Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete fence post with tension wire

Options
  • 03-06-2020 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, Iv purchased 6ft concrete fence post to fence off my site at 3mtr centers. Going to be 4.5ft above ground. These are the standard intermediate post with pre drilled wire holes. I plan on running 3 strands of wire either through the holes or else along the back of the posts and attach to each post with some tying wire. My questions are whether anyone has done this and which way would be better? Also to tension the wire at each end post will I just buy eye bolts to slot through pre drilled holes and tighten with them or is there any other ways to tighten the wires? Thanks in advance

Comments

The tensioner yokes are called turnbuckles.
    Its really easy to pull your posts over by tensioning the wire so make sure they are in good!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mccarthy.087

The tensioner yokes are called turnbuckles.
    Its really easy to pull your posts over by tensioning the wire so make sure they are in good!!!!

I’ll have the posts set in 18inches of concrete so should be strong enough. I’m kind of thinking of running the wire behind the post instead of through the pre drilled holes, just makes it easier to replace a post if one does get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I’ll have the posts set in 18inches of concrete so should be strong enough. I’m kind of thinking of running the wire behind the post instead of through the pre drilled holes, just makes it easier to replace a post if one does get damaged.
    Run it through. If a post breaks just keep hammering it tipp it breaks. Use your second option if you have to replace the post.
    What price are the posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Turnbuckles all the way for tensioning, Screwfix has a decent range. I'd thread the wire through rather than behind the posts, purely because it looks neater.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Are you attaching any netted fencing or similar t to the wire??

If you are, then run the wire on the fence post face, this looks better

and straight when the fencing is attached.

If its run through, then the attached fencing will be pullled in and out along the fence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think Ratchet strainers are a nicer job than turnbuckles and less problematic when the wire needs retensioning, most turnbuckles have crappy galv on them the rust on the threads starts to cause issues.
    G2419.jpg

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think Ratchet strainers are a nicer job than turnbuckles and less problematic when the wire needs retensioning, most turnbuckles have crappy galv on them the rust on the threads starts to cause issues.
    G2419.jpg

Yeah these ratchet strainers are the way I’ll go I’d say. So I set the 4 corner post in concrete over the weekend and Iv ran a few string lines off them so ready now to set the rest. One more question for ye is since I last posted I was talking to a few farmer relations and both said I should set the posts in soil/stone instead of concrete because if any livestock was rubbing against them then when set in concrete they snap whereas in soil they will have more give? My argument was that in my opinion it’s still the responsibility of the farmer to set up an electric fence perimeter so that any livestock can’t touch my fence!

kadman wrote: »
    Are you attaching any netted fencing or similar t to the wire??

If you are, then run the wire on the fence post face, this looks better

and straight when the fencing is attached.

If its run through, then the attached fencing will be pullled in and out along the fence

Iv decided just to run 3/4 lengths of wire through. Once I set up the 4 corner post I kinda made up my mind to go this way. Anyway will also be setting a perimeter hedge so i felt the chainlink was a bit of a waste of money then.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Turnbuckles all the way for tensioning, Screwfix has a decent range. I'd thread the wire through rather than behind the posts, purely because it looks neater.
    They are also available in the likes of Woodies.

Advertisement