Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Discodog wrote: »
    Do you realise how ignorant your comment appears? Many of these "Africans" were born here, others have worked, paid taxes & been given citizenship. Yet another comment that totally justifies the need to protest.

Ignorant to you maybe but but that my take on it and I won't change my opinion.

Worth noting that if their parents weren't given citizenship they might be living in a shanty town in Africa, now that would be something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ignorant to you maybe but but that my take on it and I won't change my opinion.

Worth noting that if their parents weren't given citizenship they might be living in a shanty town in Africa, now that would be something to complain about.

Those two posts show that you are incredibly ignorant on the issue, to more than just one poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Once masks are being worn properly, as per WHO guidelines, knock yourselves out.

WHO guidelines are very clear: masks are not a substitute for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

WHO guidelines are very clear: masks are not a substitute for social distancing.

Social distancing has gone out the window over the last 2-3 weeks. The amount of people sticking to it is fading day by day.

At the moment there's less and less social distancing and less and less masks/coverings being worn. It's obvious to me anyway that people won't really stick to social distancing guidelines, so I'd be in favour of mandatory mask wearing because it's better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

For anyone that missed it. Eleven year old Tre talks about his experiences.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21783160

Starts at 6 minutes

Thank you for sharing this. I'm so sorry to hear about this young boy receiving abuse. It's so sad to hear about this and how there's so many ignorant people so quick to knock someone down. Racism is not ok.

• Advertisement

When someone shares the lived experience someone they know has had with racism, replying with 'online bullying is not race or colour related' just makes you look condescending and deliberately obtuse. To a large extent, it obviously is.

I wasn't dismissing his experience of racism. Online abuse and bullying is happening and it's a big problem. For a lot of these online bullies, there's something else going on with them. A deep unhappiness where they want to dish it out on others. Online abuse and bullying is very real and it's not entirely race related but I can see it can be connected for people who behave in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Arghus wrote: »
    At the moment there's less and less social distancing and less and less masks/coverings being worn. It's obvious to me anyway that people won't really stick to social distancing guidelines, so I'd be in favour of mandatory mask wearing because it's better than nothing.

I, perhaps wrongly, didn't wear a mask up to now. I intend to start doing so during shopping and while taking public transport because I can see things becoming a lot more lax.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

owlbethere wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm so sorry to hear about this young boy receiving abuse. It's so sad to hear about this and how there's so many ignorant people so quick to knock someone down. Racism is not ok.

I can understand kids but not adults. I found it depressing that people assumed the guy, who owned the salon, couldn't be the owner because he is black & asked to see the white manager. How many other kids have the same experience but are too scared to speak out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

They I think now deliberately said it was cancelled and planned going ahead anyway.

They I think now deliberately said it was cancelled and planned going ahead anyway.

So how did so many turn up ?

• Advertisement

I can understand kids but not adults. I found it depressing that people assumed the guy, who owned the salon, couldn't be the owner because he is black & asked to see the white manager. How many other kids have the same experience but are too scared to speak out ?

It is upsetting to hear of these things happening. If kids are being racist it is definitely a parenting issue.

owlbethere wrote: »
    It is upsetting to hear of these things happening. If kids are being racist it is definitely a parenting issue.

He was asked if it was taught or discussed at school & he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Things have changed a hell of a lot since March. Had I understood the situation then as I do now I would not have been in anyway supportive of the Cheltenham crowd.

There was huge awareness in March Nox, my folks and their siblings were cocooning by the second week, the schools were closing, Wuhan and Italy were on fire etc.. The media were reporting on it constantly since February, you'd want to have your head in the sand not to have been aware.

You really have to be more aware and stay on top of things. An outdoor distancing event is much safer than a gangs of boozed up dopes heading on packed flights to a festival in a country ran by morons for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Do isolated incidents of racist abuse, disgraceful as they are, justify mass gatherings in this pandemic?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Do isolated incidents of racist abuse, disgraceful as they are, justify mass gatherings in this pandemic?

I have already said that they shouldn't of held the protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I have already said that they shouldn't of held the protests.

Apologies. I missed that.

I feel sorry for reading that and their experiences. It's very sad to see. I do think Irish people as a whole are good and compassionate people. Sure, there would be a selection of stupid, ignorant backwards people with racism mixed in. Reading of the experiences of people provided here are upsetting, I would like to say, it's not isolated to race. There's been cases here in Ireland of young teenagers committing suicide from bullying so it's not exactly just race and hate crime. There's always going to be fcukwittery sh1te from some people. I myself have experienced this because I'm in the obese category. When someone dishes dirt to me about my weight, I choose to rise above it. I don't carry it around with me. I don't know the people and they are not in my life so it doesn't hurt me. I can remember one instance about 10 years ago after my grandmother died. I had some busy, long days and I never had time to do a shop and there was little food in my apartment and I was hungry and the only place open was supermacs. I went to supermacs. There was a group of teenagers outside who decided to throw fat comments my way as if I go to supermacs every day. A trip to supermacs is a rare occurance for me by the way. I didn't know them. I didn't care what they said. They don't know me. It wasn't the only time I got fat comments my way.

Anyways, the point I'm making is that ignorant comments is not just related from racists and related to race only.

Before someone argues with me about skin colour and obesity like
    Someone can't choose being born with colour,
    You can choose change obesity or bla bla bla bla.

I was about 8 years old when I started to put on weight. It came from a poor diet in childhood because of borderline poverty because my father was an alcoholic. I certainly didn't choose that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think the key point many people miss is the titanic difference between systemic racism that stems from centuries of oppression/adversity and plain isolated racism that exists in every culture regardless of the racial make-up.

No-one is claiming that Ireland has zero racism. Does any country in the entire world? No.

There is no utopia on this earth that doesn't have some incidents of racism.

But Ireland is not the US, and what they're going through is not "the same" as Ireland. Not even close, and it's insulting when people suggest it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I feel very conflicted about it all.

I fully support their message, but I can't get past the essential irresponsibility of holding a public gathering - and multiple public gatherings elsewhere - like this, in light of the ongoing public health situation.

Saying there's a time and a place for protests is usually just code for not supporting people protesting full stop, in this case I think there was a time: but it wasn't now.

It's just stupid to gather people together like that in huge numbers after putting in huge efforts to suppress a dangerous and infectious disease, when things are still totally on a knife edge.

It's madness and I think it's a dereliction of duty of those on the left - and I'd count myself in that group - to largely ignore that uncomfortable but undeniable fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Homelander wrote: »
    I think the key point many people miss is the titanic difference between systemic racism that stems from centuries of oppression/adversity and plain isolated racism that exists in every culture regardless of the racial make-up.

No-one is claiming that Ireland has zero racism. Does any country in the entire world? No.

There is no utopia on this earth that doesn't have some incidents of racism.

But Ireland is not the US, and what they're going through is not "the same" as Ireland. Not even close, and it's insulting when people suggest it is.
    You seem to be suggesting that things are going to stay the same and never change, so stop trying and just accept it. The reason why there is racism is somebody is teaching racism to children and it's getting passed down. If you get to children of all social classes early enough and nip it in the bud, as they grow they'll call out the older generations and it will become unacceptable throughout. It's only impossible if you refuse to try.

is everyone at the marches going to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks?

are they fk..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

is everyone at the marches going to quarantine themselves gor 2 weeks?

are they fk..

Rules are for the little people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Homelander wrote: »
    US have a slavery history where people were forced there to work.

Not a single foreigner is in Ireland by force*.
    They are all here because they chose to come (or their parents chose for them).

*except some trafficked here for begging or prostitution

biko wrote: »
    US have a slavery history where people were forced there to work.

Not a single foreigner is in Ireland by force*.
    They are all here because they chose to come (or their parents chose for them).

*except some trafficked here for begging or prostitution

Are you suggesting that, because of this, they should accept whatever happens to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am highlighting that the issues Africans face in US and in Ireland are not the same.

BLM US was started because of the killing of Trayvon Martin and is focused on police brutality.
    That isn't the case in Ireland.

There is a second dimension of slavery and racial segregation.
    That isn't the case in Ireland.

There is racism in Ireland, as is all countries, and people are right to protest if their rights are infringed, but to call people to mass gatherings during a pandemic for what happened in US seems to me counterproductive - you are actually endangering lives in a very real way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think a lot of racism is just cnuts being cnuts and they know that by saying racist **** to a black person is the best insult they can vomit out. Scummy little pr1cks. I used to have to cycle by a playground on was to a Nightshift, playground beside Roisin dubh, and a gang of like gimps used to try and get a reaction out of me, pedophile was the name they seemed to favour, if I was black it would be the nword.

There will be no spike in cases of C-19 from these sort of outdoor events when social distancing is adhered to along with the low cases of infection in the community.

Taking flights to a festival in the second week of March after what we'd seen in Italy was pure madness and anyone supporting them then and now really needs to pay more attention to what's going on.

Ignorance and cluelessness which was previously amusing and a source of mild entertainment is now dangerous and irresponsible.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There will be no spike in cases of C-19 from these sort of outdoor events when social distancing is adhered to along with the low cases of infection in the community.

Taking flights to a festival in the second week of March after what we'd seen in Italy was pure madness and anyone supporting them then and now really needs to pay more attention to what's going on.

Ignorance and cluelessness which was previously amusing and a source of mild entertainment is now dangerous and irresponsible.

we may be lucky, but as its two weeks always behind we have no idea.
    they did not have the right to take even 1pc chance with our lifes.
    Disgusting too to fake call it off and then hold it anyway. i know all i need to know about how these clowns work

• Advertisement

we may be lucky, but as its two weeks always behind we have no idea.
    they did not have the right to take even 1pc chance with our lifes.
    Disgusting too to fake call it off and then hold it anyway. i know all i need to know about how these clowns work

Luck is great, but we're better off dealing with knowledge and facts.

We know it's not in the community.
    We know social distancing and respiratory etiquette works
    We know outdoors is safer than indoors.

Comparing it with the Cheltenham carry on is a joke. Very ill informed.

Advertisement