Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

tvjunki wrote: »
    B and Q are saving loads on handling cash, transaction fees, security vans for transporting cash. They also have lower insurance as less or no cash in the store.

Cash is still legal tender. I still use cash. I hate using cards it is hard to keep track of spending. I don’t log onto my phone to check my account like some people would.

Banks want you to use cards as they make money on this also. They pay less insurance In the cashless branches.

While I prefer having some cash, its easy to keep track of spending if you want in terms of the records being available, its just easy to go through a lot of money by just tap tap tapping, so I think you mean its more difficult to manage spending as you dont see it drain away.
    B&Q and many places may save a fortune on cash use/handling costs but there is a certain consistency with reducing person to person contact in physical handling.

My neighbour is in his late 70's and has never had a bank account. During his working life he recalled how depending on his employer, he either got a cash envelope or a cheque that would go behind the bar in the local pub and he'd get the balance at the end of the Friday night!

If he ever needs to buy anything "on the internet" he gets his nephew to do it and gives him the cash. Prior to CoVid he would head to the post office on Friday for his pension and get it in cash. He wouldn't know what to do with a card at an ATM.

ATMs have been in Ireland since 1980 ( I just looked it up), my recollection seeing them was definitely by 1985, thats 35 years ago, while it might have been possible for many to be in that situation then, there was still the possibility for someone then to get a bank account (likely with more ease then than now) and have become familiar with an ATM card, its not like cards just came out and he is too old to change now. I understand and Im all for retaining cash, only the cost of writing a cheque made me reluctant to use them, but there are easy convenient alternatives.
    That person sounds like a prime candidate for an An Post debit card, sounds like a lot of reliance on other people to do their cash transactions is based on stubborn refusal to change, I think the option should be offered (Surprised An Post arent marketing to anyone receiving a Pension already to get it electronically onto a card, part for any benefits it brings but also to reduce their own costs in cash handling), at the least they should be encouraging it for new entrants to receiving Pensions, although I assume they dont force those in receipt to turn up at the reduced number ofpost offices to physically collectand that electronic transfers are presumably already an option to a persons existing bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For those who say cash is dead what will ye do when ye get to when ye get to a shop and card machine isn't working. Happened me in a chemist last Sat. They asked me for cash. Also, I was at a wedding a few years back and there was a nationwide system failure in the visa network. A lot of people got caught with no cash on them

Unless it's the only faulty card machine in a shop, which is not likely for a shop with multiple tills; the shop can choose to accept offline transactions. They accept liability for it, but if you are using your pin then you become liable when your bank eventually processes it.

The OH had her Revolut charged fraudulently by someone she trusted with her pin. It was accepted, even though there weren't the funds in the account, as it was processed offline ( in this case by a hotel that used the card for authorization without funds for pre-auth, and then registered the charge after).

So go to a chemist that is more helpful, after all, what will you do if you haven't cash on you or can't find a working ATM nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

1874 wrote: »
    However, how anyone can not operate a bank account?? is beyond me.

Try opening an account nowdays if you don't drive or go abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

1874 wrote: »
    While I prefer having some cash, its easy to keep track of spending if you want in terms of the records being available, its just easy to go through a lot of money by just tap tap tapping, so I think you mean its more difficult to manage spending as you dont see it drain away.
    B&Q and many places may save a fortune on cash use/handling costs but there is a certain consistency with reducing person to person contact in physical handling.

ATMs have been in Ireland since 1980 ( I just looked it up), my recollection seeing them was definitely by 1985, thats 35 years ago, while it might have been possible for many to be in that situation then, there was still the possibility for someone then to get a bank account (likely with more ease then than now) and have become familiar with an ATM card, its not like cards just came out and he is too old to change now. I understand and Im all for retaining cash, only the cost of writing a cheque made me reluctant to use them, but there are easy convenient alternatives.
    That person sounds like a prime candidate for an An Post debit card, sounds like a lot of reliance on other people to do their cash transactions is based on stubborn refusal to change, I think the option should be offered (Surprised An Post arent marketing to anyone receiving a Pension already to get it electronically onto a card, part for any benefits it brings but also to reduce their own costs in cash handling), at the least they should be encouraging it for new entrants to receiving Pensions, although I assume they dont force those in receipt to turn up at the reduced number ofpost offices to physically collectand that electronic transfers are presumably already an option to a persons existing bank account.

Stubborn isn't the word. He's the stereotypical batchelor rural Irishman, loves a drink, putting a bet on the horses and reading the newspaper. He doesn't need a debit card to do that. He just goes up to the shops and uses cash.

I remember going to the "pass machine" at the AIB in O'Connell St as a kid, sometime in the 80's. From memory it was quite high up, over a big granite wall. It was only a few years later that I opened my own bank a/c at 14 and got my own pass card. But I also recall my best friends dad who was going over to "USA 94" and had his own business for 25 years, had to apply for a credit card when he was in his 50s. If you're in a routine and you've no need for cards, it's harder than you think to make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

SPDUB wrote: »
    Try opening an account nowdays if you don't drive or go abroad

I agree, I did already point that out that it was likely easier to open an account years ago, when ATMs were introduced first and even since, that said, I think similar requirements exist for any new or even existing accounts, ie Credit Union, PO account and any card associated with them, I believe its a legal requirement to be able to prove who you are for having/opening/operating an account for reasonable purposes, so no one is getting away with it, that said, not having a passport ready to go is similarly confounding to me, at the least its an important item of ID which doesnt have your address, and Id prefer that than potential alternatives. I can see why someone wouldnt have a drivers licence if they dont drive, although I couldnt manage to not be able to drive as I find it less hassle, time consuming and costly than the alternative and thats despite the cost of ownign and operating a car. The latter really depends on an individuals needs, but I know I have been requested a number of times to update my personal information by credit institutions and reminded of the legal requirement even though I had already provided them when applying for a CC and having the card account for around 20 years.
    Im not always in agreement with certain changes, some I might oppose. I was and still am fairly against the removal of the option of cheques, but I dont write them now myself as they jacked up the cost and there are alternatives, I suppose they are not as secure, take time and cost to process transactions, but I can see why some people would still use them for valid reasons, that said, you still need a bank account to utilise one from, not having an account of some description and not having certain ID accessible in this day and age is simply an essential requirement, its not like we are getting a barcode tatoo'd across our foreheads or chipped, its a fairly reasonable thing to have ID and a bank account.

As for paying by Card, I still prefer to have cash accessible an to use it, recently more of my transactions are by card, but I think something needs to be done about charges and Govt taxes on transactions if they want to encourage it more, as there is a saving in handling costs, even if there are other costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

A quick aside -
    I hope cash never goes away. Without it, governments and banks are free to start charging negative interest rates on deposits - to stimulate economic activity etc. As long as cash exists, we are safe from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Ardent wrote: »
    A quick aside -
    I hope cash never goes away. Without it, governments and banks are free to start charging negative interest rates on deposits - to stimulate economic activity etc. As long as cash exists, we are safe from that.

Umm we've been in a negative interest rate environment for a while, maybe not retail customers but certainly corporates.

The lack of physical notes and coins would not prevent it from happening if the powers at be really wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A quick aside -
    I hope cash never goes away. Without it, governments and banks are free to start charging negative interest rates on deposits...

Negative interest rates came about as a result of 'quantitative easing' or 'bond buying' whereby central banks flood the market with cheap money.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the use of cash by consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

The only scenario where you'd have a right to pay with cash is where a debt is owed and needs to be settled, beyond that in a normal retail transaction, they can use any form of payment they like.

Ireland has relatively few 'unbanked' people - 95% of people over 15 have a bank account and almost every bank account has some kind of debit card available in this day and age, so the arguments for cash are a lot weaker than they were.

You would still, in any economy, create an issue for a very small % of the population who have no access to accounts, and in an Irish context we have fewer people in that situation than most of the OECD, but you'd still get a few odd cases, and I would suspect especially amongst people who have no fixed address or can't get access to financial services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Anyone that uses filthy cash during a pandemic is being inconsiderate of retail workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Anyone that uses filthy cash during a pandemic is being inconsiderate of retail workers.

The best bakery in my town only accepts cash. So do the best sour dough bread crowd in farmers market. Are they inconsiderate of their customers? They are both sold out by 10.30 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

All my cash is laundered regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

A quick aside -

I think people probably lose more in lost coins than they would be charged in interest. That being said I think there is space for both. I like anonymity cash affords. Not just for paying ex vat, I like the idea that not every of your transactions is recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I was at my local B&Q this morning..where i queued for 20 mins to get in and then a further 20 mins to pay for my stuff only to be told the no longer take cash transaction in accordance with government guidelines. I was shocked..told the woman i have only cash..i was then asked by the staff member do i know someone with a back card who could pay for the items in question..but she new by the face on me..not to ask anymore questions.

is this legal practice on the part of B&Q?

