Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Dorn - 77 years old shot by looters - no protests for you

Options

Comments

The whole thing stinks.
    • The 4 cops should be on trial for murder or being an accessory.
    • The media are having a field day using Floyd's death as a political football
    • The children of white middle class and wealthy parents are saying "looting is justified" and in the US their counterparts are out robbing iPhones in a brave fight against capitalism
    • The protesters are holding up signs "Black Lives Matter" while not social distancing and will be directly responsible for thousands of preventable deaths, many of them black.
    • The media has failed to criticise the social distancing, while last week lecturing us all about the smallest infraction
    • Law abiding moderates in the US are sitting scared in their homes worried for their and many will now be radicalised, one way or another. I can see this rescuing Trump's election prospects.

It's unfortunate, as there are systemic racist issues in the US, but this will achieve nothing and is an indictment of our rubbish media and unthinking tribalist politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

One of the guys I worked with in the US was shot and killed 2 years ago, after he stopped to change somebody else's tire. It made local news. It didn't make it past local news because over 100 people a day get shot and killed in the US. In some locations in the US, it wouldn't have even made the local news.

If you can't see the difference between gun deaths and police officers slowly torturing a man to death over the course of 10 minutes, then you should move over to the US and enjoy being the in presence of a police state with no accountability.

splinter65 wrote: »
    But we’re not in America so either it’s the pavement or the footpath. Too many posters on this thread already imagine they are living in a “walk up on the upper east side” when what they live in, and all they’ll ever live in, is a semi in an estate on the outskirts of Athlone .
    It is a Gehweg where I am, you inconsiderate B*******. I'm highly offended that neither you nor the OP have shown me the consideration I deserve. I feel like lashing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The whole thing stinks.
    • The children of white middle class and wealthy parents are saying "looting is justified" and in the US their counterparts are out robbing iPhones in a brave fight against capitalism

It's unfortunate, as there are systemic racist issues in the US, but this will achieve nothing and is an indictment of our rubbish media and unthinking tribalist politics.

Who has said looting is justified? You might find some clown on the internet who thinks looting is justified but it's not a sentiment I've come across. I've only come across the exact opposite sentiment and blanket condemnation of looting.

But on your last point you're dead wrong. I think people will know the name "George Floyd" for generations to come. I think this will be an important point in US history. I don't think all the issues will be solved any time soon, but the grace period for ignoring race issues and always backing the cops who kill black people, has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who has said looting is justified? You might find some clown on the internet who thinks looting is justified but it's not a sentiment I've come across. I've only come across the exact opposite sentiment and blanket condemnation of looting.

But on your last point you're dead wrong. I think people will know the name "George Floyd" for generations to come. I think this will be an important point in US history. I don't think all the issues will be solved any time soon, but the grace period for ignoring race issues and always backing the cops who kill black people, has expired.

Can't see it to be honest, and its sad to say that.
    I don't think much will change.

Cal Thomas commenting on The Last Word the other day said that something like $24 trillion has been spent in US history on trying to eradicate poverty and on community projects to improve the lives of those less well off, and we still are no further forward.

I can't see any improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

One of the guys I worked with in the US was shot and killed 2 years ago, after he stopped to change somebody else's tire. It made local news. It didn't make it past local news because over 100 people a day get shot and killed in the US. In some locations in the US, it wouldn't have even made the local news.

If you can't see the difference between gun deaths and police officers slowly torturing a man to death over the course of 10 minutes, then you should move over to the US and enjoy being the in presence of a police state with no accountability.

spent many happy years living there ..
    we all have those stories so what..

I knew of a teenage girl there who got murdered by someone who wasnt a legal resident, the crime involved a broom stick handle, broken, and I leave it to your imagination where it ended up. Will never forget the picture of her face
    That made state news but no further, care to wonder why the main stream media didnt headline that story and you and your ilk didnt feel fit to go out and protest over it ...

The cats out of the bag, hopefully it never goes back in . The lid is finally off, the Covid-19 global pandemic and now the idiocy and double standards of these protests has blown the lid on many of the fallacis and wasted oxygen and print the left has been getting away with for years.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't see it to be honest, and its sad to say that.
    I don't think much will change.

Cal Thomas commenting on The Last Word the other day said that something like $24 trillion has been spent in US history on trying to eradicate poverty and on community projects to improve the lives of those less well off, and we still are no further forward.

I can't see any improvement.

Joe Biden has pledged to reform the police (political promise notwithstanding) that's a pledge that wouldn't have washed in the past. There's appetite now for change. We'll see if it comes to fruition. I think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The US in comparison to Europe seems a hugely violent society. The murder rate in some of the cities like Baltimore or Chicago is huge. The availablity of guns, it shouldn't be a surprise that people are being murdered as part of this unrest. But its still sad and horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The US in comparison to Europe seems a hugely violent society. The murder rate in some of the cities like Baltimore or Chicago is huge. The availablity of guns, it shouldn't be a surprise that people are being murdered as part of this unrest. But its still sad and horrible.

But but but guns don't kill people.

Ahh forget it.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    That made state news but no further, care to wonder why the main stream media didnt headline that story and you and your ilk didnt feel fit to go out and protest over it ...

If that murderer had a union that protected them, institutionalised acceptance that they were probably right to kill the girl, a legal system that makes it difficult or even impossible to prosecute the guy and loads of politicians up to the president that would back that guy up, then we'd have a good analogy. But that situation doesn't exist so it's not a great analogy, is it?

The George Floyd death isn't different from lots of other killings. the only difference is the size of the public reaction has forced them to charge one police officer (but not the others directly involved). Protest works

• Advertisement

I knew of a teenage girl there who got murdered by someone who wasnt a legal resident, the crime involved a broom stick handle, broken, and I leave it to your imagination where it ended up. Will never forget the picture of her face

Why were you there when it happened? :confused:

A story like that would certainly be reported on, what year and what area in the States? will be easy enough find.

Boggles wrote: »
    But but but guns don't kill people.

Ahh forget it.

No they don't on their own. Other countries have a huge gun ownership and don't have the level of murder or violent crime that the US.

There is obviously more to It.

No they don't on their own. Other countries have a huge gun ownership and don't have the level of murder or violent crime that the US.

There is obviously more to It.

I was been sarcastic, of course the availability of guns is directly linked to the homicide rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

It's mind boggling.

I remember talking to a bunch of guys in Denver a few years ago about guns. They didn't believe me that I didn't have a gun. They laughed when I told them I didn't even know where to buy a guy in Ireland.

One of the lads had a loaded pump action shotgun under his bed at all times and hand gun in his bedside locker.

There was an anonymous march in the city one evening, the police presence was incredible - it was like something out of a movie for me.

Trigger happy is an under statement.

I was been sarcastic, of course the availability of guns is directly linked to the homicide rate.

Sorry. I didn't get you were being sarcastic. You never know around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Shh don't be posting uncomfortable facts that the woke left on here won't like

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Keyzer wrote: »
    It's mind boggling.

I remember talking to a bunch of guys in Denver a few years ago about guns. They didn't believe me that I didn't have a gun. They laughed when I told them I didn't even know where to buy a guy in Ireland.

One of the lads had a loaded pump action shotgun under his bed at all times and hand gun in his bedside locker.

There was an anonymous march in the city one evening, the police presence was incredible - it was like something out of a movie for me.

Never been to the US, but younger brother visited friends there maybe 10 or so years back.

They got into a crowd who would party at home and then head out to the pub, one American guy they met grabbed his gun as they were leaving the house one night, and when asked why he was bringing a gun to the pub, his response was "in case it kicks off".

Completely different mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Statistics statistics.
    The level of burglaries is lowest in the states with the highest number of gun ownership.

I also didn't know the level of budget that is allocated to the police. It's over 50 per cent in some cities

Maybe they need to get more efficiency by focussing on violent crime instead of the unwinable drug war.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nermal wrote: »
    'Ordinary citizen'.

https://twitter.com/whattingh/status/1267876694028947457

Absolutely puke-inducing to watch idiots all over the world kneeling for this waste of space.

Is this definitely true?

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote: »
    It's mind boggling.

Trigger happy is one thing but do they think about the consequences of shooting someone, even a burglar? Most people will be traumatised for life by shooting someone. Might never sleep soundly again. Some of them talk about it like they'd love to get a go at shooting someone, like it would be getting to play Call of Duty in real life. That's the situation they're in now. the people have guns so the burglars have guns, so the people need guns so the burglars need guns. Now a simple burglary is a shooting matter. Very sad situation

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

In more current affairs...
    seeing as how we are having threads for victims of heinous crimes in America , lets have one for David Dorn.

Shot dead trying to protect a business from looters and peacful protestors who were honouring George FLoyds memory by destroying everything they could lay their hands on.

He was a retired St. Louis police captain who became a small-town police chief and was found fatally shot early Tuesday outside a pawn shop that was looted after protests over the death of George Floyd turned violent.
    He was shot in the stomach and left to bleed out on the sidewalk at 2AM .

It was just one of 50 plus businesses damagaed in that small area, by the peacful protestors out expressing anger at their communities being left behind by destroying the livelihoods and stores in said community.

He deserves to not be forgotten just as poor old George Floyd .Especially after giving 38 years working as a police officer in that neighbourhood.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/small-town-police-chief-killed-officers-cities-wounded/story?id=71017820

Lets bare a few moments to think of the widow he leaves behind. May she find solace and comfort.

There wont be any editorials, or much column inches given over to David Dorn in the main stream media or up-coming weekend newspapapers.. I guess they didnt teach critical thinking in journalism college these days. They dont have the language to even discuss it other than to give a footnote and small bio and move on to the more exciting race-baiting micro-macro aggression that runs off the global newswire they all suck the teat of.

Theres no spin to put on his death that will help the media with their virtue signaling rating battle. So rather than discuss it and potentially say the wrong thing, its far safer to not really discuss it all.

So no worldwide vigil for you David Dorn, no global sigh for the loss of your life, no protests, no rememberance, no headlines, no rioting.
    You didn’t fit the narrative for main stream media race baiting and politicising white on black crime to attack the incumbent President of the USA.
    So what time is the protest in Galway City this weekend to honour him ?

The liberal left wont be up in a huff over your passing. The indoctrination they subject themselves to daily, some of it knowingly some unknowingly, does'nt give them a lexicon to verbalise on your sad end. There are no social justice buzzwords they can throw out ad-nauseum with your shuffle off this mortal coil. Even their verbal gymnastics would struggle to get the N word (1936 Germany N word) into the conversation on your exit. So they will scuttle off to regroup and find another bandwagon to jump on. A bandwagon and a megaphone , twitter handle , press release where they will compete with each other to see who can be the most outraged and woke.

So RIP David Dorn.
    I suppose we should give credit where credit is due, at least the peacful protestors didnt rob a cheesecake to honour your memory.

Thank you for this post.

Edgware wrote: »
    Statistics statistics.
    The level of burglaries is lowest in the states with the highest number of gun ownership.

Well no, the reason people are breaking into the homes of gun owners, is for their guns.
    About 1.4 million firearms were stolen during household burglaries and other property crimes over the six-year period from 2005 through 2010, according to a report released today by the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). This number represents an estimated average of 232,400 firearms stolen each year— about 172,000 stolen during burglaries and 60,300 stolen during other property crimes.

Stats, much like a bikini, very revealing but they tend to hide the most important parts.

Trigger happy is one thing but do they think about the consequences of shooting someone, even a burglar? Most people will be traumatised for life by shooting someone. Might never sleep soundly again. Some of them talk about it like they'd love to get a go at shooting someone, like it would be getting to play Call of Duty in real life. That's the situation they're in now. the people have guns so the burglars have guns, so the people need guns so the burglars need guns. Now a simple burglary is a shooting matter. Very sad situation

I would have a gun if I lived in the US. Likelyhood in Ireland if you have a burglar in your house they won't kill you. There is a whole other level of danger you face in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i condemned his death unequivocally

the thread is about how another persons death is ignored by the identity politics brigade

that is the politicisation of death

Yes, you've jumped in to a thread about a man's death as a way to have a pop at the "identity politics brigade", thus politicising it. In fairness, the thread itself was created for that purpose.

