Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/best place to live in or between Stephens green and Inchicore?

Options
  • 03-06-2020 2:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Basically looking on daft and it seems the possible codes are D7, D8, and D12.

Around rialto and inchicore itself the prices seem a little cheaper.

I'll be cycling to basically stephens green being based out west as close to inchicore as possible, or vice-versa so, looking for most cost effective area in or between the two.

One or the other doesn't really matter, so long as it's close to either one or in between somewhere to minimize commute/travel times - as it will be a case of day time around stephens green, evening time around inchicore, every day.

Looking at these areas, am I about right with D7, 8 and 12?

Any other codes or specific areas I should be searching whilst looking for accommodation to meet those stipulations?

Again I'll be on a bike so there's a little leeway of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's basically a 20 minute cycle (or less) to St. Stephen's Green from Inchicore, so...Inchicore could be perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's basically a 20 minute cycle (or less) to St. Stephen's Green from Inchicore, so...Inchicore could be perfect.

Is that the cheapest/best spot considering the relevant locations?

A little closer like smithfield etc... but I can't imagine it getting cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Best and cheapest will never be the same. There are also huge differences in prices in any given area.

Easier to help if you give a budget

Caranica wrote: »
    Best and cheapest will never be the same. There are also huge differences in prices in any given area.

Easier to help if you give a budget

Pffff, 750 to 800?

It doesn't need to be luxury by any means.

1 bed studio would be perfect.

Pffff, 750 to 800?

It doesn't need to be luxury by any means.

1 bed studio would be perfect.

That will get you a room in a shared house/apartment, rather than a one bed

• Advertisement

That will get you a room in a shared house/apartment, rather than a one bed

What would I be looking at price wise for a 1 bed, realistically?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

What would I be looking at price wise for a 1 bed, realistically?

For a one bed you'd be doing well paying €1100

Is there an middle rate considered reasonable for renting a room?

I saw one ad for box room with double bunk beds.

4 sumbitches in a box room.
    Think it was 320 per month to make up the 4th.

Not down with that.

I was thinking, for renting a room, 600 could be my upper limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you want space and/or facilities (en suite)?

L1011 wrote: »
    Do you want space and/or facilities (en suite)?

Well, I do like space and facilities such as my own bathroom.

But, I'm guessing that may be a stretch on a 600 euro budget?

Curiosity but, for the aforementioned space/ensuite etc - what would I be looking at, ball park?
    It doesn't have to be pent house by any means, just - that comfort would be swell.

• Advertisement

Well, I do like space and facilities such as my own bathroom.

But, I'm guessing that may be a stretch on a 600 euro budget?

Curiosity but, for the aforementioned space/ensuite etc - what would I be looking at, ball park?
    It doesn't have to be pent house by any means, just - that comfort would be swell.

Check out the "Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?" in the accommodation and property section.

The cost of house shares seems to have plummeted. You should be able to get your own room in a house share for Euro 600.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I would say for a liveable one bed that doesn't have everything within 30cm if the front door, you'd be looking at around 1.2/1.3k minimum these days.

I would avoid Irish studios, you'll see what I mean on Daft.

If your budget is under 1k, house share.

1k... more like, 550 to 600 euro

There's availabilities but wow, they're not pretty.

Mostly a shared room at that price.

Shared room anyone?

1k... more like, 550 to 600 euro

There's availabilities but wow, they're not pretty.

Mostly a shared room at that price.

Shared room anyone?

If you want a decent room to yourself at that budget you're going to have to look further from the city centre.

If you want a decent room to yourself at that budget you're going to have to look further from the city centre.

Farther than crumlin/drimnagh?

In one sense, I was of the understanding it didn't really get much "farther", unless those areas have undergone some kind of gentrification recently?

Farther than crumlin/drimnagh?

In one sense, I was of the understanding it didn't really get much "farther", unless those areas have undergone some kind of gentrification recently?

Have you done ANY research at all?

Have you done ANY research at all?

'Splain it to me Lucy.

Help me understand.

How much farther out does the red line go anyways?

'Splain it to me Lucy.

Help me understand.

How much farther out does the red line go anyways?

You never once mentioned the Red Line. In your OP you spoke (pardon the pun) about cycling.

There are many more areas in between than just Crumlin/Drimnagh. There's a thread already here about living in Crumlin. It's mostly fine, sure, I'm 10 minutes walk to Portobello myself, no trouble around here. As for Drimnagh, I don't know enough these days but I wouldn't be rushing to live there. Happy to be put straight.

Genuinely trying to help but you've been pretty vague.

You never once mentioned the Red Line. In your OP you spoke (pardon the pun) about cycling.

There are many more areas in between than just Crumlin/Drimnagh. There's a thread already here about living in Crumlin. It's mostly fine, sure, I'm 10 minutes walk to Portobello myself, no trouble around here. As for Drimnagh, I don't know enough these days but I wouldn't be rushing to live there. Happy to be put straight.

Genuinely trying to help but you've been pretty vague.

I'm not particularly familiar with Dublin areas outside grafton st.

So if there's many other areas in between worth considering, well do share the good information fren....

Places around D4/D2 are a crime against humanity in terms of cost to quality ratio.
    In fact Dublin has the highest cost of living per capita in europe at the moment.

So I'd be willing to bite the bullet and shack up around the billy-bad-ass rat pack demographic out crumlin way, and I'd assumed crumlin was the most cost effective area.

I searched through "D8" and most listings were for crumlin/drimnagh/inchicore.

