Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Darc19 wrote: »

A family member is a retailer. She does not like cash due to the cost and inconvenience.

Would he/she refuse to accept cash at any other time though? I prefer card payments, but as a business, we would not refuse a paying customer who prefers cash over card.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I havnt used cash to pay for a take away in about a year. chippers, pizza places etc all do cards . If Im getting it delivered its paid online.

I havnt used an atm this year.

In my local town
    3 chippers don't take card and 2 does.
    1 Chinese doesn't take card and the 1 does but they don't like using it I found it the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’ve noticed a lot of smaller retailers who didn’t take cards before now all of a sudden have card machines and have taken to them quite well.

I think you’ll definitely see cash becoming less used but I doubt it will vanish.

I was up in Iceland last year and they really don’t use cash at all, largely because it’s impractical to bank cash when you’re very, very far from a bank.

It makes a lot of sense in rural areas.

Also the point brought up about older people is more about familiarity with tech. I’ve relatives in their mid 80s who moved to electronic pension payments and have taken to debit cards and even Apple Pay like a duck to water.

It means no need to trudge to a post office and a lot more autonomy and safety.

Carrying around large volumes of cash just isn’t a great idea.

Also the point brought up about older people is more about familiarity with tech. I’ve relatives in their mid 80s who moved to electronic pension payments and have taken to debit cards and even Apple Pay like a duck to water.

It means no need to trudge to a post office and a lot more autonomy and safety.

I think when you've a relatives who is some way tech savey you should be fine with getting them to use cards.
    However some people just can't wrap their heads around it all.
    I think there's also a big social element with going to the post office for some every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

It always seems a bit sad to me that queuing at the Post Office here is seen as a key rural social venue. Surely our older folks should have some better social opportunities?

Really says a lot that we don’t have something more sociable than that.

• Advertisement

It always seems a bit sad to me that queuing at the Post Office here is seen as a key rural social venue. Surely our older folks should have some better social opportunities?

Really says a lot that we don’t have something more sociable than that.

I think it's one of the things they see as a social interaction.
    It's the middle or early in the day and it's to late for social dancing or bingo or what ever activity they might want.
    The only other things that are on are stuff in day centers, etc and they'd be offended if you'd suggest going to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

charlie14 wrote: »
    If a business does not want my cash I would take it they did not want my custom and go somewhere that appreciated it the custom.

The retail store I’m currently working in along with all our competitors on the street (who make up the entire Irish industry) would happily turn away your cash. Nobody wants to deal with the cash and I fully expect it will be become the norm for us. For our industry, we don’t want the to deal with the type of people who pay with cash. Generally, they don’t result in repeat business and present the biggest problems in terms of product issues later on but that’s a different conversation.

That being said, I had a lady in the other day who’s card was declined and I accepted her cash. Sure it presented me with a risk and resulted in more work at the end of the day for me but at least she understood the risk, tried to avoid it and was very thankful of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Here is the real nub of the matter. If I go into my local BnQ and head for the paint counter. I get them to mix 40 litres of masonry paint in am obscure colour, I also get them to mix another 50 litres of mat silk in 2-3 dark colours,as well as mixing 10-15 litres of satinwood in s colour of my choice. After that I arrive over at the wood cutting service and get them to cut 10 sheets of 8X4 ply into 1 inch squares.

Now when I arrive to pay at the till and hand them part of the dirty wad I have in the sole of my sock will they refuse it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll likely still refuse to let you have the items on the basis that you ignored the huge amount of signage

They'd also have realised you were taking the piss a lot earlier than the till. Or you'd have been directed to get a trade account based on the volume, with its own payment terms that are not handled at the consumer tills

Maybe try a realistic scenario next time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,980 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Anyone that uses filthy cash during a pandemic is being inconsiderate of retail workers.

Your post reminded me of this sign, which I took a pic of in a Galway city-fringe (Terryland) pharmacy last weekend.

For those having difficulty reading, it says

"Due to Covid-19 we cannot accept money taken from anywhere other than your purse, wallet or pocket"

515524.PNG

Make of it what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Here is the real nub of the matter. If I go into my local BnQ and head for the paint counter. I get them to mix 40 litres of masonry paint in am obscure colour, I also get them to mix another 50 litres of mat silk in 2-3 dark colours,as well as mixing 10-15 litres of satinwood in s colour of my choice. After that I arrive over at the wood cutting service and get them to cut 10 sheets of 8X4 ply into 1 inch squares.

Now when I arrive to pay at the till and hand them part of the dirty wad I have in the sole of my sock will they refuse it.

Maybe, Maybe not.

What is not in question is that anyone who would do that knowing they have a no cash policy in place is an utter prick, especially as the people you would be purposely creating conflict with would be low wage employees with no control over the policy you are raging against.

For anybody who wants to use cash you might be better off sticking to your local paint shop or co-op/builders providers.
    My local co-op would sell paint, fuel, farm suppliers, building supplies, homeware and would generally be busy.
    They'd normally have four tills on the go and wait for it one card machine between them.

noa2020 wrote: »
    The retail store I’m currently working in along with all our competitors on the street (who make up the entire Irish industry) would happily turn away your cash. Nobody wants to deal with the cash and I fully expect it will be become the norm for us. For our industry, we don’t want the to deal with the type of people who pay with cash. Generally, they don’t result in repeat business and present the biggest problems in terms of product issues later on but that’s a different conversation.

