Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Sonics2k wrote: »
    B&Q is prioritizing the health and safety of it's staff. And I believe all the stores have quite a few signs up saying "Card payments/Contactless only", or at least the two stores I visited do.

I imagine the OP didn't bother to read the signs.

jaysis lads..sorry for breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

My drug dealer hates when I pay by card!

micosoft wrote: »
    Common misconception. They cannot refuse legal tender for a Debt.

They can of course refuse to sell you something before the debt is incurred.

Unless OP was buying on credit he can't force them to accept any means of payment. They can they only accept sea shells if they feel like it. Well within their rights.

technically!!! no bare with me...i had handed the items over to the cashier. they were scanned and processed...so!!! would it be fair to say im debt at that stage of the process!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nozebleed wrote: »
    technically!!! no bare with me...i had handed the items over to the cashier. they were scanned and processed...so!!! would it be fair to say im debt at that stage of the process!!?

Nope. Absolutely not. Store still owns the items til they are paid or otherwise handed over via means of a credit agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No. The items are not yours until you have paid for them (unlike an eaten meal for example, where the food has already been consumed).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

well..thanks for the replie folks, hope you all prepare yourselves for the fees and maintenace charges that are coming down the line.

well..thanks for the replie folks, hope you all prepare yourselves for the fees and maintenace charges that are coming down the line.

Costs me 0c to use my credit card and its unlikely it ever will

Costs me something like 30c to take cash out...

thats all gona change...aib postponed their charges just before the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

L1011 wrote: »
    And "OUR way" now appears to be near total use of cards with multiple shops completely refusing to accept cash.

Sweden has physical currency, but nobody uses it. Most shops don't take it, most banks don't have any, ATM networks are getting switched off. Some single banks here have more ATMs than are left on the main interbank network in Sweden. They were down to 13% of transactions (by number, 6% by value, further down the report) in 2018 and the decline since then has basically been terminal.

That some people appear to have an emotional connection to physical cash won't make it come back.

Till the point arises that cash/paper/coins completely vanish from use, and are no longer 'manufactured' for use, means that people will, and do use it, both here... and in Sweden.
    Regardless of any 'emotional' attachment. The only time I get 'emotional' as regards money, is when I don't have any.

Getting back to the OP's point, I called over to B&Q near where I live on the day it re-opened, and I noticed the 'airport style' way they had of lining up queues, I also noticed the staff outside organising the queue, and the many signs they had indication 'payment by card only, no cash'.
    As fond of cash as I am, I had my card ready the next time I called.

swarlb wrote: »
    Till the point arises that cash/paper/coins completely vanish from use, and are no longer 'manufactured' for use, means that people will, and do use it, both here... and in Sweden.

People still used analogue mobile phones until the day the network was switched off. Didn't stop it being dead technology.

Most retailers that are not accepting cash now will never do so again. Once you've stopped dealing with cash handling costs etc you don't want to start it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Queued for an hour to get into Halfords in Tallaght over the weekend and the security guy for the B&Q beside it told everyone who joined their queue that it was card only. You could see the type of person not listening to him (or the signs every 2m!) would be the same type to kick up a fuss about their entitlements when they eventually try to pay cash.

My mother recently received her pension and gets it paid into her credit union account, credit union has a debit card which she uses. Far safer than carrying or leaving cash in the house. I also got her a revolut card so she can pay on her phone for small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

People still used analogue mobile phones until the day the network was switched off. Didn't stop it being dead technology.

Most retailers that are not accepting cash now will never do so again. Once you've stopped dealing with cash handling costs etc you don't want to start it again.

I've been in business since the 70's, several of my transactions over the past weeks have been in cash, some via PayPal, some by card etc. I will continue to use all options till as such point as I cannot.
    Funny you should mention 'analogue mobile phone' as I actually sold an old 'mars bar' Sony, complete with car kit, recently .... for cash !!
    And I have an old Bakelite dial telephone hooked up in my home, and it works fine utilizing some 'modern tech' as the young people like to call it.

Cash is still very much alive, maybe you just move in different circles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Costs me 0c to use my credit card and its unlikely it ever will

Only because the Government gets €30 every year

Pulse dialling will be disabled at some stage when openeir can be bothered doing it - you'd better get a convertor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Take the thing and leave. They can hardly call the Gardai or detain you in the shop when you are willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

B and Q are saving loads on handling cash, transaction fees, security vans for transporting cash. They also have lower insurance as less or no cash in the store.

Cash is still legal tender. I still use cash. I hate using cards it is hard to keep track of spending. I don’t log onto my phone to check my account like some people would.

Banks want you to use cards as they make money on this also. They pay less insurance In the cashless branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah I know they can do what they like, just I think it's ridiculous.

Why though? If youre selling something, why should you be forced to accept anything other than what you want to accept?

You cant turn up to buy and car off someone and make them accept a cheque.

SPDUB wrote: »
    Only because the Government gets €30 every year

Transaction fees on debit cards are the banks doing, over the 2.50 annual limit the state takes.

Cash out twice a week would have me at 30 quid anyway, rather ignoring the fact there's always been plenty of stuff you can't pay cash for anyway.

Take the thing and leave. They can hardly call the Gardai or detain you in the shop when you are willing to pay for it.

They can, they will, and you'll be arrested.

Suggesting criminal activity is against very basic boards.ie rules

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is the sort of ridiculous rubbish that people in retail have to deal with. People who havnt a clue what they are talking about, dont know their rights, but are convinced they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Because there are a substantial minority of people who don't have bank accounts.

Some have credit union accounts, and some credit unions offer debit cards.

But there are still a good number of cashbook people.

They are why the supermarkets, at least, prefer cards but will take cash.

Also, there are some transactions where the retailer makes almost nothing if you pay by card, eg leap topup.

OP fyi, Woodies are doing the same.

Im all for keeping cash as one main option/means of payment, under current circumstances Im doing mainly card transactions.
    However, how anyone can not operate a bank account?? is beyond me.
    While I have a credit union and Id consider them large enough, I only think they offer debit cards, I just wouldnt need one from them, the Post office now offer a debit card, heard it advertised recently, but just wouldnt think it would suit me, but definitely sounds like an option for some.
    I can see the cost rationalisation for some people thinking removing all their cash on one go might seem to make sense, and I think its better to withdraw cash in a largish amount rather than dribs and drabs, security might be an issue for some people by that method, would have thought a debit card with an post would make sense for anyone doing a transaction like pension etc anyway.

FluffPiece wrote: »
    A lot of people tend to ignore signage on entry to shops. Chances are there was a sign on the way in. Most large chains that implement these policies to local stores, usually mandate signage be put up also for customer notification.

Recently at B&Q, I think there were signs up, what you couldnt miss was them announcing it to everyone in the queue, card transactions only.

For those who say cash is dead what will ye do when ye get to when yeget to a shop and card machine isnt working. Happened me in a chemist last sat. They asked me for cash. Also i was at a wedding a few years back and there was a nationwide system failure in the visa network. A lot of people got caught with no cash on them

I think its best to keep a few options available for this very reason, even different cards/card types.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

swarlb wrote: »
    I wish people would stop doing this... we are NOT Sweden, or any other country for that matter, we are who we are, Irish. And we have OUR ways of doing things, OUR way, not Sweden's.....
    Some, if not plenty of people here use cash, and cards, and even cheques.

As an aside, I've never been to Sweden. Do they have no form of currency whatsoever apart from plastics cards ? Because if they do have a currency, then cash is not DEAD in Sweden, just like in Ireland, someone must use it.
    Was there in February, the first time in a few years. Had heard all the talk about how almost completely cashless it had become over that period but was still pretty taken aback to see how true that was in the flesh, so to speak.

Whilst there, I never had the slightest urge to use an ATM. Little did I know that just a few weeks later I'd find myself completely cutting out the use of cash in Ireland! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Even if they call the Gardai, they can’t arrest you if they aren’t wearing their hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

1874 wrote: »
    Im all for keeping cash as one main option/means of payment, under current circumstances Im doing mainly card transactions.
    However, how anyone can not operate a bank account?? is beyond me.

My neighbour is in his late 70's and has never had a bank account. During his working life he recalled how depending on his employer, he either got a cash envelope or a cheque that would go behind the bar in the local pub and he'd get the balance at the end of the Friday night!

If he ever needs to buy anything "on the internet" he gets his nephew to do it and gives him the cash. Prior to CoVid he would head to the post office on Friday for his pension and get it in cash. He wouldn't know what to do with a card at an ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What a stupid comment. Get the cuffs ready. The item is not yours until payment is ACCEPTED.

McDonalds in Tallaght is only accepting cards and the bill must be under 30 euro. They have completely minimised personal contact and for a bloody good reason.

And do you think there are no costs associated with using cash?

Several Irish banks have current accounts that are either free or have a fixed monthly charge. Then you have all the fintechs that have free offerings too.

And as has already been mentioned, credit cards are generally free of charges (apart from €30 yearly stamp duty) once paid off in full every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

That odd . My local b&q have large signs every few feet outside stating no cash.....Cards only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hoggy1983

People might actually have to start paying the right amount of tax on their earnings.

Pulse dialling will be disabled at some stage when openeir can be bothered doing it - you'd better get a convertor
    Pulse dialing on my exchange was disabled years ago! :eek:

(I only know because I held onto an old rotary phone for aesthetic reasons.)

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Pulse dialing on my exchange was disabled years ago! :eek:

(I only know because I held onto an old rotary phone for aesthetic reasons.)

I've a feeling it goes if you get VDSL but should currently still work in most places on dedicated lines / old fashioned ADSL. The poster I know who'd know has been offline for a while! Could be even closer to dead than I thought though.

You can get adapters anyway, cheap.

Advertisement