Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to speed up pc

Options
  • 03-06-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Does anybody know how much it should cost to 'speed up and improve' a desktop computer? I have been quoted €120. I don't know exactly what is involved. All I know is that the computer was very slow. That is the only problem. Does €120 sound too expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Are they going to install an SSD drive and add some more ram? If so it's probably about right but you could do it yourself for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

what are the current specs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Andhonest wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much it should cost to 'speed up and improve' a desktop computer? I have been quoted €120. I don't know exactly what is involved. All I know is that the computer was very slow. That is the only problem. Does €120 sound too expensive?

Speed up would depend on what you wanna do with it. And what's already in it. Have you anyone Abit more tech savvy you could ask ? You could get fleeced especially when you don't know what your getting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Get a written detailed quote so that you can ask about the value of what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How old is the PC, what are the specs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Andhonest

DopeTech wrote: »
    Are they going to install an SSD drive and add some more ram? If so it's probably about right but you could do it yourself for half the price.

Yes, that is what is being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can possibly do this yourself with free software.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Andhonest

How old is the PC, what are the specs?

A few years old. That is all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SSD is well worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Parts are €50+ and if it's done with a fresh install of windows, set up and data being copied over it could be 4 hours of labour, so €120 is a fair price.

Are you getting your old drive back? For a tenner you could buy an enclosure and turn it into a back up drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SSD is well worth doing.

Yes, if indeed it does not have an SSD already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

They're probably going update some drivers and install windows XP. That speeds everything up.

Advertisement