Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new 365 app possible show stopper issues

Options
  • 04-06-2020 11:14am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, I am somewhat underwhelmed by the booklet that came in the post today, relating to the new app that is to be rolled out in the next while.

I only hope that the developers of the app have been better informed than the people that wrote the guide on how to set it up, if they have not, I can see it being deferred for a while to sort out the problems that will undoubtedly follow, given the track record of problems with the on line banking systems.

To be specific, and this really should not have got through quality control and proof reading, there is a specific error that if not correctly handled in the app will mean that it's not even going to install for some users.

The pages are not numbered, but it's Page 9, "When the new app is available to you".

Your 365 online User ID.

This is an 8-number code that you first received when you set up on line banking, It is also the number that you use when you log in to www.365online.com on the computer.

You might want to do some very urgent checking to make sure that if the user enters less than 8 digits, the application still works, or provide clear information about what to enter (leading zeros or spaces, and it could be significant) if the User ID is less than 8 digits. 

Yes, I've been using on line banking for a very long time, and while all new user ID codes are probably 8 digits, my cuurent user ID is 6 digits, and I had a second sign on until recently that also was only 6, so there are users out here in the real world, like me, who have user ID's that are less than 8 digits long

On the present app, it is shown as only 6 digits, without leading zeros

I know from painful experience that Beta testers all too often only check things with valid data, and if they've all been given 8 digit codes to test with, I wonder if anyone actually thought to test it with less than 8 digits to see what happens, as depending on how the developers coded that part of the app, if they coded it to expect and require 8 digits, that could mean that the user fails before they even get the app installed,  which could cause some serious aggravation if they are then unable to revert to the previous version that was working. 

All I can say at this point is that if things like this have managed to slip through the net, how many more issues that impact the user will come to light when it is eventually rolled out?

Underwhelmed does not even come close, it's more than worrying that something this close to the core of the app was not picked up and corrected before the roll out was approved, as clearly, there is a lack of valid and accurate information somewhere in the process.

Hopefully, you can give the relevant department a substantial prod where it's painful!

Regards

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi Irish Steve, 

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us on Boards.ie.

We will absolutely pass this on to our Digital Development Team as feedback on your behalf. 

Just to mention, the New Mobile App has 50% greater functionality than the previous version with new services including management of direct debits and standing orders, view and download statements and the ability to filter up to 12 months’ transaction history.

The first version of the New Mobile App is the foundation and underpinning platform from which the bank will deliver enhanced customer experiences based on what customers want. Built on new more agile technology, it will deliver new and better functionality to customers at a faster rate than ever before.

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Hi Irish Steve, 

We will absolutely pass this on to our Digital Development Team as feedback on your behalf. 

Just to mention, the New Mobile App has 50% greater functionality than the previous version with new services including management of direct debits and standing orders, view and download statements and the ability to filter up to 12 months’ transaction history.

The first version of the New Mobile App is the foundation and underpinning platform from which the bank will deliver enhanced customer experiences based on what customers want. Built on new more agile technology, it will deliver new and better functionality to customers at a faster rate than ever before.

Thanks, Aisling
    50% greater functionality than the last one?

Not difficult tbh as the last one was simply a web-window and was so old and undeveloped that Android warns me about it being  unusable on modern versions.

Digital development team?

Its 2020 and mobile pay solutions have been in place for more than half a decade yet your "Digital development team" are probably still fretting over the implementation of tap and go.

I got fed up of waiting and i now use Revolut which is fantastic. I imagine it will be at least another half a decade before your "Team" figure out mobile pay platforms properly.

As a long term customer of BOI, your service development is an absolute embarrassment and is stuck in the pre digital world of branches, branch managers and that era.

I would continue my disgust at the charges you demand for your embarrassingly poor banking services but this is not the thread, instead i shall show that disgust by continuing my transition to Revolut and other, much better run banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

So i just tried using the app.

