Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCulloch M53-150WRP petrol lawn mower Self Drive Gone Cork

Options
  • 03-06-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought this lawmower over 2 years ago online from aguero.
    Last week when mowing the grass I hit a rock and it gave a crunching sound. Drive cable went loose and it would'nt drive. It cut fine though. Brought it down to be serviced and repaired last week. Just got a call from the service guys and they cannot repair it, they said they cannot get the part and its probably not worth spending the money on. They mentioned they could sell me a new mower.

What do you guys think. I can find the part online for around 80 sterling. I wouldn't be confident fitting it myself though.

I'm in Cork so if any of you can recommend somewhere to bring it to be repaired I would appreciate it.

Or should I replace it. I really dont want to be spending 400 -500 euros again on a mower and get 2 years out of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Do you have a link to the mower (original ad perhaps) so we can see exactly what it is?

If hitting something hard didn't wreck the engine (I've seen crank shafts bent so bad the blade fouls the deck) then I find it unlikely it would damage the drive system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi thanks for the reply

The mower cuts fine its just the self drive is'nt working. Could be coincidental when it hit a stone the drive gave up. I turned it over on its side today and could see that they opened the gearbox assembly as the screws were clean

The lawnmower is the exact same model as this
    https://garden.jardinitis.com/mcculloch-lawnmower-m53-150wrp-bd011/

The part I believe it needs is this
    https://www.sgarden.cz/SpareParts/577117401/GEARBOX

You've found the parts list but I'd find it hard to believe that you need that part as I don't think I've ever seen a gearbox destroyed?

If you take the cover off, remove spark plug and belt if you can you should be able to see if turning the main pulley on the top of the gearbox turns the drive shaft (removing the spark plug is so you don't start it accidentally or flip the blade around across you hand).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Looking at the diagram for parts on long shaft out of gearbox it looks like a slot for a wood roof key which would shear to protect the gearbox, I would suggest checking there first

So took the drive cover off and spotted what was wrong. The cable attached to the gearbox has broken off it seems to be held by 2 pieces of plastic that have severed. Ill see if i can attach photos.

• Advertisement

So effectively its the gearbox thats damaged because that bit is attached to the gearbox and isn't available as far as I can see from the parts diagram as a separate part?

If that is so then all I can suggest is trying a few mower places to see if they have a scrap one they can sell you a bit off. The guy I use down in Waterford has a field full of old crap but its handy occasionally for parts.

Looking at the replacement gearboxes they don't seem to include that bit? example https://www.eurekaparts.com/transmisiones/22600-gear-box-3582321728605.html

So the lawnmower was still in waranty and I raised a an assistance call with Agrieuro on it.

Got the following which I feel is a complete Joke. I've let them know the same as well. The mower is not caked in grass at all. The part is obviously badly designed have a look below and let me know what you think

Dear Mr, XXXXXXX, thank you for your email and pics. I've forwarded all the information to our technical dept. and to the manufacturing industry. Unfortunately, from the pics sent is quite visible and clear the reason of the damage. The amount of grass under the mower housing reaching the belt also has clogged the gearbox this is why the plastic cracked off (please note that the damage has not been caused due to a defective component otherwise the part would have been broken off earlier at the first use of the mower). The problem depends on the drive unit which has been damaged due to the amount of grass accumulated inside the unit and underneath the lawn mower housing, which has clogged the gearbox. Unfortunately the damage cannot be repaired by warranty (you should purchase a new drive unit) as the damage has been caused by an improper use of the unit (the cutting deck has to be keep cleaned) and not due to defective components. i'll send you here below the purchase procedure in order to make an order for the replacing parts needed if desired. - Log in to your account with email and password; - Go to MY ORDERS; - Here click on DETAILS (if you have more than one order, please refer to the order for which you need spare parts); - Here click on ORDER SPARE PARTS. By doing this, you will be able to access to the exploded view of spare parts. I remind you that you need to complete the procedure above using a computer, do not use a mobile device (tablets and smartphones). For any further information I remain at your disposal. Kind regards, Valeria

I would call bullsh!t on that on the bases that grass on its own isn't strong enough to break that component. If you have the manual check and see what it says about cleaning if you want to get back to them with a counter argument. But it does sound like it was whatever you hit that did the damage. If you can get the part at a reasonable price and the mower is otherwise OK then I think I'd go for it.

Would it be something I would be able to do myself do you reckon is it complicated as do I have to strip the mower down to do it.

You've done well so far so I don't see why not provided you have a few tools.

I might say to Agrieuro that its a design fault and can they do anything on price. I'd also ask them to guarantee that they will send the correct part that includes the bit that is broken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement