Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding Bluetooth

• 03-06-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Considering adding bluetooth to an old(-ish) laptop.
    Is it just a matter of replacing the wifi card with one that has wifi and bluetooth onboard? I know I could use a BT usb dongle but I want to keep the usb's free for other use.

Comments

peking97 wrote: »
    Considering adding bluetooth to an old(-ish) laptop.
    Is it just a matter of replacing the wifi card with one that has wifi and bluetooth onboard? I know I could use a BT usb dongle but I want to keep the usb's free for other use.

Yes just change the card but verify the connection type (e.g. m.2 etc) and may need to look at drivers if an older version of Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

So I went ahead and replaced the Wi-Fi only card with a Wi-Fi+Bluetooth card and now my wi-fi speed has dropped dramatically. Used to have from 45-47 Mbps down and about 10 up but now only averaging about 10-15 down and the same up?
    Original card was Atheros AR5B97 and new card is Intel AC-7260HMW with the latest Intel driver 18.33.17.1
    Any ideas/recommendations appreciated!

seems like from that article that there are issues that can arise with that model of wireless card if the settings between it and the router are not aligned as it likes

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

Thanks for the reply. Yes it looks like that alright. Only received from Amazon UK and fitted yesterday so I'm thinking of returning same and buying a different one. When I purchased it I hadn't realised it was a discontinued model. I guess I should have done a bit more research in advance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement