Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New on Dole-Social Housing

• 03-06-2020 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Just getting myself ready for the worst but as someone who has worked for 30 years , is looking at splitting up with wife and been made redundant but will have to use that redundancy to pay off mortgage which wife( doesnt work) and kids will live in whilst i have to move out due to split up with wife.

I then will have nowhere to live and be on 203 Euro a week JSA, apart from jumping into the nearest river what help can i get around accommodation costs etc . For the kids sake i'll let them have the house but not sure where i can live. Thinking of moving away to some other cheaper part of the country away from Dublin and make a fresh start. Can i walk into welfare office in Rosscommon or somewhere and start from there in a new town or how does it work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Just getting myself ready for the worst but as someone who has worked for 30 years , is looking at splitting up with wife and been made redundant but will have to use that redundancy to pay off mortgage which wife( doesnt work) and kids will live in whilst i have to move out due to split up with wife.

I then will have nowhere to live and be on 203 Euro a week JSA, apart from jumping into the nearest river what help can i get around accommodation costs etc . For the kids sake i'll let them have the house but not sure where i can live. Thinking of moving away to some other cheaper part of the country away from Dublin and make a fresh start. Can i walk into welfare office in Rosscommon or somewhere and start from there in a new town or how does it work.

As far as I can see you’ve neither been made redundant, yet, or split with your wife, yet, but you’ve imagined yourself walking into the SW office somewhere in Roscommon, of which you know nothing, to make a fresh start.
    You need to find someone to talk to, a good listener, to talk to about your current situation, what led you here, and what solutions are open to you.
    There are always solutions and always choices don’t forget that. You just need someone to talk it over with. Do or say absolutely nothing until you’ve had some proper advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

I'd echo the above advice to sit down and talk to someone.

But for your information, if you have been made redundant, you can claim Jobseekers Benefit in the office that is designated for the address where you are currently living, usually its the office that is closest to you. If you move address, you must tell them, and they will change the office to where you have moved to. If you are living in Roscommon, you can claim in Roscommon, but not until you have an address there. An address can be somewhere you are renting, or can be the address of a friend or relative (they will ask for a letter from the person to confirm you are staying there).

The key to housing support is the local authority housing list. To be included on the list in a county, you have to have a connection with that council area, by living, working, studying or receiving medical treatment there. If you are on the housing list in one county council, they can provide support for you to find a rental property in a different area. So if you get yourself on to the Dublin housing list, they can provide support for rental costs in Roscommon. If you just land in Roscommon and approach the authorities there before you have an address, you could be refused for lacking a connection.

If you jointly own a property and can no longer live there due to the separation, the council will want to see a separation agreement to confirm the arrangements. If you cannot get a separation agreement (this must first be agreed with the other party), they may accept evidence that you have started the separation process, eg. by consulting with a solicitor, seeking legal aid (if eligible) or applying to the Family Mediation Service.

They will not allocate you a council house until the property is out of your name (but that takes years anyway), but they can approve you for HAP support if they are satisfied that you cannot reasonably provide housing from your own means. Some people (even some council officials) will tell you that you cannot receive any support until you are off the deeds. This is not correct.

There is an income limit of 35k (net) for a person living by themselves, so if your current income is above this, you will have to wait until you are made redundant before you can apply for the list.

HAP support works by the council paying your rent for you, and you paying the council a percentage of your income (the amount depends on which county you live in). There are limits. Check them out before you start looking for properties.

There is additional support if you live in Dublin and are considered at risk of becoming homeless, but the council's definition of this is very strict and would most likely not fit your circumstances.

You can ask for support to help with the deposit, but this is discretionary and in circumstances where you have received a redundancy payment, they may not assist you with this. It may be reasonable to set aside some of the redundancy payment towards your initial housing costs, even for the first month or two, to enable you to get established and make any necessary applications.

Get the support you need in place, and if you have any specific questions, ask away.

Advertisement