Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Refusing Cash Tranactions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Which can all do done electronically, and is for huge amounts of people.

People in the US use venmo to send send a amounts of money between each other. Revolut offers this too. The app gives you the option to do things like split a bill, so if a few people are out for a meal, say, one can pay and then request the other peoples shares. Much easier than everyone needing the right amount of cash tbh.

You need all parties to be in that service. The purpose of cash was to present a uniform means of payment. Now with technology with are creating multiple means of payment. I dont want to be spread across a number of services, just because the other person doesnt use who I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

We actually have a really good credit transfer system built on SEPA. The instantaneous version, SCT Inst, needs to be rolled out by the banks here but there’s a wide range of services around the corner built on some of those platforms as those markets are opened EU wide.

There’ll be a lot of possibilities emerging for processing payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Card payments tend to suit retailer's and banks alike as it's far cheaper

I know I'll be told that it doesn't matter by what medium your money is spent, but tapping a card really does isolate you mentally from the feeling of spending money, and makes it much easier to forget about what you're really spending.

To some extent too, I think not accepting cash could (and maybe should) be deemed as discriminatory.

Young people who don't have a bank account, elderly who find it difficult to adapt to new technology, the homeless, service workers who tend to be poorly paid and supplement their income with tips to name but a few. The more marginalised in our society are definitely more reliant on cash than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

cbreeze wrote: »
    You may still need coins for supermarket trollies. Aldi trollies need the €2 coin..

You can buy tokens or keyrings that fit trollies. I haven't put actual cash in a supermarket trolly in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

If you knew what was on money,paper and coins,most would never use it again.
    Would you pick up human feaces and put it in your pocket/wallet?
    Not to mention salmonella,E-coli the list goes on.
    I notice a lot of posters said they stopped using cash in March.I quit a long time ago unless it was totally unavoidable.Horrible stuff
    My wife was always going on at me for not carrying cash.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Steve F wrote: »
    I notice a lot of posters said they stopped using cash in March.I quit a long time ago unless it was totally unavoidable.Horrible stuff

So if there was a dirty 50 euro note on the ground you would not pick it up.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Steve F wrote: »

Man hates money.

I'd have to make an exception there.
    I'd probably give it a quick wipe with the ald Dettol antibacterial wipe 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do know money is dirty and would never deny it. However people tells me this and they'd happily pop their pin into a pin pad and sit down and eat a muffin after touching the pin pad without cleaning there hands in the past!

I do know money is dirty and would never deny it. However people tells me this and they'd happily pop their pin into a pin pad and sit down and eat a muffin after touching the pin pad without cleaning there hands in the past!

Yeah,that's another process I try and avoid.Most Terminals now allow you to tap thank God.
    And don't get me started on ATM's.
    When I still used them I'd never use my finger tips on the buttons but my knuckles....Howard Hughes would be proud of me...😄

• Advertisement

While we are on the subject.
    A little while ago the touch screen ordering consoles in a well known Burger outlet were swabbed and tested.
    Nearly every one tested positive for human excrement.
    So if you didn't wash your hands after ordering before eating your meal you were almost certainly getting "extras" with your Burger....Errrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Caranica wrote: »
    You can buy tokens or keyrings that fit trollies. I haven't put actual cash in a supermarket trolly in the last decade.
    Don't think they work on Aldi trollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

You can get key rings that work on Aldi trolleys also.

In a pinch, a round end of a house key also works in both. It's a bit awkward to get it to work on an Aldi trolley, but it works. It slots right in on the likes of Lidl and you can easily take it back out again right away so you can shop without the key sticking out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

TheDriver wrote: »

Aldi sell the ones that work on them from time to time. Also, I have one that I got from Amazon that works on both 1 and 2 euro style trollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People in the US use venmo to send send a amounts of money between each other.
    In Canada, you could attach your email to your account, so to send money, you send money to their email account, and it'd get sent to their bank account. Very handy. Paid my landlord rent via it, and great for sending people money for bills.

Can see it happening in Irish bank accounts in 80 years time.

the_syco wrote: »
    In Canada, you could attach your email to your account, so to send money, you send money to their email account, and it'd get sent to their bank account. Very handy. Paid my landlord rent via it, and great for sending people money for bills.

Can see it happening in Irish bank accounts in 80 years time.

AIB had that a few years ago and gave up on it as nobody was using it. I think the major issue was the other financial institutions didn’t jump on board and it meant it was AIB only.

You can transfer money to any IBAN usually within a very short time. I mean I’ve transferred money from AIB to French accounts and it’s arrived within a couple of hours.

Bank of Ireland is always 24 hour cycles and strictly business days. They’ve always been a pain though.

Also the cost of doing an IBAN transfer here is usually very low or almost free. It can be extremely expensive to do a wire transfer in the USA and BACS in England is prohibitively expensive for small payments.

