Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael to allow U16’s legally change gender

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't see why not let the people wait till there 18 + don't see the big rush to allow children make decisions around gender so young

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolute nonsense. More virtue signalling and distractions to cover their incompetence on far bigger issues. I'd expect no different from Leo.

Do what you want as a legal adult fully informed of the consequences but not younger than that.

This is not America or twitter. Leave that stuff where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

splashuum wrote: »
    Fine Gael looking to change laws that would allow a 14 year old change their gender.
    Many people labeling it very strange. I’d like to see this being debated in the Dail.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-seeking-law-change-to-let-under-16s-legally-change-gender-39252644.html

I have no issues with any of the proposals listed in that article. Seems like a few minor reforms that will help inclusivity.

It's obvious the gender identity recognition for minors on official documents will be triggering for many. But people should really just learn to mind their own business. How does a 14 year old changing their gender on their passport affect anyone other than them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't see the benefits, car insurance is the same now regardless. Back 20 years ago when my insurance was £2k I considered the gender change, no need now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Simi wrote: »
    I have no issues with any of the proposals listed in that article. Seems like a few minor reforms that will help inclusivity.

It's obvious the gender identity recognition for minors on official documents will be triggering for many. But people should really just learn to mind their own business. How does a 14 year old changing their gender on their passport affect anyone other than them?

The word LEGALLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

There are huge problems with having children change gender, not the least that they are not yet legally adults so their parents are legally responsible for their children. There is also the whole issue of puberty which manifests differently between biological males and females and thus the child would have different discussions with their peers about their bodies depending on their biological sexes. Most women don't go to men to talk about their first period for example. Then there are a lot of drugs involved in transitioning, and many children aren't yet capable of understanding the numerous side effects of said drugs to the natural development of the body, on top of all the changes due to puberty and the interactions between the two, and therefore aren't capable of making a rational, informed decision. And so on.

Advertisement