Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kenmm wrote: »
    Exactly - so doing one thing (30 limit) alone isn't enough (although maybe there are more plans in the pipeline anyway, who knows).

Research and invest, that's what's needed. Find out the facts and model/ test this.

But they have tested for year, as far as I know IBM done a huge smarter cities plan for Dublin. It was mentioned somewhere a few years back. The whole point of that project was to tell DCC how to change traffic etc. I don't know what the output was

But they are constantly monitoring traffic in Dublin. You would expect they have the information at this stage.

The 30km is good from the point of view of safety but I doubt it will have any affect on numbers. Actually I know it will have no affect on cars. People wont give a crap, they will just hope they Garda dont catch them. Same as all the people who jump in and out of bus lanes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Exactly - so doing one thing (30 limit) alone isn't enough
    i don't think anyone is claiming that this on its own is a solution, though. it just happens to be one you can implement quickly and with little infrastructural investment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

i don't think anyone is claiming that this on its own is a solution, though. it just happens to be one you can implement quickly and with little infrastructural investment.

And I have little doubt that every single one of the other measures they implement will be similarly challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Cars don’t belong in built up city centres. Especially when people seem to have no consideration for anyone but themselves.

Ban them outright and make a nice centre centre for people and tourists
    As a pedestrian I think cyclists should be banned. At least drivers stay on the road and usually pay attention to things like red lights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

PommieBast wrote: »
    As a pedestrian I think cyclists should be banned. At least drivers stay on the road and usually pay attention to things like red lights.
    Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

No need for go safe cameras then, they will never catch anything.

https://www.thejournal.ie/county-breakdown-penalty-points-ireland-2019-4873575-Dec2019/

If you walk along in the middle of the road like most people do in the bicycle lane expect the cars to be an issue as well

I know it’s dufficult to see the monster bicycles painted on the road while you walk along with your head stick in a phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

drivers ... usually pay attention to things like red lights.
    damning with faint praise, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

damning with faint praise, eh?

And 'usually' meaning not the first or last 5 seconds of red (i.e. just after they go red, or just before they change again)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

But they have tested for year, as far as I know IBM done a huge smarter cities plan for Dublin. It was mentioned somewhere a few years back. The whole point of that project was to tell DCC how to change traffic etc. I don't know what the output was

But they are constantly monitoring traffic in Dublin. You would expect they have the information at this stage.

The 30km is good from the point of view of safety but I doubt it will have any affect on numbers. Actually I know it will have no affect on cars. People wont give a crap, they will just hope they Garda dont catch them. Same as all the people who jump in and out of bus lanes

What happens if a garda member sets up a speed check in a 30 zone catches a few drivers doing lets say 37/38 yet cyclists who might be doing the exact same speed are let go? There'd be uproar!
    30km/h makes sense only in specific areas like parts of the quays near happeny bridge, O'Connell street, parnell street, Jervis street, dawson street and some residential areas etc.
    A 30km/h speed limit on the Merrion road and around pearse street, mount street, James' street and Mountbrown makes no sense, especially so at night. If common sense isn't applied to where 30km/h speed limits are placed its simple: people won't comply with it

• Advertisement

jams100 wrote: »
    What happens if a garda member sets up a speed check in a 30 zone catches a few drivers doing lets say 37/38 yet cyclists who might be doing the exact same speed are let go? There'd be uproar!
    there may be, would it be justified?
    the gardai can't stop the cyclists for speeding anyway, it's going to be pretty rare, and pandering to public 'uproar' which ignores the difference between someone in a one and a half ton vehicle doing 38km/h to someone on a 15kg vehicle doing 38km/h, is a weird thing to pander to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    They are clearly not getting enough cash from catching people speeding.
    The GoSafe contract costs the State about €10m a year more to run than it brings in on fines. That's a couple of schools not being built each year because drivers can't be arsed obeying speed limits.
    Where is here?

To think the law is being brought in for the benefit of cyclists. The biggest bunch of rulebreaking ignorant no test no taxed ****ers on the road.
    We have 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits in the recent RSA Speed Survey, so you might want to review your 'biggest bunch of rulebreaking' comments.

I'm delighted to hear that I don't have to pay tax though. Where do I apply for a refund on all my tax paid last year please?
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Not really. Ive no problem maintaing a constant speed in a normal speed zone but its an effort to maintain such a low speed. I drive an automatic and any pressure on the accelerator for more than 2 seconds would have it going faster than that. Very easy to unintentionally go faster, hence the need to monitor it.
    How do you manage to get around in car parks?

Drivers kill on average close to one pedestrian each week on average. And have a look through these photos and tell me again about how drivers stay on the road? https://twitter.com/search?q=%23makewayday&src=typed_query&f=image

there may be, would it be justified?
    the gardai can't stop the cyclists for speeding anyway, it's going to be pretty rare, and pandering to public 'uproar' which ignores the difference between someone in a one and a half ton vehicle doing 38km/h to someone on a 15kg vehicle doing 38km/h, is a weird thing to pander to.

Stand on dame street and watch cyclists speed coming on the downhill stretch from Christchurch. I'm not an anti-cyclist by any means, earlier in this thread I was asking why it takes 4 years to build a cycle lane on the quays? Somethings just have to be gotten on with but I stand by my point if I was caught doing 37 at 8am on Sunday morning and a cyclist doing the same speed was let go I'd be furious (I would be in the bracket of a safe driver btw, very rarely break speed limits no penalty points etc). My overall point is that a blanket 30km/h speed limit is ridiculous

And 'usually' meaning not the first or last 5 seconds of red (i.e. just after they go red, or just before they change again)! :D

I dunno.

