Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Now, in a wholly statistical rarity it was a gang of teenage local howiyas, when to be fair this sort of craic is usually the persuit of either the lycra clad Green voter from Donnybrook or the Spanish Facebook worker (although for bonus points the Spaniard is usually staring at his phone while blocking out the wider world with Beats type earphones)

Either way why should responsible drivers be penalised to save the lives of morons?

You're saying lycra clad cyclists and facebook workers go around the city centre on the wrong side of the road giving each other crossbars?

Let me guess, get a better job says the Greens voters. I'm alright jack.

Is it the greens introducing these measures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

You're saying lycra clad cyclists and facebook workers go around the city centre on the wrong side of the road giving each other crossbars?

Apart from the crossbars, absolutely. The lycra mob and the continentals are by far the most rule ignorant people on the road.

The yungfellas cycling up and down our inner city streets dealing zimmos are actually quite observant generally.

Apart from the crossbars, absolutely. The lycra mob and the continentals are by far the most rule ignorant people on the road.

The yungfellas cycling up and down our inner city streets dealing zimmos are actually quite observant generally.

I'd say the most ignorant ones on the road are the cars killing and maiming people, bikes are totally harmless in comparison

Is it the greens introducing these measures?

Some arsehole named Michael Pidgeon is the spokesman I saw quoted, saying it had overwhelming public support.

Ceaucescau thought similar until he was demonstrated out of office. Hopefully covid19 subsides so there's some protests planned in time to stop this. Never marched for anything in my life before but this is beyond the pale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This evening as I approached the left turn near the southside canal bridge beside Fitzwilliam Place a cyclist came at me, with his mate on the crossbar, in the cycle lane in the opposite ****ing direction. Litereally approaching me as I turned left, on the inside.

As I went over the bridge three of his mates were right there flying over the middle line causing me to break and shout at them.

Now, in a wholly statistical rarity it was a gang of teenage local howiyas, when to be fair this sort of craic is usually the persuit of either the lycra clad Green voter from Donnybrook or the Spanish Facebook worker (although for bonus points the Spaniard is usually staring at his phone while blocking out the wider world with Beats type earphones)
    Cool story bro!
    Either way why should responsible drivers be penalised to save the lives of morons?
    How were you penalised?

I see, well there are always robbed cars up in Darndale too flying around the place, that's motorists for you

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Some arsehole named Michael Pidgeon is the spokesman I saw quoted, saying it had overwhelming public support.

Ceaucescau thought similar until he was demonstrated out of office. Hopefully covid19 subsides so there's some protests planned in time to stop this. Never marched for anything in my life before but this is beyond the pale.

Middle-aged carcentric reactionaries of the world unite!

Youre seriously comparing transport improvements around the city with the dictatorship under Ceaucescau.
    Would you stop with the childish nonsense please and let's try and have a sensible conversation?

Middle-aged carcentric reactionaries of the world unite!

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of opinion here that current 30kph zones are seldom enforced, that it's an advisory because when they were 50 people would do 60kph.

Is this accurate? Do the Gardai or speed vans never position themselves on the likes of Parnell St?

Certainly the idea of people going at 35kph being put in a position where they see a distant speed van and jam the breaks seems like a recipe for a pile up.

Similarly, are Gardai/ Go Safe legally precluded from setting a speed trap on streets not mentioned on this map, and can only pull over in the case of obvious dangerous/ seriously excessive speed?

https://www.garda.ie/gosafe.html

How were you penalised?

I am set to be penalised by having minutes of my after work time taken off me.

By having to get up earlier.

This evening, while maintaining the 50kph limit, I had a run of green lights from outside Pearse Station all the way over the river to Busaras. Probably covered it in 90 seconds.

At 30kph I could well be hitting what, five or six sets of reds?

An extra 12- 15 minutes? For the benefit of ignoramouses who don't have to pay car tax, insurance or get a licence, and cycle just like it?

**** that.

Ironically I'll probably end up getting a pushbike if this goes through, bound to be faster and more pleasant travelling than living my life tie to 2nd/ 3rd gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

km/h

...is the correct abbreviation :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This evening, while maintaining the 50kph limit, I had a run of green lights from outside Pearse Station all the way over the river to Busaras. Probably covered it in 90 seconds.

do you always hit a string of greens in that scenario, or are you portraying a very rare situation as if it's normal?
    i.e. are you saying you're used to driving around the city at a constant speed of 50km/h? if not, the situation above is a freak situation and hardly applies in general.

An extra 12- 15 minutes? For the benefit of ignoramouses who don't have to pay car tax, insurance or get a licence, and cycle just like it?