And it's a stupid comparison, as has been explained previously in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

spent many happy years living there ..
    we all have those stories so what..

Do you have many of those stories while living in Ireland?

I've never experienced a work place shooting while in Ireland, never had my kid's school on lockdown for an active shooter and wouldn't be worried here about my black relatives getting murdered by the Gardai.

Also have never seen the armed Garda unit standing in Dunnes on Christmas Eve just incase things kicked off.

Pretty sure a shooting in a public park that had families in it at 4:30pm would make the news here.

I think the so what is that it's a sick society with an abundance of extremists. The powder keg has gone off again.

Why was Floyd arrested in the first place?

How did he end up being confronted by police?

I presume he wasn't just innocently going about his business and they saw a black guy and spotted an opportunity to attack.

I would have a gun if I lived in the US. .

You'd actually be in the minority if you owned a gun.

You'd actually be in the minority if you owned a gun.

I know but as a five foot two woman with no other way to defend myself you can bet I would.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

In more current affairs...
    seeing as how we are having threads for victims of heinous crimes in America , lets have one for David Dorn.

Shot dead trying to protect a business from looters and peacful protestors who were honouring George FLoyds memory by destroying everything they could lay their hands on.

He was a retired St. Louis police captain who became a small-town police chief and was found fatally shot early Tuesday outside a pawn shop that was looted after protests over the death of George Floyd turned violent.
    He was shot in the stomach and left to bleed out on the sidewalk at 2AM .

It was just one of 50 plus businesses damagaed in that small area, by the peacful protestors out expressing anger at their communities being left behind by destroying the livelihoods and stores in said community.

He deserves to not be forgotten just as poor old George Floyd .Especially after giving 38 years working as a police officer in that neighbourhood.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/small-town-police-chief-killed-officers-cities-wounded/story?id=71017820

Lets bare a few moments to think of the widow he leaves behind. May she find solace and comfort.

There wont be any editorials, or much column inches given over to David Dorn in the main stream media or up-coming weekend newspapapers.. I guess they didnt teach critical thinking in journalism college these days. They dont have the language to even discuss it other than to give a footnote and small bio and move on to the more exciting race-baiting micro-macro aggression that runs off the global newswire they all suck the teat of.

Theres no spin to put on his death that will help the media with their virtue signaling rating battle. So rather than discuss it and potentially say the wrong thing, its far safer to not really discuss it all.

So no worldwide vigil for you David Dorn, no global sigh for the loss of your life, no protests, no rememberance, no headlines, no rioting.
    You didn’t fit the narrative for main stream media race baiting and politicising white on black crime to attack the incumbent President of the USA.
    So what time is the protest in Galway City this weekend to honour him ?

The liberal left wont be up in a huff over your passing. The indoctrination they subject themselves to daily, some of it knowingly some unknowingly, does'nt give them a lexicon to verbalise on your sad end. There are no social justice buzzwords they can throw out ad-nauseum with your shuffle off this mortal coil. Even their verbal gymnastics would struggle to get the N word (1936 Germany N word) into the conversation on your exit. So they will scuttle off to regroup and find another bandwagon to jump on. A bandwagon and a megaphone , twitter handle , press release where they will compete with each other to see who can be the most outraged and woke.

So RIP David Dorn.
    I suppose we should give credit where credit is due, at least the peacful protestors didnt rob a cheesecake to honour your memory.

Can we set up a white lives matter ? Or are white people not allowed do that ?

If alot of these black looters go to jail will it be classed as a racist against them

It's crazy how the snowflakes in this world get such a buzz out of anything against blacks but everyone else can go f themselves like they have a monopoly on racism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement