Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gentlemen, have you ever used a straight razor?

• 03-06-2020 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

I use an open comb butterfly razor normally.

I bought a shavette as a cheap alternative to a straight and nearly sliced my cheeck off.

Are proper straight razors better than shavettes?
    Is there much maintenance on them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I use an open comb butterfly razor normally.

I bought a shavette as a cheap alternative to a straight and nearly sliced my cheeck off.

Are proper straight razors better than shavettes?
    Is there much maintenance on them?

I get the best shave from a straight razor. There is bit of maintenance with them. I use the paste to keep mine sharp. The last straight I bought was off of Etsy. NOS from the 1940's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Couple of times on my head.

They give a super close shave, but really require time, concentration and practice. They're fairly unforgiving compared to cartridge blades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

I tried one a few years back but couldn’t get on with them. Always needed up with cuts.

I found it too much pfaffing about with lather as well so I’m back with cartridges and foam/gel.

I know they are very popular in here but they didn’t work for me and too time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I use a shavette and they are unforgiving. You get no warning if you're going to be cut.

Are proper straight razors better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Have a shavette I got to try my hand as they're cheaper and much less maintenance than a proper straight blade. They're tricky to use, even compared to my DE razor. I tend to have trouble with my neck due to the hair growing about 8 different ways, great shave when you manage it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement