Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco contactless limits

Options
  • 03-06-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Just an FYI tesco seem to have upped the limit for contactless to €50. Asked the girl on customer service and she said the limit for "apple pay" is €300. Assume its for Google pay too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 50 limit is the national limit for normal contactless cards and was raised by the government; anywhere still doing less than 50 just hasn't updated their kit yet.

The limit for phone based contactless services is usually the same as the transaction limit on the equivalent card would be, due to the unlocking of the phone to do it being considered similar security to a card PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Banks did this not retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The point is Tesco hadn't updated their systems and clearly have now. Most retailers updated their technology when the change was made but Tesco had some excuse about having to do it at a branch level.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

The reason I posted is that while the government increased the limit in March, tesco said that they were not able to implement it as they cc terminals had to be manually updated.
    With payment through phone, tesco up to now only had the same limit as card where as pretty much every other store allows unlimited spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

swampy353 wrote: »
    The reason I posted is that while the government increased the limit in March, tesco said that they were not able to implement it as they cc terminals had to be manually updated.
    With payment through phone, tesco up to now only had the same limit as card where as pretty much every other store allows unlimited spend.

^ This.

Thanks for the post, I assumed they still hadnt bothered as its something like 40k terminals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

swampy353 wrote: »
    Just an FYI tesco seem to have upped the limit for contactless to €50. Asked the girl on customer service and she said the limit for "apple pay" is €300. Assume its for Google pay too

The limit for Google pay is €5k and I'm pretty sure Apple have the same limit. Tesco mustn't fully trust this new tech

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep. Amongst the supermarkets, Dunnes is normally the technology laggard so really couldn't understand why Tesco still had a €30 limit on Google/Apple Pay transactions. Made no sense.

Their statement in March clarified things but I still don't understand why they didn't think it was worth bothering rectifying until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's the same in the UK. Tesco is way behind on max limits for phone transactions

Advertisement