**** that.

Ironically I'll probably end up getting a pushbike if this goes through, bound to be faster and more pleasant travelling than living my life tie to 2nd/ 3rd gear.

Yes! Good man! You nearly have it!

Blah blah blah
    U ok hun? Need a hug?

**** that.

Yes! Good man! You nearly have it!

Save money, time, and the earth all in one go.

Btw, there is no such thing as car tax in Ireland. If you're paying something called that you may want to check it out. Could be a scam.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If by penalised you mean, should drivers have to lose a maximum of 3 minutes to travel up the malahide road in order to limit the chance of someone dying I would say that that seems like a reasonable trade off.

I would find this restriction incredibly irritating while driving home no doubt. But there isn't a great cogent argument against it outside of it being irritating.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If by penalised you mean, should drivers have to lose a maximum of 3 minutes to travel up the malahide road in order to limit the chance of someone dying I would say that that seems like a reasonable trade off.

I would find this restriction incredibly irritating while driving home no doubt. But there isn't a great cogent argument against it outside of it being irritating.

Also, if lots of other people are like him and give up motor driving and change to cycling, everyone will get home quicker due to less traffic.

• Advertisement

do you always hit a string of greens in that scenario, or are you portraying a very rare situation as if it's normal?

In that part of town, maintaining 50kph at a calm enough time (5pm weekday driving conditions these days are much like a weekend afternoon in normal times) yes, I'd say I normally cruise over that distance with little to no reds.
    i.e. are you saying you're used to driving around the city at a constant speed of 50km/h? if not, the situation above is a freak situation and hardly applies in general.

In non rush hour traffic, yes, I'd maintain 50 for the bulk of my travel I would say.

Unless some of you speed Nazis are infront of me of course.

And I need to reduce the speed once a cyclist with a death wish is spotted ahead. As when he pulls out without bothering to glance backwards because he was using his phone to switch podcasts on his Beats, I'll be the one who will cop the bother if there's an impact.

This is a serious question for the bike lads who actually also drive. How often have you ever seen a cyclist glance behind them before pulling out?

How is it possibly three minutes when you take into account the amount of reds you will hit?

Simple test. Drive on one of the proposed routes art 30km and note down how many reds you hit that you would have missed at 50.

All this bollocks about mental health these days and the DCC wants us to spend potentially years longer in traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How is it possibly three minutes when you take into account the amount of reds you will hit?

Simple test. Drive on one of the proposed routes art 30km and note down how many reds you hit that you would have missed at 50.

All this bollocks about mental health these days and the DCC wants us to spend potentially years longer in traffic.

The lighting systems will be changed to accommodate a 30kph speed so that's irrelevant.

You spend time in traffic because of traffic, not because of speed limits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In that part of town, maintaining 50kph at a calm enough time (5pm weekday driving conditions these days are much like a weekend afternoon in normal times) yes, I'd say I normally cruise over that distance with little to no reds.

In non rush hour traffic, yes, I'd maintain 50 for the bulk of my travel I would say.
    hang on - what about the people who have hit the reds in front of you, so aer doing less than 50km/h? you say you're maintaining it for minutes on end, so do you quantum tunnel through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Genuine question,

Would someone rather take their chances as a pedestrian against a car driving 30kph or a Bicycle doing 30kph?
    Car driver might slow before hitting, how much speed would a cyclist be able to or want to lose if you stepped in front of one?

simple test. drive at 50km/h and hit a red. you're waiting there maybe 15s. if you'd driven at 30km/h, you'd have hit it when it was green and made the exact same progress. you're cherry picking your anecdotes.

if a light is red say 70% of the time, your chances of it being red when you arrive (assuming no other traffic) is 70%. assuming other traffic increases the chances of you getting stopped at it on a red cycle.

Car driver might slow before hitting, how much speed would a cyclist be able to or want to lose if you stepped in front of one?
    'want to'? here's a funny thing about the difference between driving a car into a pedestrian at 30km/h, and riding into a pedestrian on a bike on 30km/h.

it's going to hurt the cyclist a *hell* of a lot more than the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

15 pages of usual boards nonsense.

@double jobbing - Did a cyclist once break your heart? touched you inappropriately? I'm getting the impression you really don't like them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

OP is a joke account I presume.
    I did enjoy this gem though

‘Do these people realise that with people glancing at the speedometer more often they are far more likely to have a collision? ‘

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The lighting systems will be changed to accommodate a 30kph speed so that's irrelevant.

If they would fix the traffic lights for the current situation it would help a bit as well!

Advertisement