Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Discodog wrote: »
    Is there ? The WHO said the risk was negligible. Supermarkets take cash & they have had extremely low levels of Covid. B&Q are the only store, that I have heard of, who aren't taking cash.

Personally I always carried cash and would have rarely used my card, and though I don’t do a lot of shopping myself, all the shops I have been to have been card only, coffee shops, Homebase, paint shop, Currys (I think) etc. I’m not saying it is right to refuse cash, but I understand why they are doing it and to be honest, as long as they advertise it at entry, I don’t know why it’s a big deal to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The fact of the matter is that the Euro is the only legal tender. Everything card and transfer is just virtual and basically trust based.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The fact of the matter is that the Euro is the only legal tender. Everything card and transfer is just virtual and basically trust based.

And the other fact of the matter is that legal tender doesn't apply here. Additonally, the Euro is a fiat currency which means it is entirely trust based.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Dav010 wrote: »

There's no mention of a PSC on that page. PSCs are not allowed to be used as anything other than proof of PPS number

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Nozebleed wrote:
    im sure they can request a preferred method of payment but the cant refuse legal tender.

Don't believe ill-informed advice like this. They can request payment in any form they want, unless it's in settlement of a debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How has Revolut changed anything when you need a bank account to have a card ?

I don't recall needing a bank account to set up a revolut account?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

McGaggs wrote: »
    I don't recall needing a bank account to set up a revolut account?

I set up a revolut account lately and I had to use passport for identification, selfie and use another card/ bank account to lodge money to open it

Slava Ukrainii

McGaggs wrote: »
    There's no mention of a PSC on that page. PSCs are not allowed to be used as anything other than proof of PPS number

Apologies, I googled National Identity Card Ireland and was directed to PSC. I assumed they were equivalent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SteM wrote: »
    They're the numbers from 9 years ago, I'd imagine since the introduction of the public service card and services like revolut that number has dropped a lot.

That depends,
    If the people without bank accounts are 50/60 plus then likely very little has changed. The likes of revolut means nothing to many 60 plus.

My dad for example woulodn't have a clue what it is, he's never had to use an ATM. Just because revolut is being used a lot by people below 25 doesn't mean everyone is using it,.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Cabaal wrote: »
    That depends,
    If the people without bank accounts are 50/60 plus then likely very little has changed. The likes of revolut means nothing to many 60 plus.

My dad for example woulodn't have a clue what it is, he's never had to use an ATM. Just because revolut is being used a lot by people below 25 doesn't mean everyone is using it,.

Horses for courses. My 69 year old mum opened a revolt ac a few weeks ago, her card just arrived. 50 years olds now are not the luddites they were in previous generations.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    Horses for courses. My 69 year old mum opened a revolt ac a few weeks ago, her card just arrived. 50 years olds now are not the luddites they were in previous generations.

83 year old Dad uses his Apple iPhone to pay and sits watching TV with his iPad on his lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We've reached the point now where people in their 70s are of the generation that grew computing from something obscure (the pioneering generation are now in their 80s or older) to mainstream; its absolutely not possible to make an assumption that old = incompetent with tech.

My mother is completely incompetent with anything she sees as "modern", but she was incompetent with "modernity" when she was 30 and Ireland got ATMs; which she still hates using. Credit cards / contactless don't phase her at all though.

Boards is over 20 years old; the massive increase in internet use in Ireland happened in the late 1990s. Someone in their 40s then is in their 60s now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

L1011 wrote: »
    We've reached the point now where people in their 70s are of the generation that grew computing from something obscure (the pioneering generation are now in their 80s or older) to mainstream; its absolutely not possible to make an assumption that old = incompetent with tech.

My mother is completely incompetent with anything she sees as "modern", but she was incompetent with "modernity" when she was 30 and Ireland got ATMs; which she still hates using. Credit cards / contactless don't phase her at all though.

Boards is over 20 years old; the massive increase in internet use in Ireland happened in the late 1990s. Someone in their 40s then is in their 60s now.

This. There are plenty of access courses but both my 80+ parents would be lost without iPad's, iPhones and the services they use whether booking green times or playing bridge with virtual friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Over 100,000 people don't have bank accounts. I personally know of someone who wants a bank account but can't open one as they don't have a driver's license or passport. Insisting on card payment may be legal but it's clearly discriminatory.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/100000-adults-in-ireland-have-no-bank-account-161470.html

Old data. And since then the government in conjunction with the banks/AnPost have brought out no-cost "basic" bank accounts for the unbanked which don't have quarterly or transaction fees.
    https://www.anpost.com/Money/Current-Account
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/basic-bank-account/features-benefits/

I'm not sure why you need to make things up to advance your argument. It has never been the case that you need a drivers license or passport to get a bank account. Your friend can go to his/her local post office account on Monday and open an account. It is absolutely not discriminatory and every effort has been made to enable the unbanked to become banked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

micosoft wrote: »
    Old data. And since then the government in conjunction with the banks/AnPost have brought out no-cost "basic" bank accounts for the unbanked which don't have quarterly or transaction fees.
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/basic-bank-account/features-benefits/

I'm not sure why you need to make things up to advance your argument. It has never been the case that you need a drivers license or passport to get a bank account. Your friend can go to his/her local post office account on Monday and open an account. It is absolutely not discriminatory and every effort has been made to enable the unbanked to become banked.