It crashes.
    It also demands location permissions

Credit to your "Digital development team".
    They made an already embarrassingly bad app actually worse (it now doesn't work)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

App hasn't worked for me since I was prompted to download it.

Is not accepting PIN as correct and have now received notification that my account is blocked.

Can you provide an indication of current wait times with 365 phone banking?

Considering it is 30 minutes plus in my experience under 'normal' circumstance.

Hi Irish Steve, 

Thanks, Aisling
    50% greater functionality than the last one?

Not difficult tbh as the last one was simply a web-window and was so old and undeveloped that Android warns me about it being  unusable on modern versions.

Digital development team?

Its 2020 and mobile pay solutions have been in place for more than half a decade yet your "Digital development team" are probably still fretting over the implementation of tap and go.

I got fed up of waiting and i now use Revolut which is fantastic. I imagine it will be at least another half a decade before your "Team" figure out mobile pay platforms properly.

As a long term customer of BOI, your service development is an absolute embarrassment and is stuck in the pre digital world of branches, branch managers and that era.

I would continue my disgust at the charges you demand for your embarrassingly poor banking services but this is not the thread, instead i shall show that disgust by continuing my transition to Revolut and other, much better run banks.
    Hi There, 

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie. 

I'm very sorry to hear you feel this way, we will certainly pass this feedback on. 

In relation to Apple/Google Pay, Mobile payment functions are currently in development and we plan to introduce them in 2021. The new mobile app is the first customer offering built on our new platform, which provides us with a stable foundation to introduce new features to the mobile app on an ongoing basis.

The New Mobile App would request your location permission, but this wouldn't be mandatory and can be bypassed if you do not wish to share this. 

If you are experiencing any difficulties with setting up the New App, or require any assistance you can absolutely get in touch with our dedicated Customer Support Team on 0818 200 362, they are more than happy to help you with the app. 

Thanks, Aisling

• Advertisement

App hasn't worked for me since I was prompted to download it.

Is not accepting PIN as correct and have now received notification that my account is blocked.

Can you provide an indication of current wait times with 365 phone banking?

Considering it is 30 minutes plus in my experience under 'normal' circumstance.
    Hi There, 

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie. 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties with logging into the New Mobile App. It would be best to link in with our dedicated team on 0818 200 362. One of my colleagues will be more than happy to look into and resolve this for you. 

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Doesn't sound like a great start..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Bulmers wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like a great start..
    Yeah, another BOI cluster fcuk, can I keep the old app? (Never thought I'd say that)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The new app arrived on my phone, and installed without me actually knowing about it, in that it created a new icon, and the old app was still there and live, I came across it when I was looking for another app that I needed.

The good thing is that it did manage to install and go live without hassles, the one specific comment I would make is that the developers clearly didn't use a Samsung phone for testing, in as much as getting to access the continue option is tedious, in that the keyboard pop up tends to obscure the needed box, so it has to be moved or scrolled to move on, which is not exactly user friendly, but I guess I should be used to that sort of oversight, developers tend to concentrate on the things they need to make the app work, rather than how friendly it is, and once that's happened, getting changes made to improve the usability aspect of it tend to get relegated to lower priority.

The user ID works with less than 8 characters, which is a relief, so I guess it will be down to seeing how it all works now, I just hope that the back end is being upgraded in parallel, to get rid of some of the inconsistencies that have been there for too long as a result of the mixture of batch and real time processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

I spent 30 minutes on the phone to various people the other day and was told a number of times that I wasn't in fact locked out of my account.

The last person unlocked the account.

It's been intermittent the few times I've tried since.

The wait time prior to my call being taken was very short in fairness. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi All, 

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and experiences on our new App. 

Please be assured all feedback here will be passed to our Mobile Migration Team. 

If you need any assistance with the migration journey, please call our dedicated line on 0818 200 362. Advisors are available 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday and 10am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday. (these hours maybe subject to change)

Thanks again, 
    Alison

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Did they pull the app?

