Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Out of curiosity, why the "seriously wtf" for a cyclist with headphones (which I am not encouraging but has negligible effect on the safety) but not similar expression for the law breaking and unsafe drivers?
    If I cycle whilst listening to music, how am I going to injure someone (assuming I'm being as observant as I would be normally)? If I am listening to music, how will that stop a passing car from driving too close? It's somewhat of a strawman argument!

try not to focus on tiny point but look at the wider message - I gave an example of a few acts of what I see as having a lack of awareness - full ear covering cans on the road (in my mind) is as stupid as driving through a city with the volume up full whack.

I am deliberately not making this an "us vs them" statement, like every other thread on this godforsaken corner of the internet.

If you want to get into it tho - listening to loud music will not (of course) stop a car from close passing you, but you are more likely to be aware of it (hazzard perception, which was my point) by using all of your senses. By deliberate deadening one of your main senses you cannot possible be just as observant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kenmm wrote: »
    I think the point is - tarting up crappy old bus lanes with those wands isnt working - and from what punisher is witnessing is that more cyclists are staying out in thr driving lanes. They do understand their usage - but the reality of how they are being used differs from what the planners originally thought.

I think they are terrible, as a cyclists upon entering them has the choice - enter and be restricted to ~15kmph (or whatever the slowest cyclist is doing ahead, as they are so narrow there is no room fro overtaking) or stay out of the cycle lane and stick to ~30kmph, which is often slower than the traffic, but with the freedom to overtake, turn right etc.
    Firstly they haven't been tested properly because most people are still staying at home.
    However, the still is a complete lack of enforcement; partly because the enforcers tend to ignore them also...
    Gardai.png?resize=650%2C276&ssl=1

This does not mean that we should not have them if the choice is between a wand segregated cycle lane and cyclists mixing directly with traffic.
    However, yes, some cyclists may choose to stay in the regular lane, as is their right. But given the number of "new" cyclists out there, we need some way that allows them to feel safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Firstly they haven't been tested properly because most people are still staying at home.
    However, the still is a complete lack of enforcement; partly because the enforcers tend to ignore them also...
    Gardai.png?resize=650%2C276&ssl=1

This does not mean that we should not have them if the choice is between a wand segregated cycle lane and cyclists mixing directly with traffic.
    However, yes, some cyclists may choose to stay in the regular lane, as is their right. But given the number of "new" cyclists out there, we need some way that allows them to feel safe.

ye fair enough - more testing required is what I will say then.

That pic is brilliant tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I'd say the most ignorant ones on the road are the cars killing and maiming people, bikes are totally harmless in comparison
    I saw a cyclist cycle out of his house in an effort to cross 2 lanes of traffic.
    If I hadn't spotted him and directed him in front of the car he would have been absolutely creamed by a garbage truck in front of his house. That was fairly ignorant on his part.
    I absolutely hate that "im going to kill or injure myself unless you yield to me" attitude some road users have, not exclusively bikers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Great idea put in more wands so cyclists will just stay out on the road

Tried that already, car drivers keep destroying them when they park over them. Maybe if certain car drivers refrained from doing stuff like that then more measures wouldn't be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Amirani wrote: »
    Tried that already, car drivers keep destroying them when they park over them. Maybe if certain car drivers refrained from doing stuff like that then more measures wouldn't be needed.

But cycle lanes for up till now we're free game for parking after 7pm and even others from 10 to 12 or up to 4pm at times....

Bus lanes, bus stops and clearway actually kept clear would really speed up public transport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But cycle lanes for up till now we're free game for parking after 7pm and even others from 10 to 12 or up to 4pm at times....
    i will always go back to the fact that *by far* the worst bus lane/cycle lane within several km of my house, for people parking in during the operational hours of the bus lane, is the one directly outside the front door of the local garda station.

i will always go back to the fact that *by far* the worst bus lane/cycle lane within several km of my house, for people parking in during the operational hours of the bus lane, is the one directly outside the front door of the local garda station.

Rathmines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just shut down the entire city centre in Dublin to traffic, start at the castleknock gates and draw a big circle in both directions. Then based on that anything inside it just stop all traffic apart from bus/train/taxi/bike etc. Job done.

Next one please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just shut down the entire city centre in Dublin to traffic, start at the castleknock gates and draw a big circle in both directions. Then based on that anything inside it just stop all traffic apart from bus/train/taxi/bike etc. Job done.

