Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Took the scenic route home from work last night, so went along Sandymount Strand that has recently been reduced to 30km/h.

I was doing between 25-30 on the bike all along it, and consistently being passed by cars doing a good bit more than that (all safe passes thankfully - must have been something in the water :D)

30km/h limits will just be ignored unless their introduction is paired with enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

VinLieger wrote: »
    But a dash cam and show this happening because I simple don't believe you

Do you believe this?

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1402920744686862338?s=19

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes it happens but in my experience it is nowhere near to the numbers you are claiming.

Id regularly see those who run on amber and the very odd time someone who follows their bumper on a red.

Ah here, I'll admit it depends where you live but in Dublin, not a hope unless you are travelling at off peak times all of the time. From 7am to 7pm, I would be surprised if any major through fare didn't have someone run the lights 95% of the time. Everytime I walk my kid to school at least one goes through the red light at the pedestrian crossing outside 2 f*cking schools. With kids standing there waiting to cross, traffic at a near standstill anyway so they aren't gaining time. If you drive in Dublin and you don't see it, I suggest, respectively that you either focus on being more aware of your surroundings or you give up driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If its personal attacks you are all stopping to i just wont bother engaging anymore, its quite obvious there's only 1 viewpoint welcome in this thread and even trying to discuss the possibility that the sweeping generalisations and made up numbers to support them that are based on zero facts might be even tiny a bit suspect or hyperbolic is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

its quite obvious there's only 1 viewpoint welcome in this thread and even trying to discuss the possibility that the sweeping generalisations and made up numbers to support them that are based on zero facts might be even tiny a bit suspect or hyperbolic is pointless.
    if multiple people disagreeing with you makes you feel unwelcome, so be it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if multiple people disagreeing with you makes you feel unwelcome, so be it.
    Presumably the multiple people that you refer to are wrong.
    As were these residents who claim that drivers were breaking red lights but thankfully the garda standing there in "aren't I obvious" mode was able to prove them wrong.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1402915500376702979

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Presumably the multiple people that you refer to are wrong.
    As were these residents who claim that drivers were breaking red lights but thankfully the garda standing there in "aren't I obvious" mode was able to prove them wrong.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1402915500376702979

Approx 10 years ago I used to commute through Phibsboro along North Circular Road.

At least once a month there would be a Garda at outside the Spar beside Doyle's corner, watching for people running the red whilst turning left from Phibsboro Rd onto North Circular Rd. They couldn't see the Garda until they'd committed to the turn.

It was a rare morning that you'd see the Garda there without seeing someone having been pulled over by him as well.

Current commute involves crossing the N11 in Donnybrook. Can be fairly certain that you'll see red light jumpers and yellow box blockers inbound in the mornings on pretty much every light sequence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If its personal attacks you are all stopping to i just wont bother engaging anymore, its quite obvious there's only 1 viewpoint welcome in this thread and even trying to discuss the possibility that the sweeping generalisations and made up numbers to support them that are based on zero facts might be even tiny a bit suspect or hyperbolic is pointless.

Apologies if you took it as a personal insult but it really wasn't. In my opinion, if you drive in Dublin and you don't see regular red light breaking by motorists, you either drive off the main arteries, don't drive during peak periods or are unobservant while driving. I never said you were any of these things, just that if you genuinely don't see it, you must be one of those things. None of them are a personal insult.

Honestly, it looks more like you've realised that there is loads of evidence to contradict your original claim.

I thought I had four incidents showing five drivers clearly breaking red lights from my trip today, but unfortunately due to a battery mishap, I only have two;

https://streamable.com/bqfbbt

https://streamable.com/5cxkkb

Do you think it is some strange coincidence that this keeps happening around the tiny number of cyclists that have cameras and publish videos, or is it just routine?

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    So much nonsense, false accusations, exaggerations and just straight up falsehoods I don't know where to start. One thing, there is too much BS to multi-quote everything.

