Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Ignoring Global Protests

Options

Comments

s1ippy wrote: »
    Is there some sort of RTÉ blackout on this to deter Irish people from getting involved in protests?

Two words: social distancing.

Is there some sort of RTÉ blackout on this to deter Irish people from getting involved in protests?

Why would we be protesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have UK and US correspondants, anywhere else in the world it's copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Two words - band wagon.

I don't watch rte, but I'm glad they're not shoving it down viewers throats.

Why the heck should they?

Who's going to remember any of the men involved in this issue in a months time?
    What is protesting going to change?

If certain blacks want to change their lives then they need to leave criminality behind them, work on getting an education and get a job.

Stop whining about being ill-treated and start contributing to society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

There already was a protest and more planned that aren't possible to find using Google.

I'm not advocating the protests and I don't know anyone who is. It's just quite sinister that you have to dig around on Twitter and Facebook to find these current events in this country. I thought it might be of interest to other people.

• Advertisement

They would have been all over this like a hot turd this time last year.

Propaganda takes precedence over any hierarchy of victimhood.

You Must obey

I'd ask that the mods allow this thread to stay open so that Irish people with an interest in these protests can post current updates about the global situation. It'll probably just get completely overrun with people commentating about how black people are the engineers of their own persecution or whatever plainly medieval sh!t people tell themselves to justify systemic violence against people whose race isn't theirs, but it would be useful to be able to share updates about the protests around the world, seeing as it doesn't look like they're going to stop any time soon.

Also two weeks from now when global cases have grown exponentially, we can look back and see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd ask that the mods allow this thread to stay open so that Irish people with an interest in these protests can post current updates about the global situation. It'll probably just get completely overrun with people commentating about how black people are the engineers of their own persecution or whatever plainly medieval sh!t people tell themselves to justify systemic violence against people whose race isn't theirs, but it would be useful to be able to share updates about the protests around the world, seeing as it doesn't look like they're going to stop any time soon.

Also two weeks from now when global cases have grown exponentially, we can look back and see why.

Wtf are you on about.....

This BLM movement is absolutely the biggest load of bull I've ever come across and in its run more have ended up dead.

It's an absolute sh1t show.

Donald Trump's catchphrase is right enough: "Fake News"

Not even reporting it is far more worse and insidious than putting a partly or wholly incorrect slant on it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

When is the last time the RTE has reported on the Yellow Vests in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thousands defy authorities in France to protest in solidarity with George Floyd.

Aren't the French protesting permanently about everything and anything? - French protests aren't newsworthy any longer.

Aren't the French protesting permanently about everything and anything? - French protests aren't newsworthy any longer.
    I've posted about five other countries with protests. When does this breaking story happening across the planet become "newsworthy" by RTÉ's estimation, do you think?
    When is the last time the RTE has reported on the Yellow Vests in France?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/0128/1111523-police-and-firefighters-clash-at-paris-protest/
    Seemingly January.

According to this link that I found two pages deep into a Google search, there are also protests across Australia and Sweden and in other parts of The Netherlands like The Hague.

Berlin and London too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As David Bowie once sang, this is not America.

Yes what happened is wrong and the officers involved should be prosecuted to the full extent of their laws... But it's an American issue, linked to deep rooted racial and social problems going back generations that have little to no relevance here.

We need to stop taking stuff from twitter, Facebook and 24/7 news and trying to transplant it to countries and cultures that are nowhere near the same or facing the same issues.

It's like the obsession with Trump's every tweet or interview. 99% of the time it will never affect how anyone in Ireland goes about their lives yet you'd think he was the president of the country not Michael D.

Far more important things to be dealing with and protesting about (if one is so inclined) at home than what goes on thousands of miles away

Whatever about the motives, or your implication that Ireland who have no issues of race inequality to take priority (just after all the direct provision scandals around coronavirus, right so), it is a fact that people are taking to the streets in these foreign countries. Our domestic news that is paid for by my tax has a responsibility to document it and make it visible to us. As I said previously, I had to dig through pages of Google search results to find the articles posted here.

I also found reports of protests in New Zealand and Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Is it happening on the Merrion Road or the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway ?

If not, the extension lead doesn't reach there so it's not news.

RTE can sometimes come across like local television I find, even with Irish issues. Perhaps we overly on BBC, Sky and CNN etc to provide international news, so RTE just doesn't really bother?

They can also really fail to contextualise global stories sometimes. It always feels like international news just isn't very analysed by them, unless there's an very direct Irish linkage to it e.g. EU stories, Brexit etc.

Also they really aren't great at the whole broadening and depending coverage of Irish society. When you look at RTE programming now, it's more or less the same kind of spread of presenters and stories you'd have seen 30 or 40 years ago, yet the country has changed demographically in that period. It should be well beyond tokenism at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Its the cringiest thing ever.

There are a million other more pressing issues that Irish people should be protesting rather than the wrongful death of a random Black man with a criminal history in America.

Its just American media obsessed teens/early 20's eejits who want to project how "Woke" they are and can post pics of it on Instagram/Snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Whatever about the motives, or your implication that Ireland who have no issues of race inequality to take priority (just after all the direct provision scandals around coronavirus, right so), it is a fact that people are taking to the streets in these foreign countries. Our domestic news that is paid for by my tax has a responsibility to document it and make it visible to us. As I said previously, I had to dig through pages of Google search results to find the articles posted here.

The only scandal around direct provision is the level of fraudulent claims and abuse of the Irish taxpayers generosity.

This story, while tragic, has no relevance here beyond a brief segment on the news. We have covid, economic armageddon, government formation, and other issues far more worthy of airtime.

As you rightly point out, there's a whole Internet and American news networks out there if you'd "like to know more"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Is there some sort of RTÉ blackout on this to deter Irish people from getting involved in protests? Why is our state broadcaster not reporting this?

But, there was loads of coverage on yesterday's march in Dublin across RTÉ news and the Web. It was pretty much the top story?

They've been covering the events in the states too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

People in this part of the world dont know what is really happening in the US, Sounds like people just looking for an excuse to riot and loot under the guise of a noble cause..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why aren't you complaining about RTE not reporting the numerous massacres that happen in Africa nearly every week or the fact that the President of the Philippines has given his police the power to execute anyone they want and claim that they are drug dealers. Or is it just the latest social media fad that you want reported?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

It's just quite sinister that you have to dig around on Twitter and Facebook to find these current events in this country. I thought it might be of interest to other people.

By posting links to the Irish protests you are promoting illegal gatherings. The government has clearly stated that they are investigating the illegal gatherings over the weekend yet you continue to advocate for more, thereby endangering Irish lives in the midst of a pandemic. Forget reporting your thread to the mods, I have taken screenshots of your posts and will be contacting the Gardai. It's standard procedure for them to subpoena your ISP to get your personal details. You are not merely participating in the protests, you are organising them. I imagine that will come with a heavier sentence as the justice system will want to make an example out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As David Bowie once sang, this is not America.

Yes what happened is wrong and the officers involved should be prosecuted to the full extent of their laws... But it's an American issue, linked to deep rooted racial and social problems going back generations that have little to no relevance here.

We need to stop taking stuff from twitter, Facebook and 24/7 news and trying to transplant it to countries and cultures that are nowhere near the same or facing the same issues.

It's like the obsession with Trump's every tweet or interview. 99% of the time it will never affect how anyone in Ireland goes about their lives yet you'd think he was the president of the country not Michael D.

Far more important things to be dealing with and protesting about (if one is so inclined) at home than what goes on thousands of miles away

Indeed, although now is hardly the time for anything other than virtual protest.

The public has largely been very sensible with CV19 up to now, let's not throw all that away on a protest, let's be honest, which is unlikely to get noticed outside of Ireland let alone picked up on by any outlet in the U.S.

coinop wrote: »
    By posting links to the Irish protests you are promoting illegal gatherings. The government has clearly stated that they are investigating the illegal gatherings over the weekend yet you continue to advocate for more, thereby endangering Irish lives in the midst of a pandemic. Forget reporting your thread to the mods, I have taken screenshots of your posts and will be contacting the Gardai. It's standard procedure for them to subpoena your ISP to get your personal details. You are not merely participating in the protests, you are organising them. I imagine that will come with a heavier sentence as the justice system will want to make an example out of you.
    Repeatedly I've said that I think that there are better ways of doing this than to gather in groups because of the pandemic. I won't be attending the protests just as I haven't left the house generally in three months, I think it's idiotic to be gathering at this point and I've said so repeatedly in every medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Does anyone else here think these protests have been amplified by the lockdown? Because I do. People have been cooped up for months, once there was something to become outraged at, it that took off like a rocket.
    I just wish the protesters here would protest at our current elected officials abysmal failure to reopen, for people they know and love not getting screened for cancer...issues that are here right now in this country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Two words - band wagon.

I don't watch rte, but I'm glad they're not shoving it down viewers throats.

Why the heck should they?

Who's going to remember any of the men involved in this issue in a months time?
    What is protesting going to change?

If certain blacks want to change their lives then they need to leave criminality behind them, work on getting an education and get a job.

Stop whining about being ill-treated and start contributing to society.

Such as the senator who was pepper sprayed and hand cuffed for absolutely no reason?

You're talking absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Its the cringiest thing ever.

There are a million other more pressing issues that Irish people should be protesting rather than the wrongful death of a random Black man with a criminal history in America.

Its just American media obsessed teens/early 20's eejits who want to project how "Woke" they are and can post pics of it on Instagram/Snapchat.

There was about 2 dozen "empowered" types who were all in their 30s/40s gathered in Limerick City centre on Monday, all taking the knee and chanting "Black Lives Matter"...they looked like they were in a cult...bizarre!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Does anyone else here think these protests have been amplified by the lockdown? Because I do. People have been cooped up for months, once there was something to become outraged at, it that took off like a rocket.

The lockdown and the very sharp rise in US unemployment as a result.

Advertisement