Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22,698 people recovered in Ireland so far. But how many of them are 100% ok after?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

karlitob wrote: »
    If you selectively heard that this would be a mild illness then that’s an issue for you, but we were never told that.
    RTE are still saying it! Can’t say I agree with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

No one (the DoH or HSE) ever said it would be a mild illness.

They said that most people would have mild symptoms (as proved by the large number of asymtpomstics), 20% would have moderate symptoms and 1-5% would have severe symptoms, and who may die. Notwithstanding that we don’t know much about the disease.

If you selectively heard that this would be a mild illness then that’s an issue for you, but we were never told that.

Having mild symptoms is still an illness. We were told that the majority will have mild symptoms, so that's a mild illness.

Some people getting over this in a week. That's a mild illness. Ryan Tubridy had mild symptoms. That was a mild illness.

This is exactly what we were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

ka2 wrote: »
    RTE are still saying it! Can’t say I agree with them.

No - the poster said the ‘we were told it would be a mild illness’. I said that we weren’t told that - we were told that for some people it would be mild, others moderate and others severe. You then found a clip from rte and proved my point - thank you.

Also - you don’t ‘need to agree’ with RTE. It’s not something that they need or require. Nor is your insight into illness required. The DoH and HSE are the source of truth for disease in ireland. Listen to them - they don’t need your agreement either.

There no real illness that can be described as mild for an entire population. Illness affects people differently. Chicken pox is mild, but can still kill people.

Having mild symptoms is still an illness. We were told that the majority will have mild symptoms, so that's a mild illness.

Some people getting over this in a week. That's a mild illness. Ryan Tubridy had mild symptoms. That was a mild illness.

This is exactly what we were told.

No - you said “we were told it would be a mild illness”.

I stated that we were never told that it was a mild illness - we were told that it would be mild for some, moderate for others and severe for a few, causing death. They are not the same things. So it is NOT ‘exactly what we were told’

I then quoted some figures and the other poster put up a link to rte proving my point. That is ‘exactly what we were told’.

We were told that even though most would be asymptomatic or mild, that others may not be so lucky.

Sure why in the name of god would the world go into lockdown if this was a mild illness. Where have you been for the last three months.

Experts have been studying this disease closely all year. We would have heard about it by now if people needed months of physio to walk again or had permanent lung damage. The media love to scaremonger, they would have been all over it. of course there will be some examples but most people recover just fine within a few weeks.

Well that’s not exactly true. Critical care myopathy is a normal consequence of prolonged icu admission etc. and Lung function would likely be affected.

As wards have been empty there has been plenty of time to rehabilitate. But since the healthcare world is always docs and nurses there’s never much focus put on the hard years rehabbing a patient by a wealth of health and social care professionals.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-reality-of-coronavirus-intensive-care-in-wales-and-long-road-to-recovery

• Advertisement

No - the poster said the ‘we were told it would be a mild illness’. I said that we weren’t told that - we were told that for some people it would be mild, others moderate and others severe. You then found a clip from rte and proved my point - thank you.

Also - you don’t ‘need to agree’ with RTE. It’s not something that they need or require. Nor is your insight into illness required. The DoH and HSE are the source of truth for disease in ireland. Listen to them - they don’t need your agreement either.

There no real illness that can be described as mild for an entire population. Illness affects people differently. Chicken pox is mild, but can still kill people.
    Stop being such an asshole about it. I normally do agree with RTE but this whole thing of "you need to be around an infected person for 20 minutes" is a load of crap. You can pick it up from an infected surface without having being around someone.

Stop being such an asshole about it. I normally do agree with RTE but this whole thing of "you need to be around an infected person for 20 minutes" is a load of crap. You can pick it up from an infected surface without having being around someone.

It is not a load of crap - a ‘close contact’ is defined by the HSCP (Hse) as being face to face with an infected Person. You do know that they report the news and can back it up with facts - they didn’t invent this stuff.

Picking it up from infected surfaces Is when you touch your face and eyes etc. Hence the message to wash your hands.

And perhaps engage in the argument rather than calling me names. It’s not a nice thing to do.

You know what? I'm out. Far too many pricks on this site for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Know a person locally, wasn't hospitalized with it but has damage to the heart after it.

You know what? I'm out. Far too many pricks on this site for my liking.

That’s probably best since you can’t seem to debate a point with someone who disagrees with you.

• Advertisement

No - you said “we were told it would be a mild illness”.

I stated that we were never told that it was a mild illness - we were told that it would be mild for some, moderate for others and severe for a few, causing death. They are not the same things. So it is NOT ‘exactly what we were told’

I then quoted some figures and the other poster put up a link to rte proving my point. That is ‘exactly what we were told’.

We were told that even though most would be asymptomatic or mild, that others may not be so lucky.

Sure why in the name of god would the world go into lockdown if this was a mild illness. Where have you been for the last three months.

We were told that 80% of infections was going to be mild. They never gave any definition of what mild was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

We were told that 80% of infections was going to be mild. They never gave any definition of what mild was.

I very rarely agree with you, but you're right

Even the radio public service Ads had many mentions of "for about 80% of cases, this can be remedied with over the counter medication"

Now you’re just being obtuse. 80% of infections *are* mild.

There is no formal ‘definition’ of mild. (At least there may be some attempt at a definition in the literature but certainly no consensus - what with this being brand new.) There are only symptoms of Covid-19, as best we know them. And, like all diseases, a spectrum of responses in people. Most people symptoms are mild, for some they are moderate, and others they are severe.

The link is already there from RTE on the numbers. If you want the source of truth then look up the DoH daily report, the HSE daily report or the HPSC daily report.

To help you, I gave a stab at a definition. You could pretty much apply this to all health conditions. That should save you some time.

Severe = ICU and Death; as reported in every daily report from the DoH
    Moderate = bad enough to be hospitalised it closely monitored by your GP.
    Mild = Not Moderate or Severe.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I very rarely agree with you, but you're right

Even the radio public service Ads had many mentions of "for about 80% of cases, this can be remedied with over the counter medication"

What are you on about. She’s not right. She said that ‘they’ said that this was going to be a mild disease. I said that it wasn’t true and 80% of people would have mild symptoms. Then you quote ads that support my point.

Why is there a pandemic and international lockdown of this is a mild disease. It’s a highly contagious disease where most people will have mild symptoms but lots of people will have moderate and severe symptoms which will have the effect of killing people and overwhelming our health services.

This isn’t rocket science.

There is no formal ‘definition’ of mild. (At least there may be some attempt at a definition in the literature but certainly no consensus - what with this being brand new.) There are only symptoms of Covid-19, as best we know them. And, like all diseases, a spectrum of responses in people. Most people symptoms are mild, for some they are moderate, and others they are severe.

The link is already there from RTE on the numbers. If you want the source of truth then look up the DoH daily report, the HSE daily report or the HPSC daily report.

To help you, I gave a stab at a definition. You could pretty much apply this to all health conditions. That should save you some time.

So the poster above who said they knew someone who wasn't hospitalised and has damage to the heart. Is that mild to you?

Damage to the heart doesn't sound mild to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My Mam had it and is 100% after, she was hospitalised for 4 days and put on oxegen machine, lucky she had not to go on a ventilator, all in all, start to finish about 5 weeks of feeling like crap...

A 35 year old lad on her ward died so puts it in perspective that I think my mum got away lightly, I count my blessings...

So the poster above who said they knew someone who wasn't hospitalised and has damage to the heart. Is that mild to you?

Damage to the heart doesn't sound mild to me.

Now you’ve moved from obtuse to dense.

No - that’s person is not in the mild category, they are in the other 20% of moderate and severe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I thought it was reported approx 80% would get a mild dose. Approx. 20% would be more severe needing hospital care with approx 5% becoming critical and needing ICU.

The 80% that was reported for a mild dose, I thought they meant mild as in not needing hospitalization. We were led to believe in the early days that it would be like a flu for two weeks. The long tail has now been reported and brought into the mix for the 80%. Not everyone would get a long tail but its still tough going for the long tail. My understanding of this is that, it might turn out to be like a malaria type of sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There certainly is a formal medical definition of Mild. You allude to it but underplay it. Mild means not requiring hospitalisation or aggressive medical treatment. Mild cases of Covid can still be extremely debilitating and result in long term medical issues.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    There certainly is a formal medical definition of Mild. You allude to it but underplay it. Mild means not requiring hospitalisation or aggressive medical treatment. Mild cases of Covid can still be extremely debilitating and result in long term medical issues.

There isn’t really a formal definition of mild symptoms of a particular illness. There can be consensus depending on the disease in the literature.
    Admitted or not admitted is a shorthand, practical and day to day definition of mild.
    I never said that mild couldn’t have long term medical issues.
    Sure a vast number of patients who go to a GP do not get admitted but have long terms issues with mild symptoms. Mild asthma. Mild eczema. Etc.

