Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was working nearby, a lot of them were young ones treating it like a day out. I'd say most of them cared more about posting it to their instragram stories than they do about racism.

Maybe ? Or maybe some actually care about the society they are growing up in. To many of the young their music heroes are black, their friends are black. It's so easy to just spout the usual condemnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

very encouraging to increase fatalities in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Discodog wrote: »
    You lost me once you started referring to ordinary people, families, children etc as scum.

This forum is so strange. I have lived near Galway for twenty years & never met anyone with the attitudes of some here. It was wrong to hold the protest now but I am proud that, in my City, so many ordinary people care.

Well said - but there’s no talking to that particular poster. Fighting billy big balls talk behind a keyboard. Brave.

And yeah, there’s a few mouth pieces on this forum who shout loudest but aren’t representative of the attitudes of most relaxed easy going Galwegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

They care so much that they want to risk exposing themselves and their family to a potentially fatal virus?

Seems akin to protesting drunk driving by running across a motorway waving a sign. Sure fair fcuks you care about protesting drunk driving we all agree with that.
    Possibly causing a needless car accident getting yourself or others killed? I'd have thought most decent caring folk wouldn't have celebrated that.

Yeah they may have a point but what cave have they been in to have not realised theres a fukcing global pandemic currently?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Well said - but there’s no talking to that particular poster. Fighting billy big balls talk behind a keyboard. Brave.

And yeah, there’s a few mouth pieces on this forum who shout loudest but aren’t representative of the attitudes of most relaxed easy going Galwegians.

At least there's two of us & maybe this forum keeps the miserable at their keyboards & away from the streets :pac:

Luckily potential tourists don't read it.

• Advertisement

very encouraging to increase fatalities in the future

How will you, Nox etc cope if the numbers continue to fall & there isn't a second wave ?

Being relaxed and easy going does not mean you don't stand up and call out the people involved in an illegal and live endangering gathering as being absolute morons. They deserve to be called out and in my opinion fined and prosecuted. The water cannon comment was an exaggeration but it was demonstrate how strongly I feel about this gathering being prevent or dispersed.

Anyone at the protest today is brain dead, anyone defending them is also (I don't mean supporting the cause I mean supporting them being at the protest).

They've shot themselves and their cause in the foot having a public gathering in the middle of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As of Midnight Thursday Galway hasn't had any new cases in 4 days. We might just get away with it.

flazio wrote: »
    As of Midnight Thursday Galway hasn't had any new cases in 4 days. We might just get away with it.

same as either way disgraceful behaviour.
    Who gives these clowns the right to do what they did?
    can you play watch gaa no
    can you go to friends no
    etc etc
    people are in a rage here and other areas as 90pc of pop have adhered and its fkin hard. these selfish clowns will never change

• Advertisement

Being relaxed and easy going does not mean you don't stand up and call out the people involved in an illegal and live endangering gathering as being absolute morons. They deserve to be called out and in my opinion fined and prosecuted. The water cannon comment was an exaggeration but it was demonstrate how strongly I feel about this gathering being prevent or dispersed.

Anyone at the protest today is brain dead, anyone defending them is also (I don't mean supporting the cause I mean supporting them being at the protest).

I get that you're concerned about the virus. I think your paranoia is completely over the top but we'll agree to disagree because it is clear you'll never be swayed.

Calling ordinary people that you know nothing about morons, brain dead, shoot them with water canons, lash out fines, lock them all up - is over the top, offensive and just not on. For me, you are losing whatever argument you're trying to make when you express yourself like that. Incidentally, how many cells do you think the Gardai in Millstreet have? Where or where are we going to lock all these people up who don't fall into your idea of justice? You seem to think we have the military resources of North Korea to call upon at will. We don't. And we should be thankful for that imo.

same as either way disgraceful behaviour.
    Who gives these clowns the right to do what they did?
    can you play watch gaa no
    can you go to friends no
    etc etc
    people are in a rage here and other areas as 90pc of pop have adhered and its fkin hard. these selfish clowns will never change

Really ? Where ?