Firstly, it's not my job or anyone elses' to be encyclopediae of recent accidents. If you're claiming that not only are pedestrian-culpable collisions not only aren't the majority, but don't occur at all, then it's up to you to prove that. I didn't make up the 70% figure, but your claim that your 98% figure relates to anything other than itself is entirely fictitious. One thing you haven't explained is how come there is all this lawbreaking by motorists yet we are globally near best practice for road safety and fatalities are incredibly rare (more than 300,000,000 kilometres between fatalities and more than 99.5% of drivers never involved). Your nonsense about how "Expenses like insurance and tolls aren’t contributions for the greater good." is both a strawman and false. It's a strawman, as I hadn't made specific claims that motorists were subsidising society (only disputing the claim that motorists were subsidised by society), but in the case of road tolls, some of them do go straight to either local or central government. Like the West Link M50 (tolls collected by the government) and the East Link (toll now collected by DCC). I ignored your horsecrap where you tried to insinuate that the Indepedent was lying about the taxes paid by motorists with your "heavily supported by motoring advertisers" nonsense. Either the claims they make are correct, or they are not. Everything else is irrelevant. As to motorists "choosing" to sit in traffic, no, it's not by choice. Nobody likes crawling in stop-start traffic.

Your bizarre claims about pollution are disproven by your own link!
    Type 1 Diabetes is not caused by lifestyle issues, it's mostly inherited through genetics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_1_diabetes#Cause
    None of the horsecrap you posted negates the fact that Ireland has among the highest life expectancies in the world. Your claim that "We’ve tripled the number of cars on our roads over a generation" you're missing the rather large point that Ireland until the early 1990s was an agricultural backwater, we started from a really low base.

All of my near misses on the streets and footpaths of Irelands urban areas have been with lawbreaking menaces on two wheels. Hence I find all the nonsense from cyclists about how laws need to be crammed down on others is a bit rich, to say the least. For my part, I only want cyclists to either:
    1) Get the hell off the footpaths and obey traffic controls
    OR
    2) If that's too much to ask, don't be a hypocrite.

As to EVs, they not only create zero air pollution from fuel combustion (which is caused by burning litres of refined oils) but they also have regenerative braking, so there will be little brake dust except for emergency braking. That just leaves tyre dust, and I'm sure you have evidence that tyre dust is killing lots of people? As to this nonsense, "There is no contradiction. There is no claim of collective responsibility – just another strawman." You must think people are really stupid to believe this. Your entire posting history has been one of tarring "motorists" with a broad brush, and there is zero evidence that you were using the term "motorists" in the individual sense "killing 2 or 3 people every week." And I never said anything about murderous intent, I simply pointed out that "kill" = "cause the death of" (and it should be obvious that this can include accidentally causing the death of) and that in many cases, the person supposedly "killed by motorists" died due to their own actions, whether they were driving or not, and in many cases not.

I could do, and possibly will do, a detailed response answering each of these important issues.

But at present, I feel the more effective response is to post the Irish Rail video showing the > 1 a week fúckwits who manage to ignore the many warning signs and lights around level crossings and delay public transport by hours or days with their atrocious driving.

And we have the best drivers in the world apparently?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-rail-issues-shocking-video-after-60-incidents-at-level-crossings-last-year-40522735.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No we don't; Norway would likely take that spot with only one fatality per 600,000,000 km driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Are you trying to divert attention away from your ludicrous claim that drivers don't break red lights on a regular basis?

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1237546126321922050?s=20

A Go Pro wielding cyclists rights activist. The hero we all need.
    this is the most outstandingly bizarre claim i've heard in this thread. if i'm out and about in the car, i see motorists running reds at the rate of three a *minute* at times. three on a single red light is not uncommon.

You are aware the vehicles with the blue lights that make noise are legally allowed to do this?

I know cyclists don't know basic road rules, and have even argued here that a children's rhyme thought to 5 year olds isn't required study (the safe cross code, which so many of you don't seem to get) but this one is a bit far like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was at this junction a few hours ago, waiting in the turn right lane, directly behind a white van, two cars in front of him. we were facing a red. white van man decided he was sick of waiting, pulled out around the two cars in front of him, and drove through the red to take the right.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3730103,-6.2839578,3a,75y,153.51h,91.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYWv6l7UY-lCj2inAcktA9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

i'm still quite bemused at the people who don't see the red light jumping. they do say cyclists have better observation than motorists, i don't know if that's a factor.

You forgot to include "lycra clad" in your attempt to distract attention from the red light jumping motorist.

