Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Ignoring Global Protests

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This story, while tragic, has no relevance here beyond a brief segment on the news. We have covid, economic armageddon, government formation, and other issues far more worthy of airtime.

I wonder why this particular death/murder/killing has had such an effect?

Black men have been killed by US police forces on a regular basis for years, but why has this one got Irish people marching instead of all the others?

Is CV19 playing into all this? Do people just want to get out and move around like the good old days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder why this particular death/murder/killing has had such an effect?

Black men have been killed by US police forces on a regular basis for years, but why has this one got Irish people marching instead of all the others?

Is CV19 playing into all this? Do people just want to get out and move around like the good old days?

I'm guessing here, would it be that there's a 10 minute long video of it, the attitudes of two of the killers that were on display for all to see, and pleas of the people looking on and their pleas being completely ignored and when they got a bit too "rowdy" at seeing the death of George they got threats of being peppered sprayed, the POS willfully obstructing the paramedic when he attempted to take a pulse of a dead man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm guessing here, would it be that there's a 10 minute long video of it, the attitudes of two of the killers that were on display for all to see, and pleas of the people looking on and their pleas being completely ignored and when they got a bit too "rowdy" at seeing the death of George they got threats of being peppered sprayed, the POS willfully obstructing the paramedic when he attempted to take a pulse of a dead man.

You're probably right, I would have thought because of the video, but to be honest I have only seen a 10sec clip of it, would have no interest watching it all as it must be distressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

s1ippy wrote: »
    Aren't the French protesting permanently about everything and anything? - French protests aren't newsworthy any longer.

And the French farmers closed down Paris a while back and I don't recall RTE showing much of it.
    Neither did they cover farmers closing down The Hague or Berlin.

And a hell of a lot of people in this country have more in common with the aims of those protests than protesting about the police forces of the fooking US.

People nowadays are flutes.
    What fooking effects do people in some other country hope to achieve by protesting outside a US embassy, and then throwing in a bit of rioting or looting in case of Paris ?

Yeah the country ruled by a muppet who gives the two fingers to his own citizens is going to give two shytes about a bunch of muppets in Dublin, Paris, Auckland, Stockholm, etc.

And all at a time when we are meant to social distance to prevent spread of very infectious disease.

The human race is getting fooking stupidier as time goes on.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In the world of social media people just want to be liked, approved, quoted and to be made feel valued and special....

99.9 percent of those marching couldn't give a flying fook about George Floyd or policing in a country of 340 million people thousands of miles away...

A large amount likely wouldn't even be able to point out the U.S. on a globe....

We just need to, unfortunately, accept that this is the world we live in today.

Making out what happened to George Floyd as being the same as what was happening in the states 60 + years ago is the crock of **** that is being peddled.

Racism exists everywhere, and always will. It's the not so nice side of human nature, but it's still a part of it.

Black people in the U.S. have exactly the same rights and opportunities in law as any other color in the U.S. There is no legal discrimination against black people in the legal system in the U.S.

What black people choose to do with these rights and opportunities is the real question. And only they, like any other color can determine and answer this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Popular protest in other countries contributed significantly to ending Apartheid.

So protests in another country can count.

Obviously protests in other countries during a pandemic lockdown are reckless and selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thousands defy authorities in France to protest in solidarity with George Floyd.

No cases reported again today in France after 338 yesterday, they are seeing some weird spikes.

Looks like it was just as violent as America but for some reason RTÉ aren't reporting it. I would have thought it's relevant news, seeing as they're in the same union as us. It would be like people in Idaho not knowing there are violent protests in Missouri.

There's nothing on RTÉ about the Amsterdam protest either, although that didn't get violent so maybe not as newsworthy anyway.

Meanwhile in France
    https://twitter.com/YASMINAREBEL/status/1267880994155245568?s=09

https://twitter.com/JeromeRoos/status/1267909349453807616?s=19

Also Canada has stuff going on. Here's how to disarm a tear gas canister.
    https://twitter.com/ramos_orbe/status/1267288066466689024?s=19

"Trudeau pauses for 21 seconds before addressing question about Trump's response to protesters" https://twitter.com/i/events/1267877170296184834

Is there some sort of RTÉ blackout on this to deter Irish people from getting involved in protests? Why is our state broadcaster not reporting this?

Ya.
    The U.S. networks did a real good job covering our Water Charges protests.
    R.T.E. has covered the protests now lets get back and find out who is responsible for the nursing home deaths i.e. something relevant to Ireland instead of giving the authorities a free run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Edgware wrote: »
    Ya.
    The U.S. networks did a real good job covering our Water Charges protests.
    R.T.E. has covered the protests now lets get back and find out who is responsible for the nursing home deaths i.e. something relevant to Ireland instead of giving the authorities a free run

Isn't the issue that RTE isn't covering the protests that should be more relevant to Ireland, e.g the Paris one but concentrating on the USA stuff that's actually less relevant.

It's one of those contradictions, everyone is somewhere like RTE meant to be very pro-EU and have common "European" spirit and goals, yet stuff happening in a state capitol in middle America is considered more important than Paris, arguably the most important city in the EU???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Popular protest in other countries contributed significantly to ending Apartheid.

So protests in another country can count.

Obviously protests in other countries during a pandemic lockdown are reckless and selfish

SA was turned into a pariah state, very few countries wanted to be seen to do business with them publicly, economic sanctions, boycotting sports events, not protest on their own.

Now if only that could happen with the US or (lol) China.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

None of the marches seems to be much about George Floyd himself anymore.

I saw something on RTE news yesterday so it's not like they're blanking it.
    In fact OP himself links to RTE reports while claiming they are ignored...
    Is there some sort of RTÉ blackout on this to deter Irish people from getting involved in protests? Why is our state broadcaster not reporting this?

Top tip, search like this
    george floyd site:rte.ie
    https://www.google.com/search?q=george floyd site:rte.ie

• Advertisement

SA was turned into a pariah state, very few countries wanted to be seen to do business with them publicly, economic sanctions, boycotting sports events, not protest on their own.

Now if only that could happen with the US or (lol) China.

How the fook do you expect that to happen.
    All the cool with it folks need to be able to buy the latest iPhone so that they can twat each other about how bad America is and how bad Trump is.
    All the while a lot of the flutes want to mimic what is worst about American consumerism, the likes of those reality hoors with the big ar**es.
    Never forget it was reality tv that gave trump the platform he ultimately used to land the White House.

biko wrote: »
    None of the marches seems to be much about George Floyd himself anymore.

I saw something on RTE news yesterday so it's not like they're blanking it.

Turns out he wasn't that nice a guy in reality.

Yet again the media and the righteous have hooked their bandwagon to someone they normally wouldn't care less about and someone that turns out to be an inconvenient victim and poor choice as martyr.
    So they will try and leave him out of the picture and concentrate on the "bigger issue" as time goes on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Just watching the point sail over the heads of posters in this thread depresses the hell out of me. Looks like the schools being closed has really damaged people's levels of literacy and comprehension.

RTÉ aren't reporting the global protests was my point. And then someone does a search for the US one to demonstrate that they did report on that, and another supposedly reports me to the Gardaí because apparently we're not allowed to discuss external news, then many posters use it as a platform to express how they feel black people deserve to be discriminated against because there aren't enough places to do that online apparently.

London today:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1290729/london-black-lives-matter-protest-george-floyd-death-US-protest-hyde-park

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watching the point sail over the heads of posters in this thread depresses the hell out of me. Looks like the schools being closed has really damaged people's levels of literacy and comprehension.

RTÉ aren't reporting the global protests was my point. And then someone does a search for the US one to demonstrate that they did report on that, and another supposedly reports me to the Gardaí because apparently we're not allowed to discuss external news, then many posters use it as a platform to express how they feel black people deserve to be discriminated against because there aren't enough places to do that online apparently.

