Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ronoc wrote: »
    Broadly in favour of this in residential, built up and school zones.
    It also needs to be on arterial routes for the forseeable future.
    Given that public transport is running at a max of 20% capacity, more and more people will be cycling to work.
    If the authorities plan on mixing commuting cyclists and drivers (through decades of bad infrastructure design) then vehicle speeds needs to decrease on these commuting routes. There really are no ifs or buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Let me quote a definition of hybrid for you below....

of mixed character; composed of different elements.

Which you qualified with "their initiative/rules vs just stupid blanket rules is beyond me".

So I'm going to ignore any of those stupid blanket rules I get caught breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,492 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hurrache wrote: »
    Getting as quickly as possible into 4th makes no sense

sure it does; 1->48 in first, 49/50 ish into forth :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I

What are the end results of these public consultations, do a strong rebuke from the public actually make a difference?

I.

Anybody know?

Did this pass the initial approval stage, and is it possible to see who voted for/ against it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hopefully the public vote counts for nothing

If anything was shown by the election Irish people should not be allowed to vote :-)

• Advertisement

Can anybody in favour of this nonense explain why I can do 50km on Howth Rd but have to drop down to 30km between the junction of it and Clontarf Rd, for a few hundred metres to Annelsley Bridge, despite the area being saturated in on path bicycle tracks?

Or why the Clontarf Rd from Dollymount to the turn for Raheny is probably the widest non dual carriageway road in Dublin (and the most disrepaired I'd say) but the limit will be 30km?

There isn't even an effort for consistency with this. It's like where you can have a big road as a 60 zone (Souther Cross in Bray for example) and a small bendy road just beyond it at 80 or 100km (because you can't park a speed van on the 100km road)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Can anybody in favour of this nonense explain why I can do 50km on Howth Rd but have to drop down to 30km between the junction of it and Clontarf Rd, for a few hundred metres to Annelsley Bridge, despite the area being saturated in on path bicycle tracks?

Or why the Clontarf Rd from Dollymount to the turn for Raheny is probably the widest non dual carriageway road in Dublin (and the most disrepaired I'd say) but the limit will be 30km?

There isn't even an effort for consistency with this. It's like where you can have a big road as a 60 zone (Souther Cross in Bray for example) and a small bendy road just beyond it at 80 or 100km (because you can't park a speed van on the 100km road)

I can't imagine numbers are just pulled out of the air.
    These things are based on 85th percentile speed, number of accidents, population density, number of cars driving on the road etc. and will incorporate traffic flow management to reduce overall speed of people heading to a busier area so that too many cars don't all get to a location and then sit in traffic there.

For instance, if a load of people set off for work at 8am, some on the Howth road, some on the coast rd towards town, then they'll all converge at Fairview at around the same time.

Slowing down one/some of these roads, and keeping Amiens st. at the same speed limit, will mean a lot of people will get through Fairview and off Amiens st. by the time those on the slower road get there. This way, the people travelling that bit slower won't be hampered too much because by the time they hit Fairview there won't be as many cars coming off the Howth Rd and it won't be backed up as much. Pair that with a change of the light sequence so those on the slower road have priority or a longer time to get through the lights and it could balance out fairly well. They won't just make one whole stretch slow and one fast though because then nobody will use the slow one and make things worse so they probably do some number crunching and determine logical areas to reduce the speed to manage traffic better.

I doubt it'll work that way in practice but it's an idea behind what they're trying to do other than just slowing speed limits so they can fine people.

Was none of this answered in the released documentation?
    https://councilmeetings.dublincity.ie/documents/g4022/Public%20reports%20pack%2003rd-Jun-2020%2015.00%20Traffic%20and%20Transport%20SPC.pdf?T=10)

What did your local councillors say when you asked them these questions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anybody know?

Did this pass the initial approval stage, and is it possible to see who voted for/ against it?
    do you think the general public are generally qualified to decide what speed limits should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I mentioned earlier in this thread, about Conor Faughnan of the AA not being at all happy about the proposed 30kp/h zones, specially as they are to be installed on perfectly modern roads designed for much greater speeds.....

His theory being that you can't just impose a 30km/h limit on a perfectly straight dual carriageway for no other reason than [a new sign] which now says 30km/h :cool:

Drivers will learn to be be flexible with 30km/h on such main arterial roads, thus (according to him) instilling a certain disrespect amongst drivers for sensible speed limits.

He's a regular on Pat Kenny's radio show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true, a significant number of drivers already show wilful disrespect for plenty of existing laws, and you can't ask a leopard to change their spots.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, about Conor Faughnan of the AA not being at all happy about the proposed 30kp/h zones, specially as they are to be installed on perfectly modern roads designed for much greater speeds.....

His theory being that you can't just impose a 30km/h limit on a perfectly straight dual carriageway for no other reason than [a new sign] which now says 30km/h :cool:

Drivers will learn to be be flexible with 30km/h on such main arterial roads, thus (according to him) instilling a certain disrespect amongst drivers for sensible speed limits.

Firstly, Pat Kenny's show would not be a suitable place if you hope to have an impartial discussion on transport!

Secondly, when you say that the roads were designed for much greater speeds, were they designed just for cars or for multiple transport modes?
    As a cyclist, I assume that CF mentioned the dire lack of safe cycling infrastructure and that much of the existing infrastructure can actually make a commute more hazardous for cyclists (which is why many cyclists won't use it)?
    Incidentally, did he say it was also safe to have these higher speeds at the same time as pedestrians stepping out onto the road as part of social distancing and an increased number of cyclists on the roads because busses are running at a 20% capacity?

Thirdly, is CF's theory about not imposing a speed limit anything to do with his role as a PR spokesman for the AA ro on transport in general?

I don't care what Conor Faughan says to be honest. He also complained about electric cars for a long time because he knew AA roadwatch would be dead in the water with electric cars becaues they dont break. Then as soon as the number grew he was all over the electric car forums telling everyone how he always supported them

He is full of poo.

If every other country in Europe can implement a 30km speed limit and they have far superior roads around their cities why exactly does Conor think we cant do it in Dublin? or he talking more poo?

Also AA dont have much money out of bikes, so of course he will be rambling on about cars. He is literally been paid to keep as many cars as possible on the road

What did your local councillors say when you asked them these questions?

Hard to even find how who voted for/ against this.
    As a cyclist,

Are you actually a cyclist or a satirical character posing as one for l0lz here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

At least it's safer for cyclists now.

Hopefully it'll be enforced.

I do think cyclist dont help themselves. Hopefully they will reduce to 30km/h but then cyclist need to cop the f**k on as well. Plenty of asshat car drivers but also plenty of asshat cyclist around the roads.

the difference between an asshat car driver and an asshat cyclist, is one brings a gun to the fight, the other a rusty swiss army knife.

unless of course their chain hygiene is good, then it's a well oiled swiss army knife.

Hard to even find how who voted for/ against this.
    Have you asked them what way they voted?
    Are you actually a cyclist or a satirical character posing as one for l0lz here.
    I was referring to Conor Faughnan who is a cyclist!

conor faughnan is an interesting character. he's a lobbyist for car drivers, while having enough sense to realise that bikes are more sensible and efficient (certainly for him); so is he a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a sheep in wolf's clothing, or none of the above?

the difference between an asshat car driver and an asshat cyclist, is one brings a gun to the fight, the other a rusty swiss army knife.

unless of course their chain hygiene is good, then it's a well oiled swiss army knife.

Not really an excuse

• Advertisement

good chain hygiene is *always* an excuse. never trust a cyclist who doesn't look after their chain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

good chain hygiene is *always* an excuse. never trust a cyclist who doesn't look after their chain.

A clean bike is a sign of an unhealthy mind

chains =/= bikes

though i'll admit the chain is 30% of a bike in terms of importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I do think cyclist dont help themselves. Hopefully they will reduce to 30km/h but then cyclist need to cop the f**k on as well. Plenty of asshat car drivers but also plenty of asshat cyclist around the roads.

Or generally speaking - plenty of asshats?

An inconsiderate or stupid a-hole is an inconsiderate or stupid a-hole, irrespective of what mode of transport they are currently using..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

CramCycle wrote: »
    A clean bike is a sign of an unhealthy mind

Its not the only sign tho - my bike is spotless, my mind.. not so sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

conor faughnan is an interesting character. he's a lobbyist for car drivers, while having enough sense to realise that bikes are more sensible and efficient (certainly for him); so is he a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a sheep in wolf's clothing, or none of the above?

Maybe hes just sensible. You can be both a cyclist and a motorist they are not mutually exclusive.

Personally I think he plays to the crowd, one minute he is saying electric cars are stupid, next minute he is on electric car forum saying AA love electric cars.

If he was in front of a pilot he would probably say airplanes are great. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I do think cyclist dont help themselves. Hopefully they will reduce to 30km/h
    How would this help?

• Advertisement

How would this help?

Which but?

That cyclist don’t help themselves?

Or that I hope the speed limit is reduced to30km/h?

Advertisement