And who are these "selfish clowns" ? What won't they change from ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

If the mods were consistent they’d move this to its own thread

Really ? Where ?

go look at every forum on here limerick cork Waterford
    see online gbfm fb gal adv christ even the journal comments are broadly against it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really ? Where ?

To be fair, 90% of the thousands of comments online are all against the fact it and similar protests took place.

You don't have to agree, and not everyone does which is up to them, but the vast majority of people are expressing an opinion that they didn't want it to go ahead and it shouldn't have been allowed to take place.

I get that you're concerned about the virus. I think your paranoia is completely over the top but we'll agree to disagree because it is clear you'll never be swayed.

Calling ordinary people that you know nothing about morons, brain dead, shoot them with water canons, lash out fines, lock them all up - is over the top, offensive and just not on. For me, you are losing whatever argument you're trying to make when you express yourself like that. Incidentally, how many cells do you think the Gardai in Millstreet have? Where or where are we going to lock all these people up who don't fall into your idea of justice? You seem to think we have the military resources of North Korea to call upon at will. We don't. And we should be thankful for that imo.

I know all I need to know about them when they went to that protest today. Anyone who concluded that going into an illegal gathering packed into a city centre square in the middle of a global pandemic does not have a functioning brain and I’d gladly say that to the face of anyone of them.

The square should have been cordoned off, there should have been a large Garda presence and the crowd dispersed before it got big and fines handed out to those who won’t go.

There are people today not able to attend a funeral of a loved one as it’s limited to 10 people and you have these scumbags gathering in large groups putting up two fingers to everyone in the county and country who are staying at home and barely leaving the house to shop never mind this type of thing. It’s absolutely disgraceful and anyone supporting them is as bad.

There are few people posting here that would have had 1000’s of deaths on their hands if they were in charge of the country that is a fact as the sickening disregard for the seriousness of the virus is clear to see.

And there you go proving my point for me. Do you ever read back your posts before clicking submit? You've just re-posted your same hysterics from earlier.

I don't really buy it either. You have 20k+ posts on here and you've never been shy about telling us that you're your own man, you do things your way or no way and generally you don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks. But now you are super concerned about everyone's welfare? It doesn't stack up with this persona you've developed here. Are you sure you aren't just super pissed that these protestors might delay your return to the pub?

I couldn't give 2 hoots about the protest, I wasn't next nor near it. But I did have a look at some photos... For some balance and perspective, it all seemed rather tame and civilised to me with many people wearing masks. The chances of the virus spreading as a result of today's events? Almost nil in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

A big **** you to the effort everyone has put in over the past few months as far as I'm concerned.

As pointed out many of us have missed funerals and saying goodbye to loved ones, not visiting family and staying in the gardens, standing in queues to get groceries so shops could maintain social distancing but **** it let's gather in the square and say **** you to everyone who put in an effort.

What annoys me the most is the amount of requests asking them not to go ahead but the selfishness of them to still go ahead and I can guarantee half of them didn't even know why they are there.

There is a time and a place for everything and this was not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

As I predicted most were hippies with purple hair and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Maybe ? Or maybe some actually care about the society they are growing up in. To many of the young their music heroes are black, their friends are black. It's so easy to just spout the usual condemnation.

It's not "the usual condemnation" because these aren't usual times. I'm all for peaceful protest but today wasn't the time or the place for it in light of what's been happening over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Conclusion ... we don't have widespread community transmission here at the current time.

Worth keeping this in mind if anyone is reading the WHO guidelines about face-coverings.

Strange the WHO guidelines aren't really being reported with the same gravitas as some of their pronouncements.

Very surprising to hear that they now say all those over 60 or those with health issues that make them vulnerable should be wearing full medical grade masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I know all I need to know about them when they went to that protest today. Anyone who concluded that going into an illegal gathering packed into a city centre square in the middle of a global pandemic does not have a functioning brain and I’d gladly say that to the face of anyone of them.

The square should have been cordoned off, there should have been a large Garda presence and the crowd dispersed before it got big and fines handed out to those who won’t go.