You are aware the vehicles with the blue lights that make noise are legally allowed to do this?

I know cyclists don't know basic road rules, and have even argued here that a children's rhyme thought to 5 year olds isn't required study (the safe cross code, which so many of you don't seem to get) but this one is a bit far like.

Remember 1 look for a safe place ......

i will freely admit that at times the narrator here is a little irritating, but the argument that cars should be limited to 30km/h in the city for noise reasons alone is one that resonates with me.
    his argument that motorcyclists on excessively noisy motorbikes should get in the sea also resonates with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

With the increase in popularity of hybrid or fully electric cars and light commercials, the problem is going to be how to add noise back into them to make them sufficiently audible to other road users.

Yes cars and bikes with custom exhausts and heavy commercials are a noise pollutant, but that already has regulation in the NCT and DoE testing systems and can be further tackled through curfews and weight limits.

The noise mitigation between 50 and 30, as an average across general traffic, is so negligible as to be inconsequential to this particular argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

i'm probably more worried about people driving on the wrong side of the road tbh.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    With the increase in popularity of hybrid or fully electric cars and light commercials, the problem is going to be how to add noise back into them to make them sufficiently audible to other road users.

With the headphones so many Dublin cyclists insist on wearing most of them wouldn't hear a bin lorry, so it hardly makes a difference.

cyclists with headphones in can often hear more than motorists with the windows up and the radio off.

https://www.bikebiz.com/cyclists-with-ipods-hear-the-same-as-motorists-listening-to-nothing/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

With the headphones so many Dublin cyclists insist on wearing most of them wouldn't hear a bin lorry, so it hardly makes a difference.

I never cycle without headphones but you can still hear all the traffic and things around you. I can never understand why people go on about the headphones thing all the time.

I never cycle without headphones but you can still hear all the traffic and things around you. I can never understand why people go on about the headphones thing all the time.

No you can't. It is impossible to be fully aware of your surroundings when cycling on a busy road with headphones on. It's your usual ignorant behaviour from the kings of the road.

Last week I was driving up the Howth Road at rush hour, some fat prick swerving in and out of the cycle lane, headphones on, looking at his phone (as in navigating the phone, not on a call)

This is the type of waste of space the Greens want us to drive at 30 to help save the lives of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The pop at cyclists has nothing to do with the noise pollution post, which does have a point there - often people almost get knocked over because they step into traffic, i.e. just listening for it. Has happened a few times, but thankfully I've been reading the road ahead, don't cycle close to busy pavements etc.

Regarding noise reduction from 50 to 30.. it's not negligible at all, especially when you factor in that 50 really means "up to 70" and 30 means "up to 50ish" (depending on road and traffic conditions).

Revving motorbikes at lights can get to fuk.

Last week I was driving up the Howth Road at rush hour, some fat prick swerving in and out of the cycle lane, headphones on, looking at his phone (as in navigating the phone, not on a call)

This is the type of waste of space the Greens want us to drive at 30 to help save the lives of.

It always amazes me that the attitude some people have on our roads.
    We let people drive with that much anger, it really can't be healthy.

No you can't. It is impossible to be fully aware of your surroundings when cycling on a busy road with headphones on. It's your usual ignorant behaviour from the kings of the road.

lol I cycle up and down the Howth road every day but I'm not fat so it wasn't me! Just be extra careful around cyclists with headphones in then, same way I am extra careful when I see motorists looking at their phones while driving, it's a sign to keep my distance as who knows what they may do.

km991148 wrote: »

it's bizarre isn't it the hatred

km991148 wrote: »

Why should I have my commute time doubled to help save the life of a phone wielding cyclist?

• Advertisement

In fairness, it does look a bit ridiculous when you see someone with full cans on. Sometimes you do see completely oblivious ones cycling about. But sure, being oblivious on the road is my pet hate anyway. If everyone calmed down and put all their efforts into improving their own observation and negotiation skills, the roads would be better for all users. Everyone has room for improvement.

I don't cycle much with headphones, sometimes I pop in the left ear only with a podcast, but I make sure it's not overly distracting - not more than when I crank up the tunes in the car or if I get a bit revvy on the V6 (out of town of course!)

Advertisement