Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Revolut will sort most of those issues. I know parents that give pocket money to kids via Google pay or apple pay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Caranica wrote: »
    Revolut will sort most of those issues. I know parents that give pocket money to kids via Google pay or apple pay.

N26 as well, no contactless or card fee's and no min deposit,
    Can't fault mine.

They also allow a certain amount of ATM transactions per month with no fees.
    I use mine purely as a emergency card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

My neighbour is in his late 70's and has never had a bank account. During his working life he recalled how depending on his employer, he either got a cash envelope or a cheque that would go behind the bar in the local pub and he'd get the balance at the end of the Friday night!

If he ever needs to buy anything "on the internet" he gets his nephew to do it and gives him the cash. Prior to CoVid he would head to the post office on Friday for his pension and get it in cash. He wouldn't know what to do with a card at an ATM.

have you tried to open a new bank account lately? Its a nightmare. they want so much paper work and documentation. I opened a new bank account in a new bank and found out my PPS card is not a method of ID that can be used. I do have a passport but dont drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tjhook wrote: »

- How to you pass small amount between (non-commercial) people? E.g. pocketmoney for kids. Or asking a colleague who's nipping out to the shop "Here's a fiver, can you get me a sandwich?". I can't see us instead saying "Do you know your BIC and IBAN off the top of your head, so I can go online, set you up in my online banking as a payee, and transfer a fiver plus charges".

Youve been able to send money to people just using their mobile number for ages.

If you have revolut (assume other systems are similar) you can send it to them from the contacts on your phone without knowing any details beyond their number being in your phone.
    - Charities. Big difference between throwing a few quid into a bucket versus detailing your bank details on a form. Would you trust your bank details or card to a person on the street that you don't know?

Theres very little you can do with someones bank details beyond giving them money. Every cheque has the persons bank details on it btw, how come no one had issues with them?

Anyway, Id be very surprised if charities dont have machines on collections now, as above, even buskers have a machine for people to tap to give them money.

If they dont then the charities really need to step up or they will lose a lot of money.
    - Your card is lost/stolen/broken. How do you get by for the week or two until a new one is issued? It's useful to be able to bring ID to the bank and withdraw (spendable) cash.

I barely ever use my card even at this stage. I use my phone the whole time to pay.
    What happens if your cash is lost or stolen? Its gone forever.

I do it with my elder son all the time ( I got a monese card and gave it to him, the revolut junior account wasnt out at that stage) . He doesnt carry the card anymore even, he uses his phone to pay then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Youve been able to send money to people just using their mobile number for ages.

If you have revolut (assume other systems are similar) you can send it to them from the contacts on your phone without knowing any details beyond their number being in your phone.

Yes, if you both happen to have Revolut, and you have to know the other person does. Mobile-to-mobile transfers aren't a standard. Of course, Revolut has to make money themselves, so there are fairly hefty fees after the first few hundred euros of withdrawals.
    Theres very little you can do with someones bank details beyond giving them money. Every cheque has the persons bank details on it btw, how come no one had issues with them?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7174760.stm
    What happens if your cash is lost or stolen? Its gone forever
    Yes, but I can withdraw more so I can still buy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I feel sorry for the teenagers with only having cards. It would be hard for you to buy a few drinks without your mammy and daddy checking up on you! :)

Yes, if you both happen to have Revolut, and you have to know the other person does. Mobile-to-mobile transfers aren't a standard. Of course, Revolut has to make money themselves, so there are fairly hefty fees after the first few hundred euros of withdrawals.
    There are loads of ways to give people money digitally now, I just picked 2.

They signed him up to a charity DD, again, its about the only thing they can do with it, not steal it. and its full reversible (he chose not to iirc)

What about all those people that handed out their bank details (cheques) to people for decades without any thought of it?

Yes, but I can withdraw more so I can still buy food.

If you have more. Either way, the money you lost is gone forever.

Plus isnt bank chargers what people are giving out about? Are they not charging for ATM withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

L1011 wrote: »
    Some rando going in and asking for that quantity in B&Q will be asked for their trade card before they start mixing/cutting, realistically.

They be losing a lot of business if they start questioning every guy getting a few buckets of paint or a bit of timber cut up. Average two story detached house with a plaster finish will need about 3 buckets of Dulux weathershield, contrast fir plinths and around windows and doors is another 5-10litres, a detached garage or front wall another bucket.

A lad painting the inside of a new house might be buying 30-40 litres of mat or silk paint and another 10litres each of primer and satinwood. Throw in another few bits and pieces and you have 4-500euro of gear.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They be losing a lot of business if they start questioning every guy getting a few buckets of paint or a bit of timber cut up. Average two detached house with a plaster finish will need about 3 buckets of Dulux weathershield, contrast fir plinths and around windows and doors is another 5-10litres, a detached garage or front wall another bucket.

A lad painting the inside of a new house might be buying 30-40 litres of mat or silk paint and another 10litres each of primer and satinwood. Throw in another few bits and pieces and you have 4-500euro of gear.

Someone coming in asking for a large amount of obscure colours and a ridiculous timber cut is going to be obvious as a crank pretty quickly though. And what you've described is not a "few buckets" and "a bit of timber".

If you want to try force someone to take a form of payment they have blatantly told you they don't take, try think of a less idiotic way to do so.

• Advertisement

They signed him up to a charity DD, again, its about the only thing they can do with it, not steal it. and its full reversible (he chose not to iirc)

What about all those people that handed out their bank details (cheques) to people for decades without any thought of it?

In his case, I'd argue that it is theft. Regardless, if funds are taken from my account without my knowledge, I won't be happy. I wouldn't hand a cheque to a stranger on the street either.

You have a point about cheques too - the existing banking system isn't without its flaws. All the more reason not to eliminate the option to use cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not me. My 7 and 11 year olds get coins. It helps with maths and gives them idea what is behindthe number in their bank account. They both have their accounts topped up monthly but are not allowed to spend that. I think kids should be first thaught basics and understanding how much stuff cost and seing if they can afford it. It also teaches them to be careful and make sure they don't loose their money.

I'm fairly on top of different payment methods, I have N26 account, I have Google pay, PayPal account, two irish bank accounts (in process of closing one) and credit card but when I want to pay my cleaner it is cash only. I 'm not going to ask what taxes she does or doesn't pay.

Someone coming in asking for a large amount of obscure colours and a ridiculous timber cut is going to be obvious as a crank pretty quickly though. And what you've described is not a "few buckets" and "a bit of timber".

If you want to try force someone to take a form of payment they have blatantly told you they don't take, try think of a less idiotic way to do so.

It obvious you have never done much DIY, a lot of lads getting a flat trolly in BnQ are leaving 3-500 euro. Most people get paint mixed in non standard colours unless you want everything in magnolia or white. Only a small fraction of paint bought by random lads is pre mixed colours.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have you ever done any DIY? Paints come in hundreds of colours, making up cans of “obscure” colours is exactly the same as making up the most popular colour in a paint shop, you just click on the colour needed on the computer and the machine mixes it. It’s as simple as that. One colour is no more “idiotic” than another, not everyone wants rooms painted magnolia or brilliant white. You don’t get asked how you pay or if you want it on account just because you want a colour that is rarely seen by the shop assistant.

There are loads of ways to give people money digitally now, I just picked 2.
    Sorry, only saw the edit to your post just now.

So I'd need a "traditional" bank account for the services like loans etc. Plus Google/Android Pay to transfer pocketmoney to kids (Revolut child account requires a monthly fee on an adult account). That assumes I even want a child to have a smartphone. Plus Revolut and N26 to cover transfers to other people who might have one or the other. And if other new banks enter the market, perhaps those too.

If I lose my wallet, I don't lose funds, but I lose access to the funds in *all* my bank accounts for a week or two until replacement cards arrive.

I can see how it would be handier for some businesses, but I can't see how the ordinary person would gain from removing the option to use cash. People can go cashless today if they want, why not keep cash for those who find it simpler, or even as a backup option for those who prefer cashless?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Have you ever done any DIY? Paints come in hundreds of colours, making up cans of “obscure” colours is exactly the same as making up the most popular colour in a paint shop, you just click on the colour needed on the computer and the machine mixes it. It’s as simple as that. One colour is no more “idiotic” than another, not everyone wants rooms painted magnolia or brilliant white.

The post suggested going for particularly ridiculous, non-saleable to others colours. You're going to be asked if you're actually sure what you're doing if you are looking for huge volumes of those. Its a person, not a robot inputting the codes on the machine.

Ditto the ridiculous timber cuts.

This is a pointless aside anyway - a post suggesting pointless pedantry to rile retail staff that really should have been ignored as a borderline trolling it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I can see how it would be handier for some businesses, but I can't see how the ordinary person would gain from removing the option to use cash. People can go cashless today if they want, why not keep cash for those who find it simpler, or even as a backup option for those who prefer cashless?
    I much prefer cashless transactions as I find it easier to budget and there’s much less waste.

I’m not advocating for a cashless society. I just think there’ll be a natural progression that way. I was against the idea of phone payments until I was at a fill and realised my wallet was in the car and now I use it a fair bit

Lots of people hated the idea of contactless payments and now use them regularly for all sorts of things.

Cash will survive as long as people use it but there definitely will be businesses that will stop taking it. That’s already the case in several countries

As long as it’s advertised, like B&Q have, then I think that’s fair enough. No real difference from my local Chinese having a sign up saying cards not accepted

The post suggested going for particularly ridiculous, non-saleable to others colours. You're going to be asked if you're actually sure what you're doing if you are looking for huge volumes of those. Its a person, not a robot inputting the codes on the machine.

This is a pointless aside anyway - a post suggesting pointless pedantry to rile retail staff that really should have been ignored as a borderline trolling it was.

Any specially mixed colour is virtually non saleable unless the person ordering it takes it. Any lad that will buy it will want it at a 50%+ discount to it actual normal cost price. As I posted an average detached house can take 40-50 litres of paint. If in Dulux weathershield you are looking at about a 300 euro+ bill. 500 euro worh of paint being mixed would not be unusual by a random customer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

You may still need coins for supermarket trollies. Aldi trollies need the €2 coin.
    Churches and charities might get little 'Sumup' card readers in their collection baskets. I always use my card in restaurants but I pay the tip separately in cash.

The only time I used an ATM since before Christmas was to lodge a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Apart from possible tax evasion, I’m struggling to see a benefit of taking cash over digital payments.
    Cash only is great for budgeting, as you know what you have left in your hand for the week. Paying by card all the time depends on the shop putting through the charge. So you think you have cash left, but come Monday you very much do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

the_syco wrote: »
    Cash only is great for budgeting, as you know what you have left in your hand for the week. Paying by card all the time depends on the shop putting through the charge. So you think you have cash left, but come Monday you very much do not.

I load up a revolut card for the household shopping. By the time I'm in the car park I've had a notification of the payment and the balance is always up to date. It's also very handy to track your spending.

the_syco wrote: »

I totally agree, my post was from the perspective of the retailer/service provider. Card payments are easier for businesses, but they would be crazy to refuse cash. The only benefit that I can see for a business to accept only cash would be for tax evasion, a combination of both card and cash offered to customers would cover virtually everyone apart from the extremely small percentage who want to use cheques.

Interestingly, I heard a segment on one of the business shows a few weeks ago about cashless society. Finland has gone card payments only and a recent study there showed that debt has risen substantially to the point where the Government has broadcast warnings to consumers to check their credit card balances regularly. Repeated small transactions meant that people aren’t as aware of the amounts they are spending and therefore getting further into debt.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.thenational.ae/business/money/world-s-happiest-nation-seeks-further-joy-through-national-financial-literacy-plan-1.978986

I totally agree, my post was from the perspective of the retailer/service provider. Card payments are easier for businesses, but they would be crazy to refuse cash. The only benefit that I can see for a business to accept only cash would be for tax evasion, a combination of both card and cash offered to customers would cover virtually everyone apart from the extremely small percentage who want to use cheques.

Interestingly, I heard a segment on one of the business shows a few weeks ago about cashless society. Finland has gone card payments only and a recent study there showed that debt has risen substantially to the point where the Government has broadcast warnings to consumers to check their credit card balances regularly. Repeated small transactions meant that people aren’t as aware of the amounts they are spending and therefore getting further into debt.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.thenational.ae/business/money/world-s-happiest-nation-seeks-further-joy-through-national-financial-literacy-plan-1.978986

Why am I not suprised

Slava Ukrainii

Ah here, paint shops carry those “ridiculous colours” as testers and colour cards, the shop could care less if you are sure you want them. You are saying the shop don’t trust you to make a decision on the colour you want. The person inputs the colour you want, machine makes it, if you don’t like it when you get home, tough luck, it’s a change of mind situation.

Personally I’ve never asked a shop to cut timber, I have my own saws, I suspect that line about timber was just for effect. You saying it is “ridiculous” is ironic.

Ah here, paint shops carry those “ridiculous colours” as testers and colour cards, the shop could care less if you are sure you want them. You are saying the shop don’t trust you to make a decision on the colour you want. The person inputs the colour you want, machine makes it, if you don’t like it when you get home, tough luck, it’s a change of mind situation.

Personally I’ve never asked a shop to cut timber, I have my own saws, I suspect that line about timber was just for effect. You saying it is “ridiculous” is ironic.

TBH it was. However here is a possible more realistic scenario. A customer get a couple of buckets of paint mixed, and has another few items on a flat trolley. Arrives at the counter and hand his card. Its declined. He says sorry can I pay in cash.

I be absolutely flabbergasted if BnQ do not have a process in place for such a scenario and it not to tell the customer to leave and sort there card to pay for the goods

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Apart from possible tax evasion, I’m struggling to see a benefit of taking cash over digital payments.

2nd hand goods exchanged between people.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Teachers getting paid for grinds.

addaword wrote: »
    Teachers getting paid for grinds.

Both EFTable.

Going cashless isnt anything to do with credit though. Theres nothing to say you have to get a credit card.

• Advertisement

Which can all do done electronically, and is for huge amounts of people.

People in the US use venmo to send send a amounts of money between each other. Revolut offers this too. The app gives you the option to do things like split a bill, so if a few people are out for a meal, say, one can pay and then request the other peoples shares. Much easier than everyone needing the right amount of cash tbh.

Advertisement