I’ve paid plumbers, electricians, refunded friend for stuff electronically here. I also am self employed and almost all of my invoices are paid by electronic banking these days and have been for years. It’s cheaper than writing and posting cheques.

The PSD2 (payment services directive 2) opens up a lot of possibilities as banks have to open APIs for service providers. So you’re likely to see a lot of innovative stuff in the months and years ahead across the whole Eurozone. Irish banks won’t be able to drag their feet or set the pace of change on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Lots of shops and restaurants in my area don't accept cash anymore. I live in the Netherlands.

I can also create a payment request with my bank and send it via whatsapp. Doesn't matter what bank the other person is but they can transfer me the money easily. It is used all the time here. Bought something second hand last week and paid in this way.

https://www.abnamro.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2016/abn-amro-enables-payments-via-whatsapp-in-the-netherlands.html

I barely use cash at all anymore.

That was AIB Me2U : https://aib2.aibtest.ie/ways-to-bank/me-2-u

It was a handy service with potential and I don’t know why they launched it, with a fair bit of publicity, only to shut it down again shortly after. Perhaps it was just an experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

There are germs, bacteria, viruses everywhere. Good for your immune system. Cash isn't the dirtiest thing you'll come across anyway, not that it matters anyway for the vast majority of us with normal, functioning immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

A financial exchange between 2 people should be possible without a (or multiple) third party/ies having control over that. Electronic only payment is not a good idea. You do not control that transaction. Whether by card or revolut or other electronic payment. They do. And if for any reason in the future, their systems don't work or more sinister scenarios, then you go without. I feel more secure with cash alongside my card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I was at my local B&Q this morning..where i queued for 20 mins to get in and then a further 20 mins to pay for my stuff only to be told the no longer take cash transaction in accordance with government guidelines. I was shocked..told the woman i have only cash..i was then asked by the staff member do i know someone with a back card who could pay for the items in question..but she new by the face on me..not to ask anymore questions.

is this legal practice on the part of B&Q?

I will ask you for the opinion of the forum as i was blocked for a time for being rude to one of the bosses i think??? though not sure??
    I always was of opinion "legal tender" could be produced for retail goods anywhere in the country.
    Online shopping flights/hotels different game.

I be thinking about 90% of my purchases are credit card i would always carry at least €100 cash as i like the feel of having cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I will ask you for the opinion of the forum as i was blocked for a time for being rude to one of the bosses i think??? though not sure??
    I always was of opinion "legal tender" could be produced for retail goods anywhere in the country.
    Online shopping flights/hotels different game.

I be thinking about 90% of my purchases are credit card i would always carry at least €100 cash as i like the feel of having cash.

Your forum ban was in another forum (by another mod - its not even a forum I read), not here. Regardless, you don't discuss moderation on-thread anywhere except Feedback and Dispute Resolution anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

L1011 wrote: »
    Your forum ban was in another forum (by another mod - its not even a forum I read), not here. Regardless, you don't discuss moderation on-thread anywhere except Feedback and Dispute Resolution anyway

So its normal practice to ban a poster without informing of reason.
    The other mod?? i like to know what i did??

So its normal practice to ban a poster without informing of reason.
    The other mod?? i like to know what i did??

Take this to the Help Desk - you were never banned (or even warned) here, so as well as breaking basic site-wide rules you're in completely the wrong place.

DO NOT reply to this on-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

TheDriver wrote: »

Old 2p coin or sterling 2p coin works in aldi trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Quackster wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would want to though for the vast majority of transactions.

Hopefully this move against cash will be a dagger to the black economy.

More like a method of monitoring every cent everyone spends. Way too big brother for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I really wish people would educate themselves on the correct meaning of "legal tender". It would save many embarrassment when they start making a fool of themselves in shops.

Earlier in the thread someone even said stamps were legal tender. No they are not.

Legal tender simply does not come into the equation in a retail transaction.

If b&q want you to do jumping jacks as part of the transaction, they can do so. If they want to refuse cash, they can do so. If they want to put a minimum spend of €5,000 they can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

Funnily enough, a minimum spend using a debit card usually is in breach of contract they sign up to when getting card terminals.

Otherwise yes, invitation to treat applies. Wait til they find out about retailers not being obliged by law to give change, but rather it's just good business sense for obvious reasons.

If anyone does want to discuss the change thing, just search for one of the old threads please! Its pretty thoroughly discussed in those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

We actually have a really good credit transfer system built on SEPA. The instantaneous version, SCT Inst, needs to be rolled out by the banks here but there’s a wide range of services around the corner built on some of those platforms as those markets are opened EU wide.

There’ll be a lot of possibilities emerging for processing payments.

Yup. It just requires legacy banks to upgrade their backend systems as we move from batch processing to realtime (a big investment and why Bank of Ireland is so far behind - Irish Permanent had real-time processing over a decade ago). Once SEPA instant is in place it will be trivial. As an aside - another example of why being in the Eurozone works so well.

Advertisement