Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windscreen claim affect NCB?

Options
  • 03-06-2020 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

my insurance has windscreen cover it says on the policy it doesn't affect no claims bonus.My query is this true in reality do insurance companies penalise u for glass claims and do premiums rise after glass claims.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Yes it counts against you for some companies.

Look at 123.ie. When they ask you for claims history, it also includes windscreen cover.

https://www.123.ie/insurance/car-insurance/quote.123#/quote-form

try doing a quote excluding a windscreen cover claim.

Then redo the same quote WITH a windscreen cover claim and see if they even quote with the claim and if so, do they load it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

karolmc100 wrote: »
    my insurance has windscreen cover it says on the policy it doesn't affect no claims bonus.My query is this true in reality do insurance companies penalise u for glass claims and do premiums rise after glass claims.

I had a glass claim about 5 years ago now (stone cracked my windscreen). No increase in premium the following year at renewal time but as said, you would have to check with your insurer.
    Mine insurer is 123.ie and they have the claim listed in my "Claims History" document but that is about it, my no claims bonus was not affected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It goes against your record but has no impact. I've had a few replacements over the years and never an issue at any renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭karolmc100

Del2005 wrote: »
    It goes against your record but has no impact. I've had a few replacements over the years and never an issue at any renewal.
    who u insured with

How do you know?

If a premium reduced from prior year, how do you know it wouldn't have reduced further without the glass claim - for example.

But, it almost certainly goes against you with other insurance companies, maybe not so much if renewing with the same company.

It's a bit like the 'have you had a claim even if it wasn't your fault' queston. You can be sure that goes against you if you confirm you have.

• Advertisement

karolmc100 wrote: »
    who u insured with

Allianz now, but nearly every company at some stage. I check most companies when renewing.

How do you know?

If a premium reduced from prior year, how do you know it wouldn't have reduced further without the glass claim - for example.

But, it almost certainly goes against you with other insurance companies, maybe not so much if renewing with the same company.

It's a bit like the 'have you had a claim even if it wasn't your fault' queston. You can be sure that goes against you if you confirm you have.

Because when I tell the person in the call centre they say its not an issue.

If you lie when answering about previous claims it'll cost you a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Same

Because when I tell the person in the call centre they say its not an issue.

If you lie when answering about previous claims it'll cost you a lot more.

I don't dispute the bold bit, but I'm not so sure about the former statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When I worked in a broker it almost never caused an issue. The only time I saw it being a problem was when someone had like 3 windscreen claims in one year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I have a similar question.

I had a windscreen claim 2 months ago and now need to renew. I had fully comp cover with windscreen and NCD protected.

For the question “do I have any claims”, if i answer yes the quote is either huge or they refuse to quote me.

Am I supposed to answer no to this question?

The document which I received from my current insurer states that i can avail of the max NCD but also says that the number of years without making a claim is 0

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

j4vier wrote: »
    For the question “do I have any claims”, if i answer yes the quote is either huge or they refuse to quote me.

Is that for online quotes? My recollection is that this question specifically excludes glass cliams. Check the small print.

j4vier wrote: »
    I have a similar question.

I had a windscreen claim 2 months ago and now need to renew. I had fully comp cover with windscreen and NCD protected.

Am I supposed to answer no to this question?

The document which I received from my current insurer states that i can avail of the max NCD but also says that the number of years without making a claim is 0

Yes you do have to tell it is a claim, why give them an easy get out clause for when you actually need insurance.

Any of the online quotes I've got have always opened another section where you have to fill in what the claim was, windscreen is always an option.

coylemj wrote: »
    Is that for online quotes? My recollection is that this question specifically excludes glass cliams. Check the small print.

Yes I tried an post car insurance and online it says if you have had a claim then they can’t quote online and you must call them. It doesn’t allow to specify glass claims.

Regarding the NCD terminology;

Axa gives a breakdown as points on scale discount which is 1-5 . Is this the equivalent of years , 1-5 years max?

It’s just to understand when other insurance providers ask for years of NCD that it is the same thing they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The test if any claim has an effect is if you can get multiple quotes with the claim. In general it is not like 20+ years ago where any claim limited you ability to move providers.

It is seldom you see another provider refuse to quote after a windscreen claim and most will respect your bonus. Even with claims most companies now disregard smaller claims ( below 2-3k)and will quote as long as claim is settled.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement