Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Things have changed a hell of a lot since March. Had I understood the situation then as I do now I would not have been in anyway supportive of the Cheltenham crowd.

Also people going there didn’t realise things either, the people going to that protest today know the situation (or certainly should), they know that it’s was illegal, they know there has been a large death toll and we are trying to minimize any further spread but they just said f*uck everyone we are ignorant sh*ts and we will do what we want. Scum every last one of them.

Scum is right. They couldn’t give a **** about the rest of us. Ironic.

With hindsight, do you consider the Cheltenham lads “scum”?

No because as I said in my previous post peope hadn’t the benefit of really understanding the situation like we do today. They were foolish and should have made the decision not to go but it was still no where near as bad as people meeting at the moment which is against the law and they know well what has happened over the past months and are just giving all the hard work of the majority of people the two fingers. Half them were only there for the insta photos too you can be damn sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Rules are for the little people, those down the ladder.

Not for the little lords and ladies who have to set America straight all the way from Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Danzy wrote: »
    Rules are for the little people, those down the ladder.

Not for the little lords and ladies who have to set America straight all the way from Eyre Square.

Racism & discrimination aren't just in America. My friend's daughter had the audacity to date a black guy - the online abuse has been vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

MOD NOTE

Keep the discussion civil anymore labelling the protestors as scum etc from here on will be met with cards.

You can disagree with the timing of their protest without resorting to abusive language

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Discodog wrote: »
    Racism & discrimination aren't just in America. My friend's daughter had the audacity to date a black guy - the online abuse has been vile.
    Online abuse is a different ball game altogether. It doesn't matter who you are and some people online will use it as a platform for bullying and dragging others down and using it as a tool to dish out their own displeasure of the world. It's certainly not race or colour related. There's so many incidents of online abuse but one that stands out to me is the lady TV presenter from the today show - Maura. She's a beautiful, happy lady but she was slated and literally ripped to shreds online over an outfit she wore. People didn't like the clothes she was wearing one day while presenting and it was used as an excuse to throw online abuse and dirt her way. Online bullying is not race or colour related.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Online abuse is a different ball game altogether. It doesn't matter who you are and some people online will use it as a platform for bullying and dragging others down and using it as a tool to dish out their own displeasure of the world. It's certainly not race or colour related. There's so many incidents of online abuse but one that stands out to me is the lady TV presenter from the today show - Maura. She's a beautiful, happy lady but she was slated and literally ripped to shreds online over an outfit she wore. People didn't like the clothes she was wearing one day while presenting and it was used as an excuse to throw online abuse and dirt her way. Online bullying is not race or colour related.

Of course it is if it mentions racial issues.

Oh & they have had face to face comments too, not just in Galway but in their local village. She has been asked, politely, "Why can't you find a nice Irish Lad" ?

Did you hear the black kid, in tears, on Liveline who gets called racist names practically every day including at school ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Of course it is if it mentions racial issues.

Oh & they have had face to face comments too, not just in Galway but in their local village. She has been asked, politely, "Why can't you find a nice Irish Lad" ?

Did you hear the black kid, in tears, on Liveline who gets called racist names practically every day including at school ?

I'm sorry to read that. That's very poor form.

No, I wasn't listening to liveline.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    And there you go proving my point for me. Do you ever read back your posts before clicking submit? You've just re-posted your same hysterics from earlier.

I don't really buy it either. You have 20k+ posts on here and you've never been shy about telling us that you're your own man, you do things your way or no way and generally you don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks. But now you are super concerned about everyone's welfare? It doesn't stack up with this persona you've developed here. Are you sure you aren't just super pissed that these protestors might delay your return to the pub?

I couldn't give 2 hoots about the protest, I wasn't next nor near it. But I did have a look at some photos... For some balance and perspective, it all seemed rather tame and civilised to me with many people wearing masks. The chances of the virus spreading as a result of today's events? Almost nil in my opinion.

Delay return to the pub??? How about saving a ton of smalls businesses. How about saving your friends livilhood. How about avoiding an impending 10 year depression. How about getting preventative health checks back. But marching around Eyre Square during a pandemic is more important.

And meeting in large groups won't spread this thing anymore? Then wtf have we been doing all this time? Get that information to Leo ASAP that the pandemic is solved.

This whole thing is a complete slap in the face to anyone who took this seriously. Its utterly infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

owlbethere wrote: »
    Online bullying is not race or colour related.

When someone shares the lived experience someone they know has had with racism, replying with 'online bullying is not race or colour related' just makes you look condescending and deliberately obtuse. To a large extent, it obviously is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

No because as I said in my previous post peope hadn’t the benefit of really understanding the situation like we do today. They were foolish and should have made the decision not to go but it was still no where near as bad as people meeting at the moment which is against the law and they know well what has happened over the past months and are just giving all the hard work of the majority of people the two fingers. Half them were only there for the insta photos too you can be damn sure.

There's no excusing Cheltenham.
    Cheltenham took place from 16th to 19th of March at which time Italy was in total lockdown and Corona was headline news globally. I've heard many stories of local outbreaks which relate to people returning from Cheltanham. Particularly in the Midlands and Kerry. It was wrong all the way down.

They quickly cancelled Cheltanham in 2001 with the foot and mouth outbreak because of the fear that the 'financial assets', the horses, might contract it. Horse racing = gambling. This is why horse racing has been slow outside of Cheltanham to cancel meets. Can't stop that gambling money for any reason.

The BLV matter protest was beyond brain-dead.
    It's likely these gatherings around the country in recent weeks has spread the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The take I'm getting here.
    If Galway gets a spike in cases, it's all the protesters fault.
    If Galway doesn't get a spike, we've all been idiots for the past couple of months practising social distancing.
    Have I got that right?
    If that's your outlook, I suggest you ask yourself if this is really who you have to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

flazio wrote: »
    The take I'm getting here.
    If Galway gets a spike in cases, it's all the protesters fault.
    If Galway doesn't get a spike, we've all been idiots for the past couple of months practising social distancing.
    Have I got that right?
    If that's your outlook, I suggest you ask yourself if this is really who you have to be.

Nobody said that but yourself.
    The take you'd be getting if you were reading honestly and not trying to distort people's positions would be that mass gatherings in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown are illegal, unsafe and contrary to scientific and medical opinion.
    If your response to such mass gatherings is to misrepresent those opposing them then I suggest you ask yourself if this is really who you have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Delay return to the pub???.

Relax. That was a tounge-firmly-in-cheek comment, directed at a poster who talks incessantly about going on the lash (before the deadly virus came along of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Loads of masks on show as well as social distancing observed by quite a few. The ones up by the fountain look close knit though.

Well they lied on Friday saying it wouldn't go ahead, secondly it is against the rules as set out by the Government and the WHO to have large groups of people assembled like they are and looking at those photos a lot of them are very close together.

Its townies like yourself that this will affect if there is a spike in cases in about 2 weeks time.

I can see why people protest in the US but come on with all the articles from The Journal and The Irish Times you'd swear we were living in Mississippi back in the 1950s.

Its all bullsh1t.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Nobody said that but yourself.
    The take you'd be getting if you were reading honestly and not trying to distort people's positions would be that mass gatherings in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown are illegal, unsafe and contrary to scientific and medical opinion.
    If your response to such mass gatherings is to misrepresent those opposing them then I suggest you ask yourself if this is really who you have to be.
    I have to be someone who says you cannot delay objection to oppression. When the time comes, not to make an excuse that I'm afraid I'm going to make somebody sick. That I have to stay at home, let somebody else take care of it, it's not my problem or the absolute most evil four words in the English language. I do not care. I live too far away from Galway city centre so I wasn't there. But what I do see is plenty of masks and gloves worn and the message given. I'm educating myself more, will speak out more and be just that little bit kinder to people of different culture to mine. Something I probably wouldn't have done if the protest didn't take place.
    That's who I have to be.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Relax. That was a tounge-firmly-in-cheek comment, directed at a poster who talks incessantly about going on the lash (before the deadly virus came along of course).

Apologies for not being up to date on the back story. All I'm reading is your infuriating arguments supporting mass gatherings in a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

There's no excusing Cheltenham.
    Cheltenham took place from 16th to 19th of March at which time Italy was in total lockdown and Corona was headline news globally. I've heard many stories of local outbreaks which relate to people returning from Cheltanham. Particularly in the Midlands and Kerry. It was wrong all the way down.

They quickly cancelled Cheltanham in 2001 with the foot and mouth outbreak because of the fear that the 'financial assets', the horses, might contract it. Horse racing = gambling. This is why horse racing has been slow outside of Cheltanham to cancel meets. Can't stop that gambling money for any reason

If people are seriously condemning yesterday but condoning Cheltenham, they obviously have objections to a BLM protest, other than concerns about social distancing. Cheltenham had an attendance of 60,000 on day one alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Apologies for not being up to date on the back story. All I'm reading is your infuriating arguments supporting mass gatherings in a pandemic.

You’re reading what you want to read. I never said I support mass gatherings but I don’t support vitriolic hysterical ranting about it either.

I have to be someone who says you cannot delay objection to oppression. When the time comes, not to make an excuse that I'm afraid I'm going to make somebody sick. That I have to stay at home, let somebody else take care of it, it's not my problem or the absolute most evil four words in the English language. I do not care. I live too far away from Galway city centre so I wasn't there. But what I do see is plenty of masks and gloves worn and the message given. I'm educating myself more, will speak out more and be just that little bit kinder to people of different culture to mine. Something I probably wouldn't have done if the protest didn't take place.
    That's who I have to be.

So you support mass gatherings during a pandemic here in Ireland, as long as it's for your favoured issue and you can rationalise it behind convoluted word salad. Thanks for clarifying, it's certainly opened my eyes to the character of the people involved.

How would you feel about mass gatherings organized for an issue you don't support?

• Advertisement

Well they lied on Friday saying it wouldn't go ahead, secondly it is against the rules as set out by the Government and the WHO to have large groups of people assembled like they are and looking at those photos a lot of them are very close together.

Its townies like yourself that this will affect if there is a spike in cases in about 2 weeks time.

I can see why people protest in the US but come on with all the articles from The Journal and The Irish Times you'd swear we were living in Mississippi back in the 1950s.

Its all bullsh1t.

You just gave a validation to the protest & the argument for many more.

Finland has a relatively tiny black community yet thousands of white people protested because they instinctively know that racism is a world wide problem.

Thousands protested in Australia recognising how they have treated the Aboriginals.

Not many Black people in South Korea but thousands took to the streets

But you it's all just bullsh1t

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    So you support mass gatherings during a pandemic here in Ireland, as long as it's for your favoured issue and you can rationalise it beyond convoluted word salad. Thanks for clarifying, it's certainly opened my eyes to the character of the people involved.

How would you feel about mass gatherings organized for an issue you don't support?
    Once masks are being worn properly, as per WHO guidelines, knock yourselves out.

For anyone that missed it. Eleven year old Tre talks about his experiences.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21783160

Starts at 6 minutes

Once masks are being worn properly, as per WHO guidelines, knock yourselves out.

Really? That was how you viewed Gemma and John Waters when they were protesting with their gang of yahoos?

I don't think you're telling the truuuuth.

Thanks for that Dominic Cummings impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You just gave a validation to the protest & the argument for many more.

Finland has a relatively tiny black community yet thousands of white people protested because they instinctively know that racism is a world wide problem.

Thousands protested in Australia recognising how they have treated the Aboriginals.

Not many Black people in South Korea but thousands took to the streets

But you it's all just bullsh1t

What happened to the Aboriginals was genocide, and even when the British stopped shooting them they were treated terribly.

Any African that came here did so of their own free will crossing many countries in Europe before arriving at Dublin airport and then fighting tooth and nail (at taxpayers expense) to be allowed to stay so its a bit much to have them complaining how horrible we are here.

But thats a seperate issue to the fact that they broke the law having a large group of people in one place when they said it wasn't going to happen at all the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just to take some middle ground here. Id have much preferred that the protest didnt go ahead. However When i was going past the organisers were marking out the area around the square for social distancing. The pictures showed some social distancing and a lot of people appeared to be wearing masks. It was an outdoor event and we seem to have a low amount of Covid in the community. I personally wouldnt have gone to such an event and would have told anyone that said they were going to reconsider going.

There was probably as many prople in the same area in salthill during the hot weather without any fuss

However ive noticed a change in most peoples actions over the last few days. There seems to be a belief that we have won the battle. But we are only back to where we were last march at the start of the lockdown. I was at the market yesterday and the area at st pats wasnt great. There were large queues for all stalls and people just hanging around chatting with people (including a councilor). Shopping seems to have changed as far as ive seen and ive started wearing a face mask indoors as there is now a lack of social distancing and a return to the old normal of more than one person per trolley and a lot more browsing and touching of products. To be honest ive found this behaviour far more worrying than the events at the protest.

If people are seriously condemning yesterday but condoning Cheltenham, they obviously have objections to a BLM protest, other than concerns about social distancing. Cheltenham had an attendance of 60,000 on day one alone.

And everyone now knows that it was wrong.

Mass gatherings are not acceptable in a pandemic, these little lords and ladies think the restrictions are for those beneath them.

I haven't seen family in months, 3 neighbours funerals I couldn't attend, work closed and on and on.

But now these pric7s think they are above it all, above everything else.

What happened to the Aboriginals was genocide, and even when the British stopped shooting them they were treated terribly.

Any African that came here did so of their own free will crossing many countries in Europe before arriving at Dublin airport and then fighting tooth and nail (at taxpayers expense) to be allowed to stay so its a bit much to have them complaining how horrible we are here.

But thats a seperate issue to the fact that they broke the law having a large group of people in one place when they said it wasn't going to happen at all the day before.

Do you realise how ignorant your comment appears? Many of these "Africans" were born here, others have worked, paid taxes & been given citizenship. Yet another comment that totally justifies the need to protest.

• Advertisement

Just to take some middle ground here. Id have much preferred that the protest didnt go ahead. However When i was going past the organisers were marking out the area around the square for social distancing. The pictures showed some social distancing and a lot of people appeared to be wearing masks. It was an outdoor event and we seem to have a low amount of Covid in the community. I personally wouldnt have gone to such an event and would have told anyone that said they were going to reconsider going.

However ive noticed a change in most peoples actions over the last few days. There seems to be a belief that we have won the battle. But we are only back to where we were last march at the start of the lockdown. I was at the market yesterday and the area at st pats wasnt great. There were large queues for all stalls and people just hanging around chatting with people (including a councilor). Shopping seems to have changed as far as ive seen and ive started wearing a face mask indoors as there is now a lack of social distancing and a return to the old normal of more than one person per trolley and a lot more browsing and touching of products. To be honest ive found this behaviour far more worrying than the events at the protest.

They're all good points.

My concern at the protest(s) was the rampant double standard. Nearly any media or official mention has been either neutral or endorsing of them, including Leo's statement the day after 5,000 people went through Dublin and they certainly weren't socially distanced. Placing any clique or issue above the rules and above criticism is deeply undemocratic, and potentially lethal in circumstances like this, and every citizen has a duty to challenge it.

Advertisement