That being said, I had a lady in the other day who’s card was declined and I accepted her cash. Sure it presented me with a risk and resulted in more work at the end of the day for me but at least she understood the risk, tried to avoid it and was very thankful of it.

Retailers don’t happily turn away customers, not in good times, especially not in bad times. Go ask the owners of the store you work in, they will confirm that.

It is understandable that cash is not being accepted at the moment, people are averse to touching anything an unclean hand might have touched, at the moment. Many also haven’t been out much so don’t have the usual cash amounts in their pockets, so not using cash isn’t a big deal. But as things get back to normal, the people who liked carrying cash before will again, why would you risk losing trade by bringing in a policy that doesn’t have an upside which is reciprocal?

As a business owner, I prefer card, but I would also prefer a cash customer than not have that customer at all. Employees often think they know how a business is run and what owners prefer, if you’ve been there long enough you might have a good idea, but refusing a customer with cash in normal times, is one sure fire way to piss some people off and no matter what you think, if you refuse cash customers, you risk reducing income and profit.

As a matter of interest, what are the type of people who pay in cash, that you don’t want to deal with?

L1011 wrote: »
    They'll likely still refuse to let you have the items on the basis that you ignored the huge amount of signage

They'd also have realised you were taking the piss a lot earlier than the till. Or you'd have been directed to get a trade account based on the volume, with its own payment terms that are not handled at the consumer tills

Maybe try a realistic scenario next time

You’ve never been to a paint shop or a builders providers, have you? You walk around the shop or stand at the desk and you will hear the staff regularly being asked for items like this, albeit the 1 inch squares might have been a step too far.

But you think the shop, at a normal time, would refuse a cash purchase? You instead think the hardware store would want an account set up and give the goods on credit, at a time when everyone is telling us that we might be heading into a deep recession?

I can only think that most of the posters saying that cash should be banned outright do not own a business, or have a business where cash might not be the norm due to the amounts owed. But as an owner of two businesses where cash is often used and accepted for payment, it would be idiotic and poor business management to refuse a customer just because they want to pay with cash.

By offering to accept both card and cash, you cater for everyone bar the very few that still want to write a cheque. Over time, cash may well be phased out, a recent study shows its use is declining, particularly by younger people, but you don’t limit your own business to one type of payment and in the process lose customers who want to use the other type.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Every day's a school day. I thought the same as you OP, that shops have to accept legal tender, but I just googled it there and apparently shops can demand any method of payment they like.

Would have been nice if they told you this before queuing for 20 mins and then finding out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I wish people would stop talking as if old people are too stupid to use a card. That includes some old people themselves. In my experience, they are perfectly capable, if they just try. Age isn't a barrier, just willingness is. I know someone who turned 100 last year who would put some people literally half her age to shame, just because they don't want to try. Some of those younger old people have eventually tried and love it now.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I wish people would stop talking as if old people are too stupid to use a card. That includes some old people themselves. In my experience, they are perfectly capable, if they just try. Age isn't a barrier, just willingness is. I know someone who turned 100 last year who would put some people literally half her age to shame, just because they don't want to try. Some of those younger old people have eventually tried and love it now.

Where are you seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this?

Waterford/south Kilkenny region.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

JohnC. wrote: »

My mother insists on using cash. Because the card is attached to the 'household money account' or something funny like that. So she only uses it in emergencies and will continue with cash for as long as she can... Despite the current issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nozebleed wrote: »
    im sure they can request a preferred method of payment but the cant refuse legal tender.
    Like stamps? Stamps are legal tender. Bring in a load of stamps and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

The issue is the stores doing this are not Irish stores. While most other stores prefer cards they will accept cash. It's delusional for people to think that over times banks will not add charges to those using cards. The government already has a tax on cards. While traders get charged for lodging and the withdrawal of cash smaller firms get charged over the top for card usage by customers. That is why for cards a lot if shops had a minimum transaction amount until lately. Recently just pre COVID I was paying a substantial bill and had the cheque book as well as the card with me. The owner perferred the cheque as when it was lodged in the account he could draw down against it. Card payments often take days to appear in business accounts

It amazing the way some people assume everyone who uses cash must be dodging tax. The reality is a large portion of people may have no bank accounts, find cash easier to budget with. I myself when I was financially challenged in the last recession always found it easier to budget by taking a set out out each fortnight. I still did up to pre COVID. At present I have a house tenant that pays me part of the rent in cash. He is a HAP tenant. As it costs too much to lodge I just spend it mostly.on car fuel as I can use it in a single transaction. But I also use it in self service in supermarkets as well.

I off down to BnQ now to buy a few tubs of paint I wonder will they take legal tender.🀔🀔🀔

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Lol. A great idea. That will teach them.

