Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I havnt used cash to pay for a take away in about a year. chippers, pizza places etc all do cards . If Im getting it delivered its paid online.

I havnt used an atm this year.

Just checked to see when I last used an ATM, June 2019.

charlie14 wrote: »
    What can I tell you, from many business`s I have dealt with they prefer cash and I prefer paying in cash as I find it has more advantages than card.
    I withdraw my salary in a few transactions, and as much as it annoys me, that is the only charge I pay banks. If business`s do not wish to take legal tender for their products, best of luck too them. I have never found a problem finding ones that do. Even quite a few that will give a discount for cash.

Mmmmm, vat fraud.

tjhook wrote: »

. Or asking a colleague who's nipping out to the shop "Here's a fiver, can you get me a sandwich?". I can't see us instead saying "Do you know your BIC and IBAN off the top of your head, so I can go online, set you up in my online banking as a payee, and transfer a fiver plus charges".

Everyone in my department has had a revolut card for ages. There was always someone asking "Get me a coffee, I'll Revolut you." Get the right money straight away, no having to struggle to get change for everyone, no fannying around.

cbreeze wrote: »
    You may still need coins for supermarket trollies. Aldi trollies need the €2 coin.

I keep an old British 2p coin for those trollies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

McGaggs wrote: »
    Everyone in my department has had a revolut card for ages. There was always someone asking "Get me a coffee, I'll Revolut you." Get the right money straight away, no having to struggle to get change for everyone, no fannying around.

Those who want to find problems will.

Those who want to find solutions will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Over 100,000 people don't have bank accounts. I personally know of someone who wants a bank account but can't open one as they don't have a driver's license or passport. Insisting on card payment may be legal but it's clearly discriminatory.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/100000-adults-in-ireland-have-no-bank-account-161470.html

Nozebleed wrote: »
    im sure they can request a preferred method of payment but the cant refuse legal tender.

They can and they do. No company is obligated to sell the product to you.

The signs are also perfectly visible outside while you wait to enter and in my local b&q they tell you when entering

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Discodog wrote: »
    Over 100,000 people don't have bank accounts. I personally know of someone who wants a bank account but can't open one as they don't have a driver's license or passport. Insisting on card payment may be legal but it's clearly discriminatory.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/100000-adults-in-ireland-have-no-bank-account-161470.html

I know somebody who didn’t have either of these and he got a document with his photo on it signed at the Garda station and it worked for him when setting up his bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Can’t they apply for a Public Service Card?, this authenticates your identity.

They can and they do. No company is obligated to sell the product to you.

The signs are also perfectly visible outside while you wait to enter and in my local b&q they tell you when entering

Off topic but have you ever been asked to sign a ML10 ID ?

• Advertisement

I know somebody who didn’t have either of these and he got a document with his photo on it signed at the Garda station and it worked for him when setting up his bank account!

He tried that & the Garda said that he couldn't sign it as the person wasn't known to him.

Dav010 wrote: »

Not according to the Bank. Has to be a passport or driver's license.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The PSC isn't an ID. It's more of a key card for public services.

Off topic but have you ever been asked to sign a ML10 ID ?

Indeed I have. I have signed them in the past for various people but now only for people I personally know and only when they legitimately have no alternative.

We get into a lot of trouble if we sign one that turns out to be false and it's abused by people who use them as id for everything.

Edit: plenty people actually know a Garda. Neighbors, friends, family and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That article is 9 years old. I’d imagine the number is significantly less now.

It’s also not discriminatory.

Dodge wrote: »
    That article is 9 years old. I’d imagine the number is significantly less now.

It’s also not discriminatory.

If water is leaking & you need an item, at the weekend, it's very discriminatory.

The PSC isn't an ID. It's more of a key card for public services.

https://psc.gov.ie/what-is-the-public-services-card/
    "The Public Services Card establishes and fully authenticates your identity"

If you go to the ccpc site, it says banks will accept this, some will also request a birth certificate, which everyone is entitled to.

AIB will accept a National Identity Card issued in an EU country

Not according to the Bank. Has to be a passport or driver's license.

Which bank? AIB will accept a PSC as a form of ID.

https://aib.ie/our-products/savings-and-deposits/personal-identification-requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If water is leaking & you need an item, at the weekend, it's very discriminatory.

Go to a different shop or borrow a friends card.

We can continue to go over this again and again but shops choosing their method of payment is not discriminatory.

In your example above, what if the item I need is 500 but I only have 300. Am I being discriminated against because I can’t afford it?

Didn't the data protection commissioner have an issue with this? I thought they came out saying companies not directly mentioned in the psc framework were to stop listing it as an accepted id.

• Advertisement

The issue was with organisations making it mandatory to have one. Not with accepting it

And it is being appealed by Government.

The issue was with organisations making it mandatory to have one. Not with accepting it

Found it. Wasn't the data commissioner.

"However, under the 2005 Social Protection Act, the legislation most frequently cited by the State as forming a legal basis for the controversial PSC, any enterprise seeking to request the card as a form of identification which is not on a list of specified bodies is committing an offence, with a penalty upon indictment of €13,000 or three years in prison, or both."
    (https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-ordered-not-to-use-psc-for-vetting-961152.html)

It relates to Gardai allowing people to produce a psc card as id for vetting. I can't see any mention of banks in the list of specified bodies so I would think it applies to them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

boycott any place that doesnt take cash

dennispenn wrote: »

It seems petty considering there is a valid reason for shops to currently not want their staff to handle cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

No.

Great idea.

You go find a shop accepting cash and pay whatever they are charging while sensible, reasonable people spend less time waiting outside for the large, cheaper location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

They're the numbers from 9 years ago, I'd imagine since the introduction of the public service card and services like revolut that number has dropped a lot.

SteM wrote: »
    They're the numbers from 9 years ago, I'd imagine since the introduction of the public service card and services like revolut that number has dropped a lot.

How has Revolut changed anything when you need a bank account to have a card ?

It seems petty considering there is a valid reason for shops to currently not want their staff to handle cash.

Is there ? The WHO said the risk was negligible. Supermarkets take cash & they have had extremely low levels of Covid. B&Q are the only store, that I have heard of, who aren't taking cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there ? The WHO said the risk was negligible. Supermarkets take cash & they have had extremely low levels of Covid. B&Q are the only store, that I have heard of, who aren't taking cash.

O'Brien's off licences
    Insomnia cafes

Just two I used yesterday.

IKEA, McDonalds also

Very few food service places are taking cash at all.

Advertisement