I am of the opinion that under normal circumstances this be illegal.
    "Cash is King"
    I think retail has absolutely no descreation in this area and must accept legal tender.

However these are unusual times and if its a Government guideline you likely cannot complain.
    If it were me i would send a nice email to Consumer people just to see what kindof reply would come.
    Strictly speaking i think they are breaking the law, that's unless tnhe law was changed in recent weeks which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

I like cash. I use cards but I like to use cash sometimes too and to hold a bit of cash. I understand the rationale for the preference for cards at the moment though I don't necessarily agree with it however I don't want a society where I can't physically hold my money if I choose. Why should citizens be obliged to keep their money in a 3rd party institution in order to pay for basics?
    Think about that for a bit.

There are a lot more potential implications to a physical cashless society than the ease of cards or physical money being considered unhygienic or inconvenient. And for criminals, a cashless society doesn't mean no crime. In my view, there are often very sound reasons behind what may seem old fashioned. If you get rid of cash, you can't take your own money out of the bank ever as it doesn't physically exist. That's not scaremongering, doomsday paranoia - can we really trust the banks based on experience over many crises and don't mention our various governments.
    And just because something is seemingly easier doesn't make it better for all consumers/citizens.
    Just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

"Cash is King"
    I think retail has absolutely no descreation in this area and must accept legal tender.

As has been stated many times already, with exact reasons stated, your opinion is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Cash is King"

However these are unusual times and if its a Government guideline you likely cannot complain.
    If it were me i would send a nice email to Consumer people just to see what kindof reply would come.
    Strictly speaking i think they are breaking the law, that's unless tnhe law was changed in recent weeks which is unlikely.

You think wrong, as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread.

L1011 wrote: »
    You think wrong, as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread.

Well i am of the opinion that retailer cannot refuse "legal tender"
    I am pretty sure on this.

Was the law changed recently??

This is just a thread as you say...

Read the thread. You're totally wrong

L1011 wrote: »
    Read the thread. You're totally wrong

I have no intention, your very arrogant...

• Advertisement

You are the one displaying arrogance, by refusing to read the thread when the answer has been given many times already; and ignorance by restating your misinformed belief as if that gives it legitimacy.

You're wrong, the reason why was given within a few posts on the first page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I was at my local B&Q this morning..where i queued for 20 mins to get in and then a further 20 mins to pay for my stuff only to be told the no longer take cash transaction in accordance with government guidelines. I was shocked..told the woman i have only cash..i was then asked by the staff member do i know someone with a back card who could pay for the items in question..but she new by the face on me..not to ask anymore questions.

is this legal practice on the part of B&Q?

Woodies did this to a man that Queued for 2 hours and all he needed was paint for the back garden but only deadly in cash. If I was anyone close buy I would of paid on my card for him ffs of if it was me I would of walked out the door and left the money on the till, no signage outside to indicate the payment of choice. Stores need to be equipped for these scenarios and put up signage to day No Cash Transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Says the fella sprouting an incorrect opinion as fact, and trying to be clever saying "was there a law change recently" when someone tells him he is incorrect, despite it being shown to be incorrect in this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

The Canadian notes are plastic and can actually be washed or sprayed, maybe we should be changing to something like that for next issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

phormium wrote: »
    The Canadian notes are plastic and can actually be washed or sprayed, maybe we should be changing to something like that for next issues.

Same with Australia, designed to bring your money swimming with you. It would be handier. Gangsters wouldn’t have to wash their dirty money anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You keep saying its your opinion. You need to learn to tell the difference between opinion and fact. Having an opinion doesn't make it fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Woodies did this to a man that Queued for 2 hours and all he needed was paint for the back garden but only deadly in cash. If I was anyone close buy I would of paid on my card for him ffs of if it was me I would of walked out the door and left the money on the till, no signage outside to indicate the payment of choice. Stores need to be equipped for these scenarios and put up signage to day No Cash Transactions.

Woodies are accepting cash, it’s been stated on this thread by people who have shopped there, using cash.

I’m going to believe what they say over what you say happened to “a man”.

My local fruit and veg man ONLY accepts cash - no cards !! Even now !
    I don’t know how he’s still in business but he does a roaring trade .

What are all the private consultants going to do now for their €200 fees - to be paid “in cash only “ to their secretaries ? I’m delighted about this , those fees were going directly into their back pockets tax free !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm of the opinion that retailers must give me anything I want for free, and if they don't I'm legally allowed to pee in a garda's hat. My opinion on this is crap though, and has no relation to actual facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If buskers can have card machines, there really isnt an excuse for a business at this stage.

Advertisement