There are people today not able to attend a funeral of a loved one as it’s limited to 10 people and you have these scumbags gathering in large groups putting up two fingers to everyone in ten county and country who are staying at home and barely leaving the house to shop never mind this type of thing. It’s absolutely disgraceful and anyone supporting them is as bad.

There are few people posting here that would have had 1000’s of deaths on their hands if they were in charge of the country that is a fact as the sickening disregard for the seriousness of the virus is clear to see.

As an outspoken cheerleader for the gang of morons that headed off to Cheltenham when it was obvious to anyone with a bit of cop that they'd bring the infection back (and they did, and they caused deaths) I'm surprised you're outraged at the "sickening disregard" for these protests where social distancing & respiratory etiquette was adhered to.

You claimed you "actually had to laugh" at people condemning the Cheltenham crew, but yet you think the protesters are such "scumbags".

Why are you soft on irresposible people that are involved in activities you enjoy, and so hard on responsible people that are involved in activities you abhor?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Why are you soft on irresposible people that are involved in activities you enjoy, and so hard on responsible people that are involved in activities you abhor?

lol. My thoughts exactly but you’ve managed to articulate it better. The ranting has no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strange the WHO guidelines aren't really being reported with the same gravitas as some of their pronouncements.

Very surprising to hear that they now say all those over 60 or those with health issues that make them vulnerable should be wearing full medical grade masks.

When you really look at their document, it isn't really as dramatic as some would hope.

The document is available from here:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

A key quote:
    Whether or not masks are used, compliance with hand hygiene, physical distancing and other infection prevention and control (IPC) measures are critical to prevent human-to human transmission of COVID-19.

The recommendation for 60+ etc is specifically in "Settings where physical distancing cannot be achieved and increased risk of infection and/or negative outcomes" (page 7).

John_Rambo wrote: »
    As an outspoken cheerleader for the gang of morons that headed off to Cheltenham when it was obvious to anyone with a bit of cop that they'd bring the infection back (and they did, and they caused deaths) I'm surprised you're outraged at the "sickening disregard" for these protests where social distancing & respiratory etiquette was adhered to.

You claimed you "actually had to laugh" at people condemning the Cheltenham crew, but yet you think the protesters are such "scumbags".

Things have changed a hell of a lot since March. Had I understood the situation then as I do now I would not have been in anyway supportive of the Cheltenham crowd.

Also people going there didn’t realise things either, the people going to that protest today know the situation (or certainly should), they know that it’s was illegal, they know there has been a large death toll and we are trying to minimize any further spread but they just said f*uck everyone we are ignorant sh*ts and we will do what we want. Scum every last one of them.

Things have changed a hell of a lot since March. Had I understood the situation then as I do now I would not have been in anyway supportive of the Cheltenham crowd.

Also people going there didn’t realise things either, the people going to that protest today know the situation (or certainly should), they know that it’s was illegal, they know there has been a large death toll and we are trying to minimize any further spread but they just said f*uck everyone we are ignorant sh*ts and we will do what we want. Scum every last one of them.

With hindsight, do you consider the Cheltenham lads “scum”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

You would think that these protestors if they care so much about people's lives would fight against the virus by not having these protests.

Unfortunately some lives matter more than others especially when the BLM movement appear to be more exciting and fashionable than the pandemic.

George a few thousand miles away matters more than your elderly neighbour Bridie down the road.

Selfish fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You would think that these protestors if they care so much about people's lives would fight against the virus by not having these protests.

Unfortunately some lives matter more than others especially when the BLM movement appear to be more exciting and fashionable than the pandemic.

George a few thousand miles away matters more than your elderly neighbour Bridie down the road.

Selfish fcukers.

It's just a fad for some of them. I'd prefer if they focused on controlling the lives that matter in this country by not gathering in large groups. More likes on social media for them doing this perhaps.

Theres absolutely no difference between the dolts that went to Cheltenham and the morons yesterday. Both think they are magically immune to the virus or that thick they dont seem to realise there is a virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So the demo want ahead anyway.

It was irresponsible in the extreme to call for this demonstration during a pandemic.
    It was equally irresponsible to attend.

Advertisement