Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniden UBC-125XLT

• 02-06-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey new here and new to radio scanners but I am interested in picking one up and came across the Uniden UBC-125XLT. My questions are does it work here in Ireland? And if so is it worth it? Can I listen in on the gardai/ambulance service/fire brigade/airports/taxis **** like that? I live in Wicklow myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

GoonTape wrote: »
    Hey new here and new to radio scanners but I am interested in picking one up and came across the Uniden UBC-125XLT. My questions are does it work here in Ireland? And if so is it worth it? Can I listen in on the gardai/ambulance service/fire brigade/airports/taxis **** like that? I live in Wicklow myself.

1) Yes, it does work here. It works everywhere.

2) Depends on what you mean by "worth it", I think so because I can listen to marine traffic, aircraft and various other odds and sods.

3) No, you won't be able to monitor the emergency services as they use Tetra scrambled radios. However, an exception is the Fire Service as they still use VHF for on-scene comms here and there. Taxis and aircraft yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GoonTape

RadioRetro wrote: »

2) Depends on what you mean by "worth it", I think so because I can listen to marine traffic, aircraft and various other odds and sods.

3) No, you won't be able to monitor the emergency services as they use Tetra scrambled radios. However, an exception is the Fire Service as they still use VHF for on-scene comms here and there. Taxis and aircraft yes indeed.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. One more thing, will I be able to pick up Dublin airport from down here in Wicklow? Same goes for ships, can I only listen in when they are in the port?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. One more thing, will I be able to pick up Dublin airport from down here in Wicklow? Same goes for ships, can I only listen in when they are in the port?

It's all to do with line-of-sight, so you probably won't get the airport side of conversations but you should get the aircraft as they're up high. I'm in Wexford and I get aircraft on Dublin Approach or tower.

With regard to shipping, I can hear Rosslare Europort (a few km away) comms as ships dock and set sail, ferries reporting persons on board etc. to the Coast Guard (Irish) and the Coastguard (Welsh), and if conditions are favourable the Welsh CG replying. At the weekend conditions were good so I could hear Milford Haven Coastguard coordinate a search for two kids adrift on an inflatable, all ended well. I've also heard conversations between ships out to sea in both English and foreign languages. The foreign convos I don't bother with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GoonTape

It's all to do with line-of-sight, so you probably won't get the airport side of conversations but you should get the aircraft as they're up high. I'm in Wexford and I get aircraft on Dublin Approach or tower.

With regard to shipping, I can hear Rosslare Europort (a few km away) comms as ships dock and set sail, ferries reporting persons on board etc. to the Coast Guard (Irish) and the Coastguard (Welsh), and if conditions are favourable the Welsh CG replying. At the weekend conditions were good so I could hear Milford Haven Coastguard coordinate a search for two kids adrift on an inflatable, all ended well. I've also heard conversations between ships out to sea in both English and foreign languages. The foreign convos I don't bother with!

Sounds promising and worth it, thanks man.

Sounds promising and worth it, thanks man.

There are two pc programs that you can use to control the scanner and load frequencies. Scan125 is free while Arc125 is paid for. I use both, with a bias towards the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

You dont need to pay over the odds for a scanner also you can pick them up quite cheaply second hand ie:

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/scanner-radio-shack/20139421

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 will27

Hi I am in Waterford and have a radio scanner. What frequencies are the taxis on?
    Thanks
    Will

I'm not often in Waterford (I live in Wexford) but last time down I got one cab company on 168.360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 will27

I'm not often in Waterford (I live in Wexford) but last time down I got one cab company on 168.360.

Tahnk you

Will 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Old Frequency list but you might get what you are looking for:

http://irishradio.tripod.com/freqs.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement