Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What have cyclists to do with reducing the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

conor faughnan is an interesting character. he's a lobbyist for car drivers, while having enough sense to realise that bikes are more sensible and efficient (certainly for him); so is he a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a sheep in wolf's clothing, or none of the above?

Many of us cyclists are also members of the AA and have made our views on the need for proper cycling infrastructure on the numerous surveys they send us.

Most of the anti- cycling brigade, you know the types , the angry football supporter, the young pouty female with big sunglasses, would not be members of the AA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

CramCycle wrote: »
    What have cyclists to do with reducing the speed limit?

Maybe read the thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nyc-dublin wrote: »
    Maybe hes just sensible. You can be both a cyclist and a motorist they are not mutually exclusive.
    hard to do both at the same time, trust me i've... actually, i haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Another speed limit for me to cautiously obey as everyone around me ignores it - cool cool cool...

Cycling is a nightmare in the city - seperate routes, not speed limits is what makes it a viable option. Oh and a decent climate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Not really. Ive no problem maintaing a constant speed in a normal speed zone but its an effort to maintain such a low speed. I drive an automatic and any pressure on the accelerator for more than 2 seconds would have it going faster than that. Very easy to unintentionally go faster, hence the need to monitor it.
    I'd give up driving if you struggle to drive a car at under 30kmph. Never sure if drivers realise how silly this point sounds. How do people manage in rush hour traffic where the average speed is way under 30kmph.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Many of us cyclists are also members of the AA and have made our views on the need for proper cycling infrastructure on the numerous surveys they send us.
    I am a member of the AA but I am under no illusion that they are not a lobby group in the way they portray themselves. They are a broker and a service provider. They lobby for benefits to their business, nothing more. They also use this "expert opinion" view that people have of them to get a cheap avenue for advertisement, it is not out of any concern for anything else.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Maybe read the thread
    I did, can't see what difference it makes to talk about cyclists. It will benefit cyclists, pedestrians, businesses but not sure why they are brought up as some sort of reason not to have a 30kmph speed limit, or whatever that "help themselves" comment meant. I don't go around saying "motorists don't help themselves" when I see people on their phones or speeding, it would be a silly strawman argument deflecting from the discussion.

What is wrong with a 30kmph speed limit considering the speed at rush hour is way below this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

What is wrong with a 30kmph speed limit considering the speed at rush hour is way below this?

Because, it'll break up the fun driving game of stationary, to 50km/h, run the red light, slam the breaks, gain 100m, idle for 10 mins, repeat.

I did, can't see what difference it makes to talk about cyclists. It will benefit cyclists, pedestrians, businesses but not sure why they are brought up as some sort of reason not to have a 30kmph speed limit, or whatever that "help themselves" comment meant. I don't go around saying "motorists don't help themselves" when I see people on their phones or speeding, it would be a silly strawman argument deflecting from the discussion.

You clearly didn't read the thread. I am on the side of the cyclist. It was posted by someone else to also put a speed limit on cyclist. I was defending them but I made the point that cyclist should obey the rules of the road or they will have fingers pointed at them by motorist. That is why I said cyclist don't help themselves. But as you read the thread you would have seen all this?

Also when you read the thread did you notice I suggested a circle from the castleknock gates of the park and anything inside it would be blocked off to all private traffic. Just buses/taxi/bikes.

I 100% agree nothing is wrong with the 30km/h limit and fuly welcome it to come in. It will make the roads a lot safer for cyclists and pedestrians but it is also a start, full lock down of Dublin to cars is the utopia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You clearly didn't read the thread. I am on the side of the cyclist. It was posted by someone else to also put a speed limit on cyclist. I was defending them but I made the point that cyclist should obey the rules of the road or they will have fingers pointed at them by motorist.
    putting speed limits on bikes is the most insanely tokenistic gesture i can think of.
    if it's just being done to protect the feelings of motorists, with no actual basis in evidence of benefit, we are in a bad place.
    plus, how would it be policed? there's no legal requirement for a bike to have a calibrated speedo, so if a cyclist was 'caught' doing 35km/h in a 30 zone, they can stand in front of a judge and make a legit defence that they did not know what their speed was and there's no legal basis to force them to 'know' what their speed was.
    this would be done purely for the few downhills in dublin city where a cyclist might actually get above 35 or 40 maybe, and on most of those you'd be pushing it to get above 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

this would be done purely for the few downhills in dublin city where a cyclist might actually get above 35 or 40 maybe, and on most of those you'd be pushing it to get above 40.

Pft, need to train harder then :-D

• Advertisement

i once came down knockmaroon hill (long before the days of GPS) on my muddy fox courier comp, and glanced at my cycle computer which was registering 37mph (in a 30mph zone) and as i passed the garda with a hairdryer at the bottom of the hill, he pumped the air with his fist in encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Let's face it, it's never going to work, it's never going to be enforced, it's never going to be accepted (by us drivers), and it's never going to be obeyed .....

The whole 30km/h thing (on main arterial roads) and dual carriageways is a farce.

IMO.

Let's face it, it's never going to work, it's never going to be enforced, it's never going to be accepted (by us drivers), and anyway, it's never going to be obeyed .....

The whole 30km/h thing (on main arterial roads) and dual carriageways is a farce.

At least you corrected the English

If you don’t want to accept that your choice. Of course expected to be banned from the roads

You don’t get to pick and choose which law of the road you agree with it not. Of course all your fines will help pay so drive on!!! Nobody cares and it means one less car on road

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/consultation-proposed-special-speed-limit-2020/

Consultation opened about a blanket 30km/h speed limit within Dublin City Council.
    Personally as someone who both drives and cycles I am against it. I think 30km/h in certain targeted areas makes sense but to say that driving 30km/h on Wolfe tone quay and 30km/h on batchelors walk (as an example off the top of my head) should be the same is ridiculous. Either way you should give your own feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Let's face it, it's never going to work, it's never going to be enforced, it's never going to be accepted (by us drivers), and it's never going to be obeyed .....

IMO.

It will have to be enforced.

At the risk of losing your licence, you'll quickly accept it.

If not, you'll be walking, using public transport, cycling or begging people to drive around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

micar wrote: »
    It will have to be enforced.

At the risk of losing your licence, you'll quickly accept it.

If not, you'll be walking, using public transport, cycling or begging people to drive around.
    100% you are right, if the Council want this they will use our taxes against any one who objects and there will be guards and cameras very 2 foot of that stretch, no matter what else was happening, there could be mass rapes in the city centre, but they will find time and your money to go after people.

*rubs eyes*

yes, because that's *exactly* what's happened in the (checks notes) 30km/h zones already introduced, swarming with SWAT teams and snipers on high points to take out speeding motorists.

Maybe read the thread

And the stop signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

100% you are right, if the Council want this they will use our taxes against any one who objects and there will be guards and cameras very 2 foot of that stretch, no matter what else was happening, there could be mass rapes in the city centre, but they will find time and your money to go after people.

How will "our" taxes be used against anyone who objects?

"mass rapes".....seriously

Cameras detecting motorists going over the speed limit is great idea.

"Go after people" speeding.......of course they should.

Sure doesn't the port tunnel over cameras to determine average speed. If you exceed the limit ....boom....fine.

Soon those camera will be on the M50.

Add to that cameras looking at the bus lanes and traffic lights and fine every numpty who thinks it's fine to hop into the bus lane to get ahead of traffic or run a red light.

Anyone who drives safe and responsibly won't have a problem.

Those that don't ....... well bye bye licence

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The speed limit, it’s in the thread title

Ah nothing, nevermind

When the council decide to get serious they will expend plenty of resources policing this. The poster who thought he could get away with ignoring the enforceable speed limits will end up with stack of points.
    The limits are just being soft balled in, a 30 km/h limit across the city centre is easily policed and impossible to ignore. The council aren't brining the laws in for the craic, so yeah they absolutely will go after people as soon as it suits them to do so.
    micar wrote: »
    How will "our" taxes be used against anyone who objects?

"mass rapes".....seriously

Cameras detecting motorists going over the speed limit is great idea.

"Go after people" speeding.......of course they should.

Sure doesn't the port tunnel over cameras to determine average speed. If you exceed the limit ....boom....fine.

Soon those camera will be on the M50.

Add to that cameras looking at the bus lanes and traffic lights and fine every numpty who thinks it's fine to hop into the bus lane to get ahead of traffic or run a red light.

Anyone who drives safe and responsibly won't have a problem.

Those that don't ....... well bye bye licence
    Grand so, even though it nearly killed you to do it you actually 100% agree with 87.3 % of my points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

30 km/h is an easy speed limit to obey.

The way people are talking you'd swear we were in Speed III. If the car goes even 1 km/h above or below, you'll explode.

If drifting up concerns you, then simply to do 20 km/h, if you do drift, then you'll only drift up to 30 km/h.

I've driven on the quays a few times. I put the car into 2nd gear and release the clutch without pressing the accelerator. The car moves along below 30 km/h. Easy.

30 km/h is an easy speed limit to obey.

The way people are talking you'd swear we were in Speed III. If the car goes even 1 km/h above or below, you'll explode.

If drifting up concerns you, then simply to do 20 km/h, if you do drift, then you'll only drift up to 30 km/h.

I've driven on the quays a few times. I put the car into 2nd gear and release the clutch without pressing the accelerator. The car moves along below 30 km/h. Easy.

So, driving miss daisy, you recommend driving at 20kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why is everyone loosing their sheet about the 30kph on the Malahide road dual carriageway from the Artane roundabout when it's clearly proposed to be 50kph in the plans?

begbysback wrote: »
    So, driving miss daisy, you recommend driving at 20kph?

30 km/h is the proposed limit.

Not the proposed target.
    Do you get so het up with people driving 10 below the limit?

Calm down, slow down and arrive in a relaxed frame of mind.

google maps is currently showing - at *midnight* - an estimated travel time from the tap pub at smithfield, to the old garda station at whitehall (griffith avenue/drumcondra road junction) of about 6 minutes, or not much above 30km/h.

why are you so worried about 30km/h limits? it's like complaing that restaurant X only serves 48oz steaks, but restaurant Y serves 64 oz steaks. the practical difference is minimal.

30 km/h is the proposed limit.

Not the proposed target.
    Do you get so het up with people driving 10 below the limit?

Calm down, slow down and arrive in a relaxed frame of mind.

Look, if I’m stuck behind you traveling at 20kph, and I’m watching cyclists cruise past, I’m gonna stick my front bumper into your rear and gently nudge you up to a generally acceptable speed.

begbysback wrote: »
    Look, if I’m stuck behind you traveling at 20kph, and I’m watching cyclists cruise past, I’m gonna stick my front bumper into your rear and gently nudge you up to a generally acceptable speed.

What would an acceptable speed be in a 30 km/h zone?

• Advertisement

What would an acceptable speed be in a 30 km/h zone?

With no other traffic around, dry road, well lit, around 50/60 kph

Advertisement