Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you back up your statements with sources please ^^^
    Posting without sources seems like guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »

There's plenty of evidence that respiratory etiquette works Biko, if you think I need sources for that you're having a laugh, there's no guesswork to it, coughing, sneezing and spitting on people is a no no.

Outdoor activities are much safer than indoor activities, plenty of evidence there too, It's been said from the beginning. No need for you to insist on a source for this either, it's not guesswork, it's common sense and factual information.

If you need evidence that people brought back Covid on packed planes from Cheltenham you can look it you yourself too, the evidence is out there, not need for me to provide any for you, it happened and you know it did.

Galway has now gone four days in a row with no new confirmed coronavirus cases, with the city and county total remaining at 481 cases, on the 19th of May Tony Holohan said Ireland had extinguished Coronavirus from the community. Google it and you'll find out, again, no need for sources for common knowledge issues.

Now, I know you've issues with me and where I'm from, you can trash that out with me via pm if you wish. No need for the attitude and demands you're making of me that don't seem to apply to anyone else.

Galway just got new cases, we don't know if they're connected to the protest. Probably not as it's too early.

To say it's not in the community sounds like wishful thinking, although I also wish this to be true.

We'll know in a couple weeks if we dodged a bullet with these protests.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There's plenty of evidence that respiratory etiquette works Biko, if you think I need sources for that you're having a laugh, there's no guesswork to it, coughing, sneezing and spitting on people is a no no.

Outdoor activities are much safer than indoor activities, plenty of evidence there too, It's been said from the beginning. No need for you to insist on a source for this either, it's not guesswork, it's common sense and factual information.

If you need evidence that people brought back Covid on packed planes from Cheltenham you can look it you yourself too, the evidence is out there, not need for me to provide any for you, it happened and you know it did.

Galway has now gone four days in a row with no new confirmed coronavirus cases, with the city and county total remaining at 481 cases, on the 19th of May Tony Holohan said Ireland had extinguished Coronavirus from the community. Google it and you'll find out, again, no need for sources for common knowledge issues.

Now, I know you've issues with me and where I'm from, you can trash that out with me via pm if you wish. No need for the attitude and demands you're making of me that don't seem to apply to anyone else.

A load of waffle.

The pictures for the protest did not look like there was much social distancing going on bar a few well taken photos loads of people were in groups and you have no idea what their cough etiquette was like.

The gathering was also illegal as meeting in crowds is seen as high risk that is a fact, people can't go to funerals only in small groups yet you would defend people attending this event in their 100's.

It will spreading in the community fairly fast if we all have your attitude.

It will spreading in the community fairly fast if we all have your attitude.

No. It DID spread in the community fairly fast because of your attitude when you "had to laugh" at the people condemning the hoards of people flying over the Cheltenham because they'd "spent money" on the flights.

As I said, ignorance is mildly amusing and fairly harmless at the best of times, but when something like this hits, it's dangerous.

Tightly packed plane - festival at the height of the pandemic - NOT OK

Outdoor activity with social distancing & respiratory etiquette - OK

• Advertisement

No. It DID spread in the community fairly fast because of your attitude when you "had to laugh" at the people condemning the hoards of people flying over the Cheltenham because they'd "spent money" on the flights.

As I said, ignorance is mildly amusing and fairly harmless at the best of times, but when something like this hits, it's dangerous.

If you can't accept the situation was totally different then than now then there is no point in even taking to you.

People did not understand the seriousness then as we do now simple as that. I wasn't overly supportive of them either but more making the point that they would lose money on flight, which given what we have learned since would have been a better idea.

This is what the government say, and their line is what goes. For me, for you, and for everyone.

From 8 June until 29 - Phase 2
    Meeting other people: You may meet up to 6 people from outside your household both indoors and outdoors for social gatherings.
    Organised outdoor exercise, sporting, cultural or social activities of up to 15 people may take place.

However, BLM protest took place during Phase 1 (18 May to 8 June)
    Meeting small groups outside
    Up to 4 people who don't live together can meet outdoors while keeping at least 2 metres apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I guess time will tell but I'm inclined to agree with J_R. If the danger was as big as some of the drama queens in here suggest, then this thing would be rampant through supermarkets. I was in LIDL Oranmore last Saturday and it was a free for all in there, like Christmas Eve! Where's the evidence that anyone's picked it up in a supermarket? There isn't any.

