Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of headset cups

Options
  • 02-06-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Any tips for removing headset cups without specific tool?
    Tried using old seatpost and hammer, but it’s slightly tapered at end so doesn’t give great contact

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Long screwdriver and a hammer, tap alternate points the whole way around, it should pop off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I use a wooden dowel and a rubber hammer. I find it less likely to damage anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I use a wooden dowel and a rubber hammer. I find it less likely to damage anything.

Similar to this, i cut the handle of and old brush-the bigger the diameter the better-if you don’t have a rubber hammer, use a small bit of 25mm timber over the brush handle and strike with a regular hammer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Raymzor wrote: »
    Similar to this, i cut the handle of and old brush-the bigger the diameter the better-if you don’t have a rubber hammer, use a small bit of 25mm timber over the brush handle and strike with a regular hammer!

I like this idea. Will chop off some of broom handle at weekend, would feel more comfortable with wooden than metal.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you know any sparks a piece of 20mm conduit cut in 4 works perfectly.

49900788658_1041799264_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Funny enough the opposite is more likely as you're knocking it out at an angle each time. The specific tool applies equal pressure around the cup if you split the dowel and splay the ends with something it would probably be the same.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Funny enough the opposite is more likely as you're knocking it out at an angle each time. The specific tool applies equal pressure around the cup if you split the dowel and splay the ends with something it would probably be the same.

I think he meant less likely to damage it than my method of a screwdriver.

In fairness, I've removed a few of them like this, and if you take small enough passes each time, the risk of damage is minimal.

I think about it in the same terms I would tighten wheel nuts

cletus wrote: »
    I think he meant less likely to damage it than my method of a screwdriver.

In fairness, I've removed a few of them like this, and if you take small enough passes each time, the risk of damage is minimal.

I think about it in the same terms I would tighten wheel nuts

On a steel frame the worst you'll do is possibly burr the steerer tube but on a carbon frame I wouldn't want to risk any awkward torsion particularly at the steerer tube although usually headset cups/races are bonded into carbon frames and sealed bearings in place of bearing & cage.

Minimal risk as you say but if you can make a simple more effective tool you get the satisfaction of making it also so a win win. :)

I'd happily drop one off but OP knows my time keeping and I'll probably get it to him in 2025 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

What about getting the new one on without a press? How best to get it on straight?

I haven't done it but may have to to finish a project on an old Raleigh 3 speed with obsolete fork and stem diameters.

What about getting the new one on without a press? How best to get it on straight?

I haven't done it but may have to to finish a project on an old Raleigh 3 speed with obsolete fork and stem diameters.

You can make a tool for that also which works but the tools can be bought for around €30 where they used to be silly money.

I've used a home made one like this many times I'll pick up a tool one day. :D

49895095991_e56feb0c62_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've had to install headsets so infrequently that I was never bothered to even make my own press. Rubber mallet, grease and a bit of care has always been enough to get the cups in straight.

Wouldn't wing it like that on a carbon frame though, as said above.

I have a similar setup to iwillhtfu

515101.jpg

Advertisement