Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think it should go ahead, given what is going on.

Holding a public gathering during the same time you are trying to curb the spread of an infectious disease is not a very good idea. Hopefully some sense will prevail.

But some of the commentary here is predictably cretinous. The type of stuff I would have been not too surprised to hear out of good 'ol boys back in Alabama during the 1960's.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'm done with following the rules of the govt around Covid seeing as they allowed that march to go ahead last weekend, and if they allow this demonstration to go ahead, same thing.
    I'll keep wearing my mask, and keep my distance, but f*ck keeping to 5 or 20km limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Regardless of who violates them, it is up to individuals to do their best to follow guidelines they agree with. Acting the maggot because someone else acted the maggot first is not a sensible line of reasoning, it's giving in to herd mentality.

I share your frustrations, but abandoning the plan at this stage, when it's effectiveness is evident for all to see, is not a responsible act. Organizing a mass protest in a pandemic was an idiotic move, but I see that subsequent ones are being called off. Sanity may yet prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Jaden wrote: »
    Regardless of who violates them, it is up to individuals to do their best to follow guidelines they agree with. Acting the maggot because someone else acted the maggot first is not a sensible line of reasoning, it's giving in to herd mentality.

I share your frustrations, but abandoning the plan at this stage, when it's effectiveness is evident for all to see, is not a responsible act. Organizing a mass protest in a pandemic was an idiotic move, but I see that subsequent ones are being called off. Sanity may yet prevail.

On set of rules for one group of people - a very different set of rules for another group of people.
    Sounds a bit like Apartheid to be honest.

If the government wants people to stick with the lockdown it can enforce it equally instead of tacitly endorsing mass lockdown breaches for internet points like Leo did the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Can weddings go ahead this summer if people hold banners and claim they are protesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Jaden wrote: »

Once you start agreeing, as you are, that agreements only are valid SOMETIMES, and that instructions and guidelines only apply to SOME people, not everyone, then things start to go wrong pretty quickly. You’ll find people don’t like apartheid.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Can weddings go ahead this summer if people hold banners and claim they are protesting?

And hurling matches and Corpus Christi processions, both of which involve carrying placards and chanting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like Apartheid to be honest.

You sound as woke as that young lad on the videos from a few days ago.

Apartheid is a system of institutionalised racial segregation

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Are coronavirus restrictions going to be lifted by 6 June?

So you're okay with the lockdown not applying to mass gatherings if they suit your clique?

I'd prefer the same rules for everyone, or equality as it's known.

• Advertisement

Yes. An organisation of migrants wanting to be allowed to have a mass protest meeting, and being approved for that, when a predominately white Irish group, the GAA are being refused is just that. Or what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's crazy that these organisations did not consider Covid restrictions when they asked so many people to congregate together.

We are still in Phase 1 until June 8th
    "Up to 4 people who don't live together can meet outdoors while keeping at least 2 metres apart"
    That's very clear to me.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes. An organisation of migrants wanting to be allowed to have a mass protest meeting, and being approved for that, when a predominately white Irish group, the GAA are being refused is just that. Or what is it?

That's actually a good point. I don't see much people shouting about racism against the whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Sorry, I mean where did a poster extoll George Wallace?

ELM327 at post 57.
    He's since clarified that his video of George Wallace ranting about anti-segregation protestors has nothing to do with segregation.
    Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hang on. Whether or not you agree the march is a bad idea, to insinuate that the only people organising or planning to be at at it are the one skin colour is not correct. And last I checked (yes yes you said predominantly but that in itself...) there are black / brown / other players throughout the GAA ranks.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/26/cummings-contempt-lockdown-rules-public-catholic-church-ireland

What a difference a week makes.

Fintan O'Toole wrote an excellent article in The Guardian on Dominic Cummings flouting lockdown rules.

However, he's been strangely silent on thousands of people in Ireland flouting the same rules.

Read the article and see how well his excoriating analysis of hypocrisy can be applied to this protest, only it isn't. The Irish Times covered it in a non-judgemental manner that tacitly endorsed it.
    The reference to religious faith in the article is particularly apt, as much of this Identity Politics is the new dogma, that you challenge at your peril.

"We endure these things individually because we understand ourselves to be also enduring them collectively. Cummings’ actions – and, even more, Johnson’s valorisation of them – strip away the second part. The big, communal and institutional structure that gives a value to the millions of individual sacrifices has been kicked away – in Johnson’s defence of Cummings, the only value is the individual “instinct” of the members of the ruling caste. To use the Blitz analogy that England apparently cannot escape, it’s fine to leave your lights on during the blackout if you’re an important person with documents to read.