I know for a fact that 2 individuals returned from Cheltenham and went on the beer in Craughwell, onto Loughrea and back to Craughwell again. This resulted in a spike of cases in that area in mid March. But sure they were having the craic... no harm eh.

If you can't accept the situation was totally different then than now then there is no point in even taking to you.

People did not understand the seriousness then as we do now simple as that. I wasn't overly supportive of them either but more making the point that they would lose money on flight, which given what we have learned since would have been a better idea.

I can certainly and very easliy accept that you didn't understand the seriousness of the problem back then. You're not exactly known for finger on the pulse type posts!

I certainly did, as did all of my peer group and family I cancelled flights for late Feb. I mean, you just had to log on to any news site or turn the TV on and see what was happening in Italy and around Europe. It's actually laughable that people thought it was ok to fly in a packed plane, the risk they took and the risk to others was obvious to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The problem with that logic is that there is still a restriction on mass gatherings.

If you want to make the argument that the restrictions are wrong go ahead and do so; just like John Waters and Gemma O'Doherty did.

But arguing it's grand because we have no confirmed infections as a result, yet, is disingenuous.

Anyway how do you expect widespread adherence to the restrictions to be maintained across society when one large group, with the loud backing of the media, decides it doesn't apply to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do you genuinely need a source to explain to you that social distancing is an effective method to hinder virus transmission?

No, that's pretty clear for everyone.
    I was going after the "We know it's not in the community" statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was going after the "We know it's not in the community" statement.

The CMO has been saying this for weeks (It's nullified in the community). Personally I'm not sure how that works either if there's still new cases (confined to known clusters only?) but thats what he's been saying as far as I understand.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The problem with that logic is that there is still a restriction on mass gatherings.

There were no restrictions on flying on planes to the Cheltenham Festival at the height of the pandemic CrankHaus but it was obvious to anyone that's informed and has a bit of cop it was a bad idea.

We're at the tail end of this and it's obvious to anyone with a bit of cop and that's in any way informed outdoor activities with social distancing and respiratory etiquette is ok.

Please follow the guidelines as laid out by the government.
    They have the oversight and the medical expertise to really known how it's going.
    The BLM protesters did not listen to them and we can only hope they have not caused unnecessary damage to themselves or others in the community.

We're at the tail end of this
    Again, I hope you're right and there won't be a second wave, but tbh it's wishful thinking right now to suggest the virus may not come back to bite us.

There were no restrictions on flying on planes to the Cheltenham Festival at the height of the pandemic CrankHaus but it was obvious to anyone that's informed and has a bit of cop it was a bad idea.

I agree. I said as much at the time. However they didn't actually break any restrictions, which is a different matter altogether.
    We're at the tail end of this and it's obvious to anyone with a bit of cop and that's in any way informed outdoor activities with social distancing and respiratory etiquette is ok.

"Obvious to anyone with a bit of cop" except the experts advising the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I guess time will tell but I'm inclined to agree with J_R. If the danger was as big as some of the drama queens in here suggest, then this thing would be rampant through supermarkets.

This rubbish have been explained numerous times before. Sustained contact is required which is defined as more than 15 minutes contact. Nobody until recently has been in contact with anyone in a supermarket for that time period hence the low numbers of people infected in supermarkets.

The people at the march and in the likes or salthill who are not socially distancing themselves as per the guidelines are putting all our health's at risk.

I agree. I said as much at the time. However they didn't actually break any restrictions, which is a different matter altogether.

:confused: OK, they may not have broken any restrictions, but they spread the disease and introduced it in to communities around the country when it was obvious it was going to happen. Do you not see the problem here?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

I was really annoyed when I saw the pictures of the protests in Dublin. I cannot remember ever being so angry about a public event. It had nothing to do with racism. It was the virus. I know people have posted that others were breaking the guidelines and going to beaches, having parties, etc but I was only going out to the supermarket once a week so I did not see any of that. I was here listening to the news every evening, hoping the numbers of deaths and new cases would keep falling, and then I saw this huge protest with everyone roaring and shouting and on top of each other. We did not know as much about the virus when Cheltenham took place. Cheltenham would not be allowed to go ahead now.