I didn't make it up but you probably knew that.

From the AnPost website:

Proof-of-name documents include:

Your passport

An EU driving licence

A public service card

If you use a public service card, you will also need to provide proof of your date of birth such as a birth certificate.

https://www.anpost.com/Money/Current-Account/How-to-Open-an-Account

This. There are plenty of access courses but both my 80+ parents would be lost without iPad's, iPhones and the services they use whether booking green times or playing bridge with virtual friends.

I could walk a few hundred yards & find elderly people who have never touched a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I could walk a few hundred yards & find elderly people who have never touched a computer.

You could consider showing these people how straightforward they are and how they can vastly improve their life.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You could consider showing these people how straightforward they are and how they can vastly improve their life.

Some want to know & even have taken courses. But the majority aren't interested & can't see why they should be forced to. I once helped an elderly couple buy two smartphones & spent hours showing them how to use them, as did their families. They gave the phones away 3 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Since we reopened our retail shop the cash take is a fraction of what it was. Wether that is down to so many receiving a pandemic payment into their accounts or the attitude towards it is changing even more I'm not sure.
    10 years ago when we first opened the ratio of cash to card was about 80:20 it's reversed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Seen a good few small businesses that are reopening next week put up Cash only notices on Facebook and other social media platforms to warn their customers to have cash on them.

Plenty of unresolved banking issues for small businesses out there i think , that we havent even started to see light of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seen a good few small businesses that are reopening next week put up Cash only notices on Facebook and other social media platforms to warn their customers to have cash on them.

Plenty of unresolved banking issues for small businesses out there i think , that we havent even started to see light of yet.

Only taking cash? That's bizarre. There is absolutely no reason to not have the facility to take card payment today. You no longer even need a phone line or merchant account with a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Loads of small business take cash only. It’s a tax swindle

It is cheaper for businesses to deal with cards than cash

So the only reason for cash only is to keep it off the books.

And anyone who says otherwise is lying. Allowing cash and card is the norm now and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rob316 wrote: »
    Only taking cash? That's bizarre. There is absolutely no reason to not have the facility to take card payment today. You no longer even need a phone line or merchant account with a bank.
    As Dodge alludes to , i would imagine that alot of smaller casual businesses will work on this basis for awhile .

No.1 To dodge some tax and try and recoup some of their losses . Some of the staff may of been on a covid payment and they will bring them back but try to keep them on the payment.
    No.2 Who knows the state of their bank accounts , they are probably cleared out and if anything goes into them it will be gone straight back out.

However I would note that these are businesses that previously took card .

As Dodge alludes to , i would imagine that alot of smaller casual businesses will work on this basis for awhile .

No.1 To dodge some tax and try and recoup some of their losses . Some of the staff may of been on a covid payment and they will bring them back but try to keep them on the payment.
    No.2 Who knows the state of their bank accounts , they are probably cleared out and if anything goes into them it will be gone straight back out.

However I would note that these are businesses that previously took card .

I was talking with a friend who sells garden machinery. He can't advertise it but he would happily take cash & give a generous discount for cash payment. He needs working capital & he's at the end of his overdraft. Anything payed onto his account will be taken for the overdraft.

There must be lots of businesses in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dodge wrote: »
    Loads of small business take cash only. It’s a tax swindle

It is cheaper for businesses to deal with cards than cash

So the only reason for cash only is to keep it off the books.

And anyone who says otherwise is lying. Allowing cash and card is the norm now and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future

This thread has gone way off topic. Btw, B&Q started taking cash a few days after reopening.

As for above, revenue have phenomenal insights into business and will know what should be taken in.

The idea for cash is most likely to ensure it is not swallowed up by any unauthorized overdraft they have and the cash can be used to pay suppliers.

Some may take advantage for less than honest reasons, just like there are some less than legitimate claims for the covid payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think most people who would not have bank account now possibly personally known in post office and this likely suffice.
    I sometimes see on PO receipts that i personally known so this may be an option for individual transactions.
    The only place i really use cash is in the pub and they are all closed..

I think most people who would not have bank account now possibly personally known in post office and this likely suffice.
    I sometimes see on PO receipts that i personally known so this may be an option for individual transactions.
    The only place i really use cash is in the pub and they are all closed..

It doesn't. Our Postmistress has known my friend for donkey's years & she still has to comply with regulations.

It doesn't. Our Postmistress has known my friend for donkey's years & she still has to comply with regulations.

If your friend wanted a bank account, he/she could open one. It isn’t difficult to apply for a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I honestly do not know but i think the regulation is utility bill + ID.
    Say someone on benefit or pension sure all the info already on PO system.
    Why need a license if not driving, or passport if not friend of MOL..

I know its the rule for me as i have to prove i am alive every 2 years...

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    If your friend wanted a bank account, he/she could open one. It isn’t difficult to apply for a passport.

Why should someone have to pay for a passport that they will not use?

Advertisement