get this....

356423-00-d-765741.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's what I want, but hard to justify paying that for the majority of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The rate mine grew/ are growing, it's hard to justify too much*. Also, I was trying to balance their freedom to use them without too many security concerns. That's why I went for the Carrera in the end as a compromise.

*the went BSO/ Smyths yolk --> Abyss --> adult bikes fairly rapidly!

so, daughter's birthday last week, she was delighted with the woom. Perfect size for her, loves the gears, is flying up hills now that she struggled on her old BSO. She said 'all my friends will be so jealous, because i have gears and they dont'
    Did her longest non stop cycle yesterday - about 7km, rabbiting on about how she loves her bike. Many thanks to Harringtonop for recommending them.

Took a while to turn up, but expected that due to covid - Woom kept me up to date on the expected delivery, so no issues there. I would highly recommend them if someone was looking for a good kids bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Ah great stuff, just seeing this thread after I bought the Vitus 20 yesterday for my little one. I actually can't wait to hit some trails with her next weekend

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-20-kids-bike-2020-1

Vitus-20-Kids-Bike-2020-Junior-Bikes-Silver-SAMPLE-BIKE-N-V-K-20-SIL20SMP.jpg?w=960&h=430&a=7

Advertisement