I don’t think my reaction or that of people like me should be interpreted as related to the message of the protest. My reaction would have been identical regardless of what the protest was about. The protestors cannot expect us to support the method they have chosen to convey their message at this time regardless of the significance of that message. For some of us the main battle now is defeating the virus.

:confused: OK, they may not have broken any restrictions, but they spread the disease and introduced it in to communities around the country when it was obvious it was going to happen. Do you not see the problem here?

The problem here is that you're grasping for any excuse to justify prohibited mass gatherings in the middle of a pandemic because it suits your clique. I actually feel sorry for you that you're so convinced of your righteousness that cannot see the problem with a "one rule for me, another for thee" approach to such a serious issue.

• Advertisement

The problem here is that you're grasping for any excuse to justify prohibited mass gatherings in the middle of a pandemic because it suits your clique. I actually feel sorry for you that you're so convinced of your righteousness that cannot see the problem with a "one rule for me, another for thee" approach to such a serious issue.

Who told you that? I wasn't at any mass gatherings, I don't think they're a good idea at the tail end of a pandemic, I never said they were, but they're not the worst thing. Certainly not as bad as foreign travel in the middle of a global pandemic to attend a festival.

Now you may look up to & admire these boozy horsey types and believe there's one rule for them and another for everyone else, but I'm afraid Covid-19 knows no such distinctions and these people caused dozens of clusters across the nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

owlbethere wrote: »
    "blacklifesmatter" but Irish life's in the face of disease doesn't matter.

100% the protests are a disgrace and the people out should be ashamed . Black lives matter more at the moment apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The protests are causing the opposite of what the organisers hoped due to ridiculous timing.

No widespread support. Failure from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

A load of waffle.

The pictures for the protest did not look like there was much social distancing going on bar a few well taken photos loads of people were in groups and you have no idea what their cough etiquette was like.

Actually, the aerial pictures uploaded a couple of days ago on FB showed that there was good social distancing going on which has also been suggested by some of those in attendance who claimed organizers marked out distances for groups to keep apart. Pictures taken at eye level don't tell the full story, they aren't 3D, it suffers from forced perspective. Everyone looks grouped together because you can't judge the depth of field.

There was the same sh1tehawkery about the pictures of Leo in Phoenix Park. There was no way anyone could tell if he was 2m apart from the next people or not but plenty claimed he was not.

I agree it shouldn't have gone ahead though and most of the original organizers cancelled and pulled support. Only one group decided to proceed.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Actually, the aerial pictures uploaded a couple of days ago on FB showed that there was good social distancing going on
    I went and looked for that photo but couldn't find it.
    Found a bunch in this link

A video https://www.facebook.com/GalwayARN/videos/2528367434118289/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I went a looked for that photo but couldn't find it.
    Found a bunch in this link

A video https://www.facebook.com/GalwayARN/videos/2528367434118289/

Lots of social distancing going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

conndeal wrote: »
    We did not know as much about the virus when Cheltenham took place. Cheltenham would not be allowed to go ahead now.
    This is false. We did. The highest powers in this Country did. I have never seen Simon Coveney TD - Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs so angry when he denounced the fact that the Cheltenham meet was going ahead. He categorically stated:
    "It would not be happening on this Island"

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

'According to the Gardaí, about 500 people took part in the demonstration with no obvious breaches of public health distancing guidelines and no public order incident' - today's Connacht Tribune, p. 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is false. We did. The highest powers in this Country did. I have never seen Simon Coveney TD - Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs so angry when he denounced the fact that the Cheltenham meet was going ahead. He categorically stated:

Have never voted FG No 1 - so not talking up our current lot at all. But if Boris and his clowns had followed the lead of our Gov at the time - they would halved no of UK deaths. Source:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/jun/10/neil-ferguson-earlier-lockdown-would-have-halved-coronavirus-death-toll-video
    "
    Neil Ferguson: earlier lockdown would have halved coronavirus death toll.
    The Imperial College academic whose research prompted Boris Johnson to introduce the lockdown has said the death toll could have been halved if it had been introduced a week earlier. Ferguson told the Commons science committee the policies to protect care homes and the elderly ‘failed to be enacted’
    "

• Advertisement
Advertisement