As the Catholic church found in Ireland, people don’t forgive this violation of the sense of meaning that gives dignity to their own sufferings. They don’t forgive because they can’t forget. This kind of betrayal is not just an event out there in the public world of media and politics and power. It is an experience that happens to every citizen individually and privately. It is not possible for people to think about it without thinking of love and loss, of the grief they have felt and the intimacies they have foregone. To do so is to hear, as the soundtrack to the images stored from these months in the mind and the heart, an unpardonable snigger of elite condescension."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I wouldn’t expect anything else from Fintan The Tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

What they are basically doing is breaking the law to virtue signal to us and European cities how woke they are

Meanwhile after a spike occurs your mother your dad your sister could be in icu due to this.

these people are truely selfish narsatstic babys who never fully grew up.

this woke culture is like in about 1pc of people maybe less yet the media and fear of being targeted gives these babys way more power than they should have.

the fact that these groups are planning demos all over Ireland is enraging us the normal people who get up crazy hours to just put a bit of food on the table, the normal people who have not seen loved ones for months.

The funeral i had to go to last week with 10 people.

WHAT gives ye the right that you are different, more special than others.
    There will be a time in the future for your marches. but not now.
    The virus does not care who it infects but i care who you might infect.

Far more than 1%. Take a look at twitter, the amount of plebs in Ireland spouting this muck. Closer to 20% I’d say.

What they are basically doing is breaking the law to virtue signal to us and European cities how woke they are

Meanwhile after a spike occurs your mother your dad your sister could be in icu due to this.

these people are truely selfish narsatstic babys who never fully grew up.

this woke culture is like in about 1pc of people maybe less yet the media and fear of being targeted gives these babys way more power than they should have.

the fact that these groups are planning demos all over Ireland is enraging us the normal people who get up crazy hours to just put a bit of food on the table, the normal people who have not seen loved ones for months.

The funeral i had to go to last week with 10 people.

WHAT gives ye the right that you are different, more special than others.
    There will be a time in the future for your marches. but not now.
    The virus does not care who it infects but i care who you might infect.

This is it. Sums it up for me. The nursing homes were badly hit because the virus was in communities. Tony said it himself at one said - we need to keep cases down as much as possible to that more homes aren't affected or it was something like that. The virus is not gone away. It's only suppressed right now. When cases start increasing because of mass gatherings, its going to filter down to more and more people and that's going to be me and you and our families and our neighbours and friends. This is also happening at a time where we are opening up the economy, getting people back to work, more movements from people. Its a recipe for disaster and its on the same level as allowing the planes of Italians to land here in March and roam around Dublin. We'll be back to square one again. How will the authorities be able to contact trace protest marches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They don't see the law as applying to them.

That's for people beneath them.

Mummy's Vhi package has them covered so forget social distancing, so be seen toprotest for George and party after.

Snobby c u n7s, expect the rest of us to endure restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What organisation is this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

owlbethere wrote: »

Seen it happen. Divorced ex marching about outside the wedding with a banner castigating the happily married couple

lion_bar wrote: »
    Seen it happen. Divorced ex marching about outside the wedding with a banner castigating the happily married couple

Scabby to laugh at that, but impossible not to. Sounds like some story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

So its off entirely now or another group of clowns still marching saturday?

What organisation is this then?

MASI?

MERJ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

MASI?

MERJ?

Mainly Art Students of Ireland

Many Erratic Readers of the Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-black-lives-matter-protest-fully-cancelled-over-coronavirus-fears/
    A peaceful protest highlighting racism, discrimination and the Irish Direct Provision system due to be held in the city this weekend has been cancelled.

The local protest had met with widespread criticism due to fears they could result in the spread of Covid-19.

The event was organised by local community activists and the Galway Anti Racism Network.

However, GARN withdrew from the event yesterday to host their own online protest at 2pm on Saturday.

Local activists today decided to cancel the event at Eyre Square following public concerns over a lack of social distancing at the event.
    Thread closed again as now the whole thing is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There seems to be some activity in Eyre Square so it looks like there will be some form of a gathering at 2pm despite them saying it was cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

There seems to be some activity in Eyre Square so it looks like there will be some form of a gathering at 2pm despite them saying it was cancelled.

Covidiots

Advertisement