London today:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1290729/london-black-lives-matter-protest-george-floyd-death-US-protest-hyde-park

I still don't see the problem here. We live in a world where info from any corner of the planet is available 24x7 at the touch of a button. If you (or anyone) is that interested in what reaction this has caused in France, or the UK, or China or New Zealand it's all there for you.

It hardly needs expanded coverage on our limited airtime national news programmes given it didn't happen here, didn't involve an Irish citizen, and has no bearing on racial relations in Ireland.

Maybe most people (outside of Twitter and social media) just don't care as much as you do? Some of the radio shows do I grant you, but then that's partly because they're obsessed with all things Trump and using it as a stick to beat him with. As I said, you'd think the guy was OUR president the way some in this country go on about him.

I can't say I've any real interest in the story myself if I'm blunt about it. It shouldn't have happened, those responsible should be prosecuted, but he wasn't the first, unfortunately won't be the last and the social issues over there are something that need a lot more than knee-jerk outrage.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/black-lives-matter-protest-planned-for-dublin-is-cancelled-1.4269763%3fmode=amp

Have to say I'm quite glad that it's cancelled. Americans online were saying that it would be much safer and more effective to keep doing online work to promote the cause. One on Reddit even said that it would go almost entirely unnoticed and wouldn't be worth it. Any Americans I know have not attended the ones in their own cities because they don't want to catch Covid-19.

https://twitter.com/Niallofcork/status/1268153320729972737?s=20

Statue of slave trader Edward Colston pulled down during Bristol demonstrations

https://twitter.com/i/events/1269642861122744321

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1269642592247001088?s=19

They dragged it down to the water and chucked it in. Apparently locals had been campaigning for decades to get rid of it. Loads of streets are named after him as well so they might be changing that too.

Amsterdam
    https://twitter.com/uhsleepbeats/status/1267505814090264576?s=19

Here are all the stories RTÉ have reported for the week. There's very little about the global situation.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22RTE.ie%22+protests&safe=off&tbs=sbd:1,qdr:w&tbm=nws&prmd=niv&source=lnt&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb0MT5hvDpAhXDoXEKHYg7C3kQpwUIIA&biw=360&bih=464&dpr=3

Here are the total search results on RTE.ie for the past 24 hours.

515582.png

Imagine if you relied on them for your news, you'd be completely in the dark.

Statue of slave trader Edward Colston pulled down during Bristol demonstrations

https://twitter.com/i/events/1269642861122744321

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1269642592247001088?s=19

They dragged it down to the water and chucked it in. Apparently locals had been campaigning for decades to get rid of it.

Actually a clear majority favoured keeping it, when the issue was last polled in 2014.

I think the reason you won't see things like this prominently reported is not the reason you think.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Actually a clear majority favoured keeping it, when the issue was last polled in 2014.
    The Bristol post polled its readers, not the same thing as a poll of the population.

The Bristol post polled its readers, not the same thing as a poll of the population.

If you have any better measure of public opinion on the issue by all means enlighten us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think the protests in Hong Kong are far more important. In America despite its problems they have rights when it comes to protests, ditto Europe. Civil rights we take for granted are been eroded in Hong Kong

golfball37 wrote: »
    I think the protests in Hong Kong are far more important. In America despite its problems they have rights when it comes to protests, ditto Europe. Civil rights we take for granted are been eroded in Hong Kong

With China ignoring any protests in Ireland, just as the US would ignore any protests happening in Ireland... except perhaps as a footnote on a media report. Well done, a 5 second notice, dismissed almost instantly.

What do you expect protests in Ireland to actually achieve regarding HK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

With China ignoring any protests in Ireland, just as the US would ignore any protests happening in Ireland... except perhaps as a footnote on a media report. Well done, a 5 second notice, dismissed almost instantly.

What do you expect protests in Ireland to actually achieve regarding HK?

I wasn’t advocating protests here. I was highlighting lack of coverage of what’s going on over there, relative to America.

Advertisement