The stores want people to use cards because even though the card companies take a percentage, people spend more with cards and lose track of how much they are spending. With cash they may not have enough for certain impulse purchases they may regret later if they buy using a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

addaword wrote: »

The stores want people to use cards because even though the card companies take a percentage, people spend more with cards and lose track of how much they are spending. With cash they may not have enough for certain impulse purchases they may regret later if they buy using a card.

There’s studies to show the opposite is true (google them for yourself). If people have cash, they’ll spend it but if they go out to get a single item and pay by card, they’re more likely to do that

Getting back to the OP, there’s no way he didn’t pass signs everywhere in B&Q saying that cash wouldn’t be accepted. No chance at all

Dodge wrote: »
    There’s studies to show the opposite is true (google them for yourself). If people have cash, they’ll spend it but if they go out to get a single item and pay by card, they’re more likely to do that

Getting back to the OP, there’s no way he didn’t pass signs everywhere in B&Q saying that cash wouldn’t be accepted. No chance at all

Any budgeting advisor advising people that are in financial trouble ( and mostly it is impulse spending on a credit card) advises people to cut up the card and draw down a weekly allowance in cash to spend until COVID arrived. COVID has not changed the rational.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair credit cards and debit cards are completely different.

A side issue of course...

addaword wrote: »
    Lol. A great idea. That will teach them.

The reason these bigger stores want people to use cards is if they can force cash out of the economy it gives them a competitive advantage over smaller shops and stores. This is immaterial whether it is in hardware, homeware or electrical goods. It just like if when buying a car a dealership would ideally love everyone to use a loan. You are more libel to borrow a larger amount that you would if spending your own money out of your bank account. As well these larger companies are also trying to bring in there own store cards so that if you do not pay on time they can charge you a high interest rate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The issue is the stores doing this are not Irish stores.

That'll be news to O'Briens and Insomnia.
    Dav010 wrote: »
    You’ve never been to a paint shop or a builders providers, have you? You walk around the shop or stand at the desk and you will hear the staff regularly being asked for items like this, albeit the 1 inch squares might have been a step too far.

Some rando going in and asking for that quantity in B&Q will be asked for their trade card before they start mixing/cutting, realistically.

L1011 wrote: »
    That'll be news to O'Briens and Insomnia.

Some rando going in and asking for that quantity in B&Q will be asked for their trade card before they start mixing/cutting, realistically.

They will mix up whatever you want, with the machines they have it really doesn’t matter what you ask for, it’s all the same to them, just a matter of inputting the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I can completely understand a business or an individual not wanting to pass cash at the moment. I'm avoiding cash myself. I'd be more doubtful about "the death of cash" in the longer term though. Sweden be damned :D People can use cards if they like, but there's no harm having a cash alternative. I can think of a number of disadvantages to not having the option of cash:

- How to you pass small amount between (non-commercial) people? E.g. pocketmoney for kids. Or asking a colleague who's nipping out to the shop "Here's a fiver, can you get me a sandwich?". I can't see us instead saying "Do you know your BIC and IBAN off the top of your head, so I can go online, set you up in my online banking as a payee, and transfer a fiver plus charges".

- Charities. Big difference between throwing a few quid into a bucket versus detailing your bank details on a form. Would you trust your bank details or card to a person on the street that you don't know?

- Your card is lost/stolen/broken. How do you get by for the week or two until a new one is issued? It's useful to be able to bring ID to the bank and withdraw (spendable) cash.

- I've been in shops where the card system was down. Cash only for a while. Without cash, should these shops just shut down until card services are resumed?

I imagine none of these issue are insurmountable given time and changes to everyday life, but why remove a simple long-standing option that's proven to work?

The state (which issues currency and taxes its transfer) should provide a way to transfer that currency without additional charge. Cash is fine for that. In the absence of cash, the state should provide a free cashless transfer mechanism - free for sender and recipient, with guarantees on privacy. As has been said elsewhere on this thread, I don't want the state to outsource these responsibilities to commercial interests for them to charge both payer and payee. Not to mention state tax on these cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

tjhook wrote: »
    I can completely understand a business or an individual not wanting to pass cash at the moment. I'm avoiding cash myself. I'd be more doubtful about "the death of cash" in the longer term though. Sweden be damned :D People can use cards if they like, but there's no harm having a cash alternative. I can think of a number of disadvantages to not having the option of cash:

- How to you pass small amount between (non-commercial) people? E.g. pocketmoney for kids. Or asking a colleague who's nipping out to the shop "Here's a fiver, can you get me a sandwich?". I can't see us instead saying "Do you know your BIC and IBAN off the top of your head, so I can go online, set you up in my online banking as a payee, and transfer a fiver plus charges".

- Charities. Big difference between throwing a few quid into a bucket versus detailing your bank details on a form. Would you trust your bank details or card to a person on the street that you don't know?

- Your card is lost/stolen/broken. How do you get by for the week or two until a new one is issued? It's useful to be able to bring ID to the bank and withdraw (spendable) cash.

- I've been in shops where the card system was down. Cash only for a while. Without cash, should these shops just shut down until card services are resumed?

And other occasions cash is handy eg paying a teacher for a grind for the kid coming up to exams, or paying the neighbours son to cut the grass when you are on holiday.

Advertisement