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1268603780548964354?s=20

Stand on dame street and watch cyclists speed coming on the downhill stretch from Christchurch. I'm not an anti-cyclist by any means, earlier in this thread I was asking why it takes 4 years to build a cycle lane on the quays? Somethings just have to be gotten on with but I stand by my point if I was caught doing 37 at 8am on Sunday morning and a cyclist doing the same speed was let go I'd be furious (I would be in the bracket of a safe driver btw, very rarely break speed limits no penalty points etc). My overall point is that a blanket 30km/h speed limit is ridiculous

You understand the difference in danger to others between being hit by a 1-3 tonne vehicle and being hit by a 10-20kg bike?

You understand the difference in danger to others between being hit by a 1-3 tonne vehicle and being hit by a 10-20kg bike?

They are both bad!
    Obviously a car would appear to be worse, they could both give bad injuries either way.
    Again to get back on topic, an overall blanket 30km/h speed limit just doesn't make sense and won't be obeyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

It was a generalisation and slightly flippant / attempt at adding some humour to yet another motorists vs cyclist bs thread.

Generally tho motorists who do RLJ do so around sequence change time (extended amber gambling). Cyclists who do it, generally do it at anytime if there is no oncoming traffic. There are always exceptions and some motorists and cyclist even stop on red!

But this mess of a thread was about speed limits, there are 1 million driver/cyclist/red light/scooter/ threads already.

They are both bad!
    Obviously a car would appear to be worse
    *appear* to be worse?

and yes, they are both bad but just because they are on a continuum does not mean they should be treated equally. for example, certain heavy vehicles have special lower speed limits which apply to them, and this is accepted as sensible.

FWIW, a car travelling at 38km/h (assumed total weight of car, contents, and occupants=1,500kg) has the same kinetic energy as a cyclist (total weight 100KG) doing 150km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

30 is a retarded speed. Hopping around in 1st 2nd gear? Good way to burn more fuel I suppose. Could imagine it would make some trips far more arduous.

If I happens I hope everyone drives in from of garda and don't move over. Seeing the speed most of them soon around town would be quite frustrating for them. :D

30km/h makes sense only in specific areas like parts of the quays near happeny bridge, O'Connell street, parnell street, Jervis street, dawson street and some residential areas etc.
    A 30km/h speed limit on the Merrion road and around pearse street, mount street, James' street and Mountbrown makes no sense, especially so at night. If common sense isn't applied to where 30km/h speed limits are placed its simple: people won't comply with it

Why would their be uproar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

30 is a retarded speed. Hopping around in 1st 2nd gear? Good way to burn more fuel I suppose. Could imagine it would make some trips far more arduous.

If I happens I hope everyone drives in from of garda and don't move over. Seeing the speed most of them soon around town would be quite frustrating for them. :D

Cant understand the need to race to get to the end of the next queue of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭micar

What happens if a garda member sets up a speed check in a 30 zone catches a few drivers doing lets say 37/38 yet cyclists who might be doing the exact same speed are let go?

A person cycling within the city will rarely get up to those speeds.....It's pure race pace.

I suggest you get a bike and try.

I would average about 28km per hour......ranging between 25-30km per hour and I'm a decent cyclist.

Vast majority would cycle under 20 km per hour

Buying an auto and you won’t know what gear your in

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you find that you can only use 1st and 2nd gears when driving at 30km/h if recommend getting some driving lessons tbh!
    How mature! Let's all block the emergency services because the council have brought in a new speed limit.
    Anyhow the gardai are ****** for not letting us get to the next set of red lights quickly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

If you find that you can only use 1st and 2nd gears when driving at 30km/h if recommend getting some driving lessons tbh!

How mature! Let's all block the emergency services because the council have brought in a new speed limit.
    Anyhow the gardai are ****** for not letting us get to the next set of red lights quickly :rolleyes:

18mph is a pretty low speed....what gear you suggesting rolling around in? In 3rd gear even in my piece of **** you'd be looking at touching the accelerator to be breaking the "law"....

And obviously not blocking for people with flashing lights that would be unethical. But there's a high proportion of Garda in Dublin City centre that speed every damn where they please and clearly not going anywhere special.

18mph is a pretty low speed
    it is, and it happens to be over one and a half times what the average rush hour speed in dublin was before the pox hit.

even now - a sunday evening where traffic is very light, according to google maps the drive from DCU to UCD would be done at an average speed of 32km/h. a 30km/h limit would barely change that.

18mph is a pretty low speed....what gear you suggesting rolling around in? In 3rd gear even in my piece of **** you'd be looking at touching the accelerator to be breaking the "law"....

And obviously not blocking for people with flashing lights that would be unethical. But there's a high proportion of Garda in Dublin City centre that speed every damn where they please and clearly not going anywhere special.

Have you driven in Dublin during rush hour? unless you are one of those plonkers that races from one red light to another you hardly ever go up any gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If you walk along in the middle of the road like most people do in the bicycle lane expect the cars to be an issue as well
    Last time a cyclist collided with me it was on the pavement and I had just stepped out of a building. He was riding right up against the wall. :mad:

Last time a cyclist collided with me it was on the pavement and I had just stepped out of a building. He was riding right up against the wall. :mad:

Yes I’m sure that happened :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

I’m 99% certain that cyclists can’t be prosecuted for the specific offence of speeding so there’s no need to be furious if they’re “let go”

Advertisement