So if you know something I don't, by all means, I'm open to enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

D8 only goes to the canal, extend your search to D6 & D12 to get stuff "near d8" that may be cheaper.
    I have found that the daft map search was good to limit to certain areas, but it appears to be full of ghost ads that don't exist once you click into them. Myhome.ie is slightly better....here's a studio in stoneybatter for 700 a month

https://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/dublin-7-dublin/4432508 - its probably as good and as central you are going to get for a studio at that amount

Portobello a tough place to get (you'd nearly have to audition) but lovely spot. 5 mins walk to SS Green, 20? minute cycle to Inchicore:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/portobello/portobello-place-portobello-dublin-1166467/

Rialto, on the up area though not sure of this road, equidistant between SS Green and Inchicore, well tending towards closer to the latter. 1 min to Red Line stop.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/south-circular-road/geoffrey-keating-road-south-circular-road-dublin-1168687/

• Advertisement

Cheers do the dude who pm'd me.

Lucan, palmerstown, leixlip, maynooth etc.

It looks good, 30 minute bus ride, certainly something to consider.

In terms of searching for property, I looked on myhomes.ie - zero listings, folk just don't advertise there.

Maps section on daft yeah, every 2nd add is bogus/defunct, but just opening the links in a new tab each time saves on having to restart the search for every failed link.

I guess it's just gonna be a case of trawling daft and making inquires when adds are available and seeing what happens.

I'm gonna be based right beside stephens green in the day and just around goldenbridge/inchicore just off the red line every evening so, it's be super handy to have accommodation I don't have to travel too far to each night at 10 pm when I'm knocking off.

Way ads on daft are, I mean some of them are shameless - 2 bunk beds in a box room sharing with 3 other dudes just came out of a shipping container; cram as many in there as possible, shake down the rent and prey there's not an electrical fire. But some seem legit looking for a decent person to share their house with so my approach is just let them know I'm the man for the position and see what happens.

So far I've got 2 positive responses out of about 4 inquires so I'll keeping grinding away and hope I'm don't get stuck having to rent a room out in Leixlip - lol.

retalivity wrote: »
    D8 only goes to the canal, extend your search to D6 & D12 to get stuff "near d8" that may be cheaper.
    I have found that the daft map search was good to limit to certain areas, but it appears to be full of ghost ads that don't exist once you click into them. Myhome.ie is slightly better....here's a studio in stoneybatter for 700 a month

https://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/dublin-7-dublin/4432508 - its probably as good and as central you are going to get for a studio at that amount

Holy **** that's incredible - I didn't look at the pics but the price alone is insane.

How did you possibly locate this gem?

Must be myhome.ie cause I could find no such thing on daft.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/residential-property-for-rent/dublin-1,dublin-12,dublin-2,dublin-6,dublin-6w,dublin-7,dublin-8/?s%5Badvanced%5D=1&s%5Bignored_agents%5D%5B0%5D=1551&s%5Bsort_by%5D=price&s%5Bsort_type%5D=a&searchSource=rental&offset=20

It's like daft was playing dirty trick on me.

Scroll half way down the second page and affordable property starts to get listed.

Was someone quoting me like, 1100 min for a place in dublin??
    Pffff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rialto, on the up area though not sure of this road, equidistant between SS Green and Inchicore, well tending towards closer to the latter. 1 min to Red Line stop.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/south-circular-road/geoffrey-keating-road-south-circular-road-dublin-1168687/

Yeah, thats not in rialto, its round the corner from me in warrenmount, which actually puts it closer to town. Youre a 15min walk to stephens green from there

retalivity wrote: »
    Yeah, thats not in rialto, its round the corner from me in warrenmount, which actually puts it closer to town. Youre a 15min walk to stephens green from there

So it is. I got mixed up with the map. I walk through there all the time. The Daft map a bit off?

That studio for 700 that the dude linked, is that price like, unusual to find?

There was mention in the other price thread that prices are dropping currently and maybe that's why there's any availability at 700.

Is that why we're seeing that price now?

Yes unusual but you have to realise that when something is lower than most there is usually a reason. I wouldn't see it as an indicator of that price being a new norm.

The photos on that ad are terrible and there are some dodgy parts of the NCR.

Mr.S wrote: »
    That still applies for something decent. Anything under 1k is going to be a literal shoebox, like that place for 700 quoted above.

If that suits you, then great.

When we're talking shoebox, do you mean like,

giphy.gif

Or smaller?

Was someone quoting me like, 1100 min for a place in dublin??
    Pffff

€1,100 is a perfectly reasonable quote - at the time, you had been implying you were looking for a 1 bed apartment.

The link you put up to that daft.ie search tells a very different story - you said half-way down the page it gets affordable? i.e. this: https://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/dublin-7/97-phibsboro-road-dublin-7-dublin-2039838/

That's a ground-floor bedsit. The ad even calls it a bedsit - VERY different to a 1 bed apartment. If that's the kind of accommodation you're looking for it's actually probably a good time to be looking - plenty of people in this kind of accommodation will be moving out of Dublin where the option is available to them.

• Advertisement

€1,100 is a perfectly reasonable quote - at the time, you had been implying you were looking for a 1 bed apartment.

The link you put up to that daft.ie search tells a very different story - you said half-way down the page it gets affordable? i.e. this: https://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/dublin-7/97-phibsboro-road-dublin-7-dublin-2039838/

That's a ground-floor bedsit. The ad even calls it a bedsit - VERY different to a 1 bed apartment. If that's the kind of accommodation you're looking for it's actually probably a good time to be looking - plenty of people in this kind of accommodation will be moving out of Dublin where the option is available to them.

Curious as to how long this phase will last.
    There's ebb and flow to the rental demand market, right now it's ebbing, but naturally when demand increases the landlords gonna cash in.

Perhaps over the next month we'll see increase in availability....?

Although maybe that's difficult to predict?

Bedsit?

I was thinking more.... studio.

Advertisement