Next one please
    You forgot that city centre shops need deliveries..

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    You forgot that city centre shops need deliveries..

Most shops are now getting deliveries at night time....

Most large construction sites now get deliveries at night time as well. You could easily have traffic open during the night time if large deliveries are required....

If you have a will you will find a way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Most shops are now getting deliveries at night time....
    You didn't mention time limits first time round :P

Big issue is road sweeping, bin trucks, deliveries(where to load or unload),
    Getting in or out of bus stops as buses are quite large....

Big issue is road sweeping, bin trucks, deliveries(where to load or unload),
    Getting in or out of bus stops as buses are quite large....

Road sweepers are tiny, not sure why you would want a big one in a city centre

Bin trucks are once a week

Deliveries should be done at night anyway if large deliveries, Tesco etc all do at nighttime.

Road sweepers are tiny, not sure why you would want a big one in a city centre

Bin trucks are once a week

Deliveries should be done at night anyway if large deliveries, Tesco etc all do at nighttime.

The road sweepers don't fit, have watched the smaller ones too....

The road sweepers don't fit, have watched the smaller ones too....

What road are they sweeping? :-)

Tell the lad to get out with the brush will do his heath the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Let me clarify in the comments I made, as a bus driver we have a particular set of skills.... This is reading the road ahead, beside and behind....

In near 80% of the time we know when the person is going to step out, run out or can see the cyclist will change direction before they even decided to.

What's happening more over this unforseen pandemic is the amount now that don't look and give no pre warning they are going to do stupid things.

And for the stupid comments made towards me, yes of course I can see the kids and know they are wobbly and could swerve so won't pass until I can give much more room then usual if that makes sense to you.

It's serious out there and one thing I've noticed with the 30km/h speed limits is more pedestrian and cyclists take bigger risks and will just walk out or cycle across in front.

If you are doing 30kmph or less you can stop in a shorter distance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Rathmines?
    ballymun. there are never not cars parked in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Is there anything to suggest that, if we return to pre-COVID levels of rush hour traffic, that the 30kph speed limit would make any difference to journey time at all?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Is there anything to suggest that, if we return to pre-COVID levels of rush hour traffic, that the 30kph speed limit would make any difference to journey time at all?

F**k all....if you are doing 30kph you are flying in :-)

• Advertisement

I think the only ones likely to be nabbed are motorcyclists and cyclists. All the drivers will be crawling along, you could have a 15kph limit and they'd still be safe midweek.

Chiparus wrote: »
    If you are doing 30kmph or less you can stop in a shorter distance.

True but not if they step out a foot or two in front of you.

I think the only ones likely to be nabbed are motorcyclists and cyclists.
    nabbed for what? there's no speed limit for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

nabbed for what? there's no speed limit for cyclists.

is that true ? I'm a cyclist, and a motorist, and a pedestrian, i'm a person and i have very little opinion on whether it is a good or bad thing that there is no speed limit for bikes but i do find it a strange one. Is it because bikes don't have to have speedometers?

Vestiapx wrote: »
    is that true ? I'm a cyclist, and a motorist, and a pedestrian, i'm a person and i have very little opinion on whether it is a good or bad thing that there is no speed limit for bikes but i do find it a strange one. Is it because bikes don't have to have speedometers?

They're not MPVs i.e. no engines.

yep, they're not required to have speedos, and cyclists 'speeding' was never historically an issue anyway. certainly before the first 30km/h limits were adopted, it'd take a very fit cyclist to beat 50km/h on the flat, and even with that, the amount of kinetic energy they'd be carrying compared to a car is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

They're not MPVs i.e. no engines.
    I have an electric bike with narrow tyres its within the current legal spec, but its a very fast and easy way to get up to 25kmph and in can easilly do 35kmph.

I know this from using an app on my phone, I also know that if I'm overtaking all the 30kmph traffic that there will be a backlash from the anti cyclists. Will my bike then be MPV although I wont be using the power over 25kmph?

no, as it meets current legal standards for an e-bike, legally it's considered a pedal cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

km/h

...is the correct abbreviation.

• Advertisement

there are multiple correct abbreviations.
    km/h is the SI unit, but since people know what is meant by kmph, it's not an issue.

Advertisement