Got a new phone and went to install the app, saw updated screenshots in the Play Store but the downloaded app is just the old one?

The new app has a new Icon, and does not overwrite the older version when initially downloaded, so if you then access the old icon, you will get the old app, you will need to look through your apps to find the new version, which is a blue square, with the BOI logo in the centre, Bank of Ireland name, and the name it gets given when installed is BOI Mobile.

You then need to go through the activation process, and having just looked for the old app to compare the icons, it would seem that once the activation process for the new app has been completed and is valid, the old app is then removed, so there is only the new app remaining, in that I now have a gap in the apps where the old BOI app was located.

This is very much not clear from the information provided, (nothing new there), hopefully, you do have the new version on the phone, and can find it, then run through the relevant activation process.  

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I'm confused I was waiting for this new improved app ( IMO bank of Ireland are about 8 years behind the competition in this regard).

I thought it hadn't been released yet until I saw this thread so I opened it up and it's.... The exact same but with a different icon?

The new app is different to the old one, there is some new functionality, but not google pay or apple pay yet, despite the maturity of those apps, and supposedly, this update is the foundation of a new direction for BOI, and they are supposedly going to be introducing new things over time.

The only thing that keeps me with BOI is that we now qualify for free banking, due to our age, and I don't desperately need the ability to pay via Google  at the moment, but I have been seriously underwhelmed by the lack of progress  from BOI over a long period of time, and I was working with on line banking back in the early 70's, when the UK went decimal, and Nat west (in those days) had on line banking in their branches back then, using 1200 Baud lines to a very early mechanical computer terminal, the Burroughs TC500, so I've 50 years of exposure to what is possible within banking, and over the 30 years I have been with them since moving to Ireland, BOI have made just about every mistake it was possible to make, and even now, I'm not sure they have really learnt from those failures.

The new app arrived on my phone without me even knowing it had, and didn't replace the old one, I found (by accident) the new app, and activated it, once activated, the old app was no longer visible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I still have the old bluey green icon instead of the new bright blue one.

App store says the app was last updated in 2017 but the icon and screenshots are new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi all, thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie. 

Please be assured that we have begun the release of our new app on a phased basis in order to ensure that the launch goes as smoothly as possible. 

2 weeks ago our new app was firstly released to some Android users. Over the coming weeks it will be rolled out to all Android users and Apple users. 

This update should happen automatically for most, however we’d recommend that you’d keep an eye on the notifications in your App Store as you would be notified when this update is available for you. 

I hope that this information helps. 

Thanks, Eve 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Upgraded to new app yesterday. Seems mainly like a GUI overlay on the old platform. I don't see much in the way of new features (any?).

Only plus so far is that you are taken straight to pin entry screen on startup as opposed to having to enter username and DOB or partial phone number also.

R

Edit: FYI Android Samsung S8, update overwrote and replaced old app.

Hi All, 

The New Mobile App is being rolled out on a phased basis, starting with Android and followed by Apple.

Please be assured you will be notified when the New Mobile App is available for you to download. When you do receive this notification, you will need to re-register your device for the new mobile app. 

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just updated app and can honestly say, what was the point. I had assumed some biometric fingerprint options to be added, but no. Its basically the same as before.
    Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Kleefarr,

We’re sorry to hear you’re disappointed with our new mobile app.

It is important to remember that the new app is not an end point, but rather the launch point from which we can add additional features to future versions such as mobile payments and biometric security enhancements.

We’ll be sure to pass your feedback on to our development team.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Hi Kleefarr,

We’re sorry to hear you’re disappointed with our new mobile app.

It is important to remember that the new app is not an end point, but rather the launch point from which we can add additional features to future versions such as mobile payments and biometric security enhancements.

We’ll be sure to pass your feedback on to our development team.

Thanks,
    Richard

Looking forward to those upgrades, hopefully they won't take too long.

Advertisement