Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingswood Mews

Options
  • 03-06-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

Myself and partner are looking at a property at Kingswood Mews but are new to the process and have not bought a home together before.
    Am keen to know what people's view are of these with regards to their price, location, spec etc.
    Have been in the area a few times - haven't seen anything that would alarm me, seems like a nice settled area with decent parks next door and nearby (Tymon Park) - However, it backs on to the M50 and the red line Luas, so there could potentially be a lot of noise.

Is the noise of the M50 likely to have a negative effect on the value of the house in years to come?

We are yet to pay a holding deposit, but also have reservations about the price given the common belief that house prices will drop over the next 18 months (albeit some suggest this won't impact new builds greatly). Borrowing from parents is an option, but would rather not go down that route and avoiding this would certainly make it a lot more affordable.

Any opinions, advice, experience that you can add would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I wasn't familiar with the particular development- before I just Googled it a few minutes ago.
    I think the pricetag is pretty much setting a record for Dublin 24 (Tallaght). Kingswood has always been part of Tallaght (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but its not a prestigious sort of address which commands a 400-500k+ pricetag.
    I can honestly say I have never seen units selling for this price in D24 (and I am familiar with the area- I went to school there as a kid over 30 years ago).
    The selling agent is also trying to suggest the address is 'West Dublin' which is probably out there as one of the biggest porkies they have ever told.
    Its Tallaght. There is nothing inherently wrong with it being Tallaght- but it is Tallaght, plain and simple.

Will these units loose a portion of their prices as they are backing onto the M50?
    Honestly- the day you sign your contract, these will loose at least 10% in value (if not more) for any subsequent purchaser.
    As for the M50 being a factor- I doubt it.
    The biggest factor of all here- is the pricetag- they are so out of kilter with the general area that its almost comical.
    They may (and its a conditional 'may') keep a premium in comparison to other properties in the neighbourhood.
    Look around the neighbourhood though. Look at the rest of Dublin 24. How does it compare to these units pricewise?
    You will get a premium on other D24 locations- as they're well spec'ed A rated units- and the show house does genuinely look nice- but the asking price on the showhouse is 520k. This is nutty.

I genuinely like the houses- I do not like the price of them, and I do not like the area. Get to know Dublin 24. Can you see yourself living there longterm or can you see yourself wanting to move elsewhere in due course. Unless you absolutely are in it for the long haul- forget it. As for the price- they're so damn expensive its almost impossible not to get more bang for your buck elsewhere. I actually am scratching my head as to how they came up with their pricing policy. Its a staggering price for D24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

I wasn't familiar with the particular development- before I just Googled it a few minutes ago.
    I think the pricetag is pretty much setting a record for Dublin 24 (Tallaght). Kingswood has always been part of Tallaght (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but its not a prestigious sort of address which commands a 400-500k+ pricetag.
    I can honestly say I have never seen units selling for this price in D24 (and I am familiar with the area- I went to school there as a kid over 30 years ago).
    The selling agent is also trying to suggest the address is 'West Dublin' which is probably out there as one of the biggest porkies they have ever told.
    Its Tallaght. There is nothing inherently wrong with it being Tallaght- but it is Tallaght, plain and simple.

Will these units loose a portion of their prices as they are backing onto the M50?
    Honestly- the day you sign your contract, these will loose at least 10% in value (if not more) for any subsequent purchaser.
    The biggest factor of all here- is the pricetag- they are so out of kilter with the general area that its almost comical.
    They may (and its a conditional 'may') keep a premium in comparison to other properties in the neighbourhood.
    Look around the neighbourhood though. Look at the rest of Dublin 24. How does it compare to these units pricewise?
    You will get a premium on other D24 locations- as they're well spec'ed A rated units- and the show house does genuinely look nice- but the asking price on the showhouse is 520k. This is nutty.

I genuinely like the houses- I do not like the price of them, and I do not like the area. Get to know Dublin 24. Can you see yourself living there longterm or can you see yourself wanting to move elsewhere in due course. Unless you absolutely are in it for the long haul- forget it. As for the price- they're so damn expensive its almost impossible not to get more bang for your buck elsewhere. I actually am scratching my head as to how they came up with their pricing policy. Its a staggering price for D24.

Ballycullen and Firhouse are D24 and go to 400k and even 500k but i agree they are a little on the pricey side and i lived in Kingswood for over a year.
    Really nice place to live and very quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

KilOit wrote: »
    Ballycullen and Firhouse are D24 and go to 400k and even 500k but i agree they are a little on the pricey side and i lived in Kingswood for over a year.
    Really nice place to live and very quiet

Firhouse and Ballycullen are D24 but they're not Tallaght so that may explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CuriousKarl

Thanks for all your input so far guys. I agree that they are on the pricey side, especially compared with the majority of D24 but as highlighted, Firhouse and Ballycullen are both also in the same region, if not more, pricewise.
    Firhouse / Ballycullen would actually be first preference, as majority of family and friends are in D14/16, but all new builds in those regions are sold out and for mad money - you get a lot more house for your money in Kingswood, and a lot more space on your driveway compared to some of the recent offerings in Ballycullen (Ballycullen Green, Dodderbrook etc). If I recall correctly, Ballycullen Green 3 bed mid terrace start from €455k and are all gone.

Of course we could look at something like Parklands in Citywest or any of the other new sites in Citywest, which are considerably cheaper, but it's just that bit too far from where we like to spend a lot of our time and for friends to swing by etc - if kids were on the agenda then these would make a lot of sense, but they're not, at least not for a few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

500k isn't setting a record for Tallaght, there has been houses in Bancroft and the old country houses in Tallaght village that have gone for 500k and more in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thanks for all your input so far guys. I agree that they are on the pricey side, especially compared with the majority of D24 but as highlighted, Firhouse and Ballycullen are both also in the same region, if not more, pricewise.
    Firhouse / Ballycullen would actually be first preference, as majority of family and friends are in D14/16, but all new builds in those regions are sold out and for mad money - you get a lot more house for your money in Kingswood, and a lot more space on your driveway compared to some of the recent offerings in Ballycullen (Ballycullen Green, Dodderbrook etc). If I recall correctly, Ballycullen Green 3 bed mid terrace start from €455k and are all gone.

Of course we could look at something like Parklands in Citywest or any of the other new sites in Citywest, which are considerably cheaper, but it's just that bit too far from where we like to spend a lot of our time and for friends to swing by etc - if kids were on the agenda then these would make a lot of sense, but they're not, at least not for a few years..

Does it have to be a new build?

For 400k you could get a 3 bed semi in Firhouse for around 325k and do 75k worth of upgrades

Ush1 wrote: »
    Does it have to be a new build?

For 400k you could get a 3 bed semi in Firhouse for around 325k and do 75k worth of upgrades

We're eligible for the full €20k on the Help to buy scheme so it seems attractive to us, plus if we used €40k deposit (all that we have saved without borrowing from family) we would be left with nothing to use for upgrades, this would take a couple of years before we'd be satisfied, so I think we both feel we'd like to get into somewhere that is ready to go - these builds come with appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i live close to kingswood (belgard). i have to be honest..kingswood is on the turn. it has the appeareance of a lovely pretty estate which is always maintained well.. uniformly painted white houses are attractive. when it comes to the youth there is a problem in and around the local shops & pub. there have been many issues for folks leaving that area late at night..i dont want to elaborate but its only getting worse. the new school at the belgard road entrance is going to be a nightmare when it comes to traffic in the morning and afternoon..they never planned it correctly. when the temporary school was there over the last 3 years traffic was mayhem and that only held 25% of the pupils attending the new school.

in my honest opinion this time next year the housing market will be working in your favour..hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

The clock tower pub in kingswood always had a few rough heads in it which is surprising because the estate was always nice when I was there, never had a issue but I did see a lot of youths hanging around the shops, never saw them do anything. Even where I am now the woodstown spar has youths hanging around, they're harmless though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Planning permission has been granted for large new developments up the mountain from Ballycullen recently IIRK, lots of people in the area unhappy about it, (traffic congestion etc.). You could hold on and try for them.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Planning permission has been granted for large new developments up the mountain from Ballycullen recently IIRK, lots of people in the area unhappy about it, (traffic congestion etc.). You could hold on and try for them.

I think I heard about that also, they'll be quite far from civilisation if thats the case! Traffic congestion is allegedly a real problem in the area as it stands, with 30 mins a realistic time to drive up Hunterswood to the M50 at 7.30am

Advertisement