The poster said we were all told that this disease was mild and us somehow surprised that people died or had some consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think when the lay person hears "mild", they think "mild compared to the diseases that I commonly get - heavy cold, iffy tummy, man-flu, etc". Many cases of CV19 are not at all "mild" in this sense.

owlbethere wrote: »
    We were led to believe in the early days that it would be like a flu for two weeks.

We were never told it would be like the flu. We were told that it was not like the flu. Here’s the WHO special Covid-19 envoy explaining

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-faces-continuous-threat-coronavirus-22174483.amp

And the director general Who on 3rd March

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020#:~:text=COVID%2D19%20causes%20more,%25%20of%20those%20infected.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think when the lay person hears "mild", they think "mild compared to the diseases that I commonly get - heavy cold, iffy tummy, man-flu, etc". Many cases of CV19 are not at all "mild" in this sense.

I understand what you’re saying. But the point is that a lot of People with mild Covid-19 Have Symptoms exactly Like what you are suggesting.

There are those with prolonged symptoms, or more Moderate and severe responses - they are clearly not in the mild. And therefore are in the 20% - as best we know about the disease at this stage.

The point is that one said that it is a mild illness. They said that most people will have mild symptoms. Sure we’ve a load of people who are asymptomatic. How much milder can it get?

Peregrinus wrote: »

And obviously there is no such disease as ‘man-flu’ - which is a sexist and offensive term.

Flu kills people - men and women and I don’t think you should make light of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They were away on holidays to an affected region earlier in the year. Chances are that it was Covid-19.

- On holidays
    - Symptoms
    - Doctor thinks it was false negative

But boards thinks differently.

Why didn't GP get them re-tested??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Latest illness bandwagon... What a way to describe it. Just because you can't see if someone has Lyme disease, it doesn't mean they don't have it.

Maybe you would like something like the smallpox, something you can see.

You seem to know an awful lot of people with an awful lot of unfortunate things happening to them during this pandemic. Not saying you're a Walter Mitty, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.............

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Absolutely not good enough!

The long tail/long recovery of many cases of this (even in young healthy people) needs to emphasised more

At the moment it feels like a cover up

What are you on about?

A cover up? What cover up? Why a cover up? Do you wear tin hats?

This is a NEW disease. We (The entire world) don’t know much about it at all.

Prolonged stays in ICU NORMALLY cause prolonged de-habilitation affecting nearly every part of the body - look up critical care myopathy you see how it affects the muscles. Add in any specific damage to the lungs as a consequence of Covid-19 then it could be even longer.

It’s clear to anyone with a modicum or sense that you cannot tell what the long term consequences are of a disease that is brand new.

Cover up. Maybe you should cover up. Do us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I understand what you’re saying. But the point is that a lot of People with mild Covid-19 Have Symptoms exactly Like what you are suggesting.

There are those with prolonged symptoms, or more Moderate and severe responses - they are clearly not in the mild. And therefore are in the 20% - as best we know about the disease at this stage.

The point is that one said that it is a mild illness. They said that most people will have mild symptoms. Sure we’ve a load of people who are asymptomatic. How much milder can it get?
    The point is that there is a spectrum of severity, from asymptomatic to grave, even fatal, illness.

When people hear that, say, 80% of cases are "mild", they think "mild" in the sense that I just mentioned. But that's often not what's meant. Many of the 80% of mild cases have what they regard as a really nasty dose, and are as sick as they have ever been, with prolonged consequences. They don't want to hear that they've had a "mild" case, but they have.
    And obviously there is no such disease as ‘man-flu’ - which is a sexist and offensive term.

Flu kills people - men and women and I don’t think you should make light of it
    I don't mean to make light of it - "man-flu" is not a flu at all; it's typically a heavy cold. Many people think they've had the flu when they haven't, and when they hear that CV19 may be more severe, or less severe, than the flu, the "flu" they are mentally comparing in their head is nothing like an actual flu.

My wife also had all the symptoms but tested negative. If she didn’t have Covid then she must have contracted another severe illness with exactly the same symptoms but that’s unlikely and the GP told her the tests are unreliable and that it’s very likely she had it.

He also told her about a family had had sent for testing. They all had Covid symptoms yet only 2 of them tested positive.

There is no negative test.
    Just detected or not detected. Not detected does not mean that you don’t have it. Only that you don’t have sufficient viral load to detect it.

Hope she’s feeling better.

• Advertisement

A very fat, unfit, obese man of 55 years had it, was hospitalised and for all the media to see...was on death door by their accounts!!

cut to a few weeks later and he's seen out running in London!!!

Boris Johnson...

Either he didn't have it at all, or tons of people have what may be Undiagnosed Underlying conditions as has been discussed

Advertisement