Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice areas to live in close to Portlaoise train station

Options
  • 04-06-2020 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been reading through some of the recent discussions around the nicer areas to choose when looking for a house and would appreciate some suggestions please.

We are a family of 4 looking to relocate out of Dublin and have been looking regularly on myhome.ie.

Kilminchy has already been mentioned as somewhere to avoid so I’m wondering where else would be better to focus on, ideally not too far from Portlaoise train station.

Bellingham looks lovely.

Thanks all for any tips to point us in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well anywhere in portlsoise is 5min drive from the train station really. But parking is shocking scarce and the clampers are ruthless prickks. If you’re talking about walking distance then maybe new park would be the closest ‘decent’ estate. Most estates within walking distance are pretty rough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Hi all,

Been reading through some of the recent discussions around the nicer areas to choose when looking for a house and would appreciate some suggestions please.

We are a family of 4 looking to relocate out of Dublin and have been looking regularly on myhome.ie.

Kilminchy has already been mentioned as somewhere to avoid so I’m wondering where else would be better to focus on, ideally not too far from Portlaoise train station.

Bellingham looks lovely.

Thanks all for any tips to point us in the right direction.

kilminchy is quite nice, maybe the big estate out to the LHS has become downtrodden, still some fine houses in there. you could try carrick hill, nice estate. dun masc as well.

https://www.daft.ie/laois/houses-for-sale/portlaoise/28-carrick-hill-portlaoise-laois-2314483/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Kilminchy has huge rows of 4 and 5 bed houses,, some of the really big ones with lake views are most likely out of your price range.

With that said there some are bad apples in some of the 3 bed houses, but not that many, and all in all it is not a bad place to live.
    The local pub, O Gorman's is well run, and the row of shops there is very well kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Sorry I have no idea how to multiple quote but thank you for all your responses. Especially about the pub - someone else’s question but your answer is appreciated!

Have heard mixed things about kilminchy but will take another look, thank you. That house you linked is way out of our price range but looks lovely. Will keep looking and hopefully take another trip down once the restrictions relax more.

Looking at schools also, would love an ET primary and need a secondary school as well. So much to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Try the hermitage or Rathevan either

• Advertisement

Sorry I have no idea how to multiple quote but thank you for all your responses. Especially about the pub - someone else’s question but your answer is appreciated!

Have heard mixed things about kilminchy but will take another look, thank you. That house you linked is way out of our price range but looks lovely. Will keep looking and hopefully take another trip down once the restrictions relax more.

Looking at schools also, would love an ET primary and need a secondary school as well. So much to think about.

think the schools are now out the borris road, and off the stradbally road. both close to kilminchy. not sure what is primary or secondary, and not sure about ET schools.

you could have a look at grenville, chantiere gate, Hawthorn Drive. there's lots of nice houses out the dublin road, without going into the actual kilminchy village itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

the school area is a nightmare traffic wise, you'd be better off in walking distance to that than the station IMO.

ImARebel wrote: »
    the school area is a nightmare traffic wise, you'd be better off in walking distance to that than the station IMO.

Oh really? Thanks for letting me know, that’s very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Flip side to that then is you could get caught in that traffic when you want to leave your house

Does it have to be portlaoise? Portarlington is on the train line too. Might be worth a look. Much smaller town but you'd have to weigh it up convenience Vs traffic Vs schools etc

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

The School is a Challenge alright - it' s around a 25 minute walk from the school to the train station.
    (Used to be a rake of schools, and one was just beside the station)

Esker Hills is also grand, the houses there are 2 - 5 bedroomed depending on what you are after and a 5 minute or so walk to the train station.
    There is also all the houses on the Ridge Road.
    There's an area that I forget the name of just near "old dunnes", again, 5-10 minutes of a walk to the train station.

If you are dead set on Kilminchy for some reason, O'gormans is grand as a boozer, but I prefer the Hotel bar.

• Advertisement

The School is a Challenge alright - it' s around a 25 minute walk from the school to the train station.

Esker Hills is also grand, the houses there are 2 - 5 bedroomed depending on what you are after and a 5 minute or so walk to the train station.
    There's an area that I forget the name of just near "old dunnes", again, 5-10 minutes of a walk to the train station.

If you are dead set on Kilminchy for some reason, O'gormans is grand as a boozer, but I prefer the Hotel bar.

Thanks a mil for all the info, I’ll keep looking. Honestly pubs are last on my list of things to check out but sure you know yourself!

Not dead set on Kilminchy but more so somewhere close enough to the train station for commuting etc.

Again sorry I can’t multiquote but thanks again for all the suggestions of areas and estates, it’s impossible to see online which ones are worth a look and which ones aren’t the best so all your comments are so helpful.

beechfield prob (quite nice if memory serves)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

beechfield prob (quite nice if memory serves)

Thats the one! Deffo seems quite nice, and snuggled between Old Dunnes and the Train station. Setback is that annoying Mountmellick road, but if you are on the train you are going to miss the worst of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cdscr

How is Portarlington to live now? What states should I avoid? Is The Birches a nice place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SM07

How is the Mount Stewart area ( new homes) in Portlaoise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

That's by summerhill and summerhill is a decent area so should be safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ram101

Hello thanks for all the replies, I'm looking to buy house in rockview rise portlaoise part of Millers Crest project its near the portlaoise college.

Is it considered to be good or rough area, we will be moving from Dublin blackrock to portlaoise

Thanks

Advertisement