Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media and it's increasing societal damage, answers?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

From the Arab Spring to organising any type of civil protest in HK, even expressing any moderate views in China, the internet/tech was seen as a springboard and facilitator.

Now it has done a 180 reversal (you need to scan your face in China to access internet), secure msg apps have been unsecured.

HK folks were recently seen hacking/cutting down new 5G 'smart' lampposts as they were monitoring them (face/gait scans and audio/video recording).

Tunisa recently revealed a street robobot that scanned for walkers during their recent covid lockdown (more face scanning) and told them to get off the street, or else.

Now it has done a 180 reversal (you need to scan your face in China to access internet), secure msg apps have been unsecured.

Not true. I live on the Chinese mainland. No need to scan my face to access the Internet. The downside is that most internet cafes won't accept a passport for ID since they don't recognise non-Chinese characters. Chinese people need to use their ID to access the internet, but it's easy enough for them to bypass that requirement. False ID's are a thing over there, especially in the Internet cafes. (One of my students gave me a fake ID for accessing internet cafes for when we do large scale online gaming)

But yes, secure apps aren't even remotely secure.
    HK folks were recently seen hacking/cutting down new 5G 'smart' lampposts as they were monitoring them (face/gait scans and audio/video recording).

You'll see cameras all over the place in Chinese cities but most of them are inoperative except on the busiest shopping areas, or tourist sites. They're too expensive to maintain, and monitor... and considering the laziness that often comes with Chinese workers, most of them are of bad quality or terrible installations. My university has cameras everywhere... most of them are powered down, because they're too expensive to run.

A lot of what China says is happening is for PR and is fake... they don't have the means to implement a lot of their ideas... Golden on the outside but hollow on the inside. Still, I suspect the budget for HK is much higher than the mainland considering what's been happening. At the same time, don't be so quick to believe the hype...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not true. I live on the Chinese mainland. No need to scan my face to access the Internet.
    This is a pretty new rule (just came in last year Sept 2019), for China's 854 million internet users are now required to use facial identification in order to apply for new internet or mobile services.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50587098
    https://www.businessinsider.com/china-to-require-facial-id-for-internet-and-mobile-services-2019-10?r=US&IR=T
    So for 'new' contracts you'll need a face presented.
    But yes, secure apps aren't even remotely secure.
    At first they were, but now used to track down folks that are using them. also fb/tw aren't willing to surrender their 100m's of users by refusing access requests from their state.
    You'll see cameras all over the place in Chinese cities but most of them are inoperative except on the busiest shopping areas, or tourist sites.....They're too expensive to maintain, and monitor...
    They clearly exist, and have the facility to run them, not long ago a wanted chap was spotted in a stadium of 30,000 by a passive, unannouced bulk face scan. n.b. Part of Ldn are now doing similar (SoHo).

It also remains fact that in HK, protestors felt the need to take angle grinders to smart lamposts, 'for their own protection'. Years ago (when simple 3G antenna) would have gladly welcomed them as communicaiton aids.

Advertisement