Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Watch Club

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

Thirdfox wrote: »
    ..."

too much great content their to quote you on it all. But I understand.. Thank you very much. Ill certainly throw all that into the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Birneybau wrote: »
    And you came into the *looks around* Watches and Timepieces forum to drop that stunning observation?

Oh. It's not that stunning. Come on now. But I did look around and emitted an opinion, too bad you didn't like it. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Oh. It's not that stunning. Come on now. But I did look around and emitted an opinion, too bad you didn't like it. Lol

Ah, no offense meant. I'm going to visit the jigsaw forum and tell them that I use a picture instead, requires no assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I would actively discourage people from joining a club like this. 600 euro a year for 4 random sh1tters low value watches. Each watch is only there to satisfy you need for a new thing rather than having any inherent worth, collectability or resale value, all soon forgotten. Generally the watches you get are bargain bin specials and the odd seiko is thrown in once a year and are pointed to as a show of quality. Only value is the ability to fill slots in a 20 euro Amazon 20 slot watchbox.

For me this type of watch collecting is there to milk peoples collector and gambling mentality and leave them deeply disappointed with re-branded Aliexpress faux heritage fashion watches. The disappointment then fades cause there is another loot box coming and this might be better.

If you can actually deliver quality watches for 150 euro each and make a profit fair play, but I would suggest most of these clubs bulk buy tat that others cannot shift. Its not watch collecting its christmas crackers.

Hardcore view...yes, but I think this is akin to MVMT, Vincherio, Daniel Wellington and all that horror. Maybe it has a place, but for me its just a load of nonsense. Every video I see of these, the watches are really aweful. The alleged RRP trotted out is fantasy, like the invicta RRP of 800 euro but yours for 50 euro and all that nonsense.

Sorry to piss on your chips, but I am a grumpy old fart.

Dont be holding back now :pac::pac:

In all seriousness, i posted in here asking about Watch Gang, was seriously thinking of joining, a few decent replies like yours above soon put me straight, bullet dodged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

An ad for Watch Gang popped up on Facebook for me. This guy is either clueless or a stool. I could find no Akribos watch for more than £70 (and that was pushing it) and as for Swiss Eagle...yeah, right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ah, no offense meant. I'm going to visit the jigsaw forum and tell them that I use a picture instead, requires no assembly.

No need to, I already beat you to it. In fact, I knock down other people's hobbies for fun. Finger painting and paint by numbers are other easy targets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kaybaykwah If you can't play nice, or come off like a humourless troll don't post in this forum again

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

scudzilla wrote: »
    Dont be holding back now :pac::pac:

In all seriousness, i posted in here asking about Watch Gang, was seriously thinking of joining, a few decent replies like yours above soon put me straight, bullet dodged

Dont let the opinions of others become your realty bud. Go for it, try it yourself. What have you got to lose? a few quid?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dont let the opinions of others become your realty bud. Go for it, try it yourself. What have you got to lose? a few quid?
    :)

Look I am all for positivity Gary, I am all for business, ****ing love that ****. But sometimes you have to let reality be your reality, cause unfortunately reality is where your potential customers live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Looks like Breitling are doing their own version of a rental watch

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/breitling-select-brings-a-watch-subscription-program-to-your-wrist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

$2000 rent for the first year. No thanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

scwazrh wrote: »

You pay, Breitling select.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Benny Clymer, Mr Hoodwinkee himself in the comments talking to the proles: Very interesting concept to see it coming from a big, and well-established brand. I really like what they're up to at Breitling these days!

:pac: I love the exclamation mark. He must be having a laugh. I wonder how much of a nod from Breitling was fired his way for that?

If there was ever a moment in the mainstream let's monetise the current watch craze...

hqdefault.jpg

I suspect this could be one of them. Hoodwinkee's recent 80's week another. Where prices for the mainstay vintages have gone nuts, few are selling and even fewer are buying in the cheap(er) seats and the dealers have run out of stock, so let's throw a hail mary out for the decade that nanoseconds ago was off limits as the decade that taste forgot. Though a good few years back they did the same for the 70's and that took off, so I suppose they figure lightning can strike twice. When they get to the 90's I'll wet myself with mirth. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

unkel wrote: »
    $2000 rent for the first year. No thanks :p

You could buy one third of a Hodinkee limited edition alarm clock for that. Joke of a website

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I own a Breitling that cost not much more than year 1 subscription cost.
    The watch is a tangible asset, and can fairly easy be traded up, down or liquidated as I choose.

This subscription model, has no real benefit to a customer.
    If you can afford the sub?
    You can afford to buy, on credit at least, if not outright initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That exactly. I spotted a Breitling Superocean that I liked a while back that could be had for well under €2k. Try that for a while and if you don't like it you can probably sell it on for around the same. Worst case scenario, you'd lose a few hundred quid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

unkel wrote: »
    That exactly. I spotted a Breitling Superocean that I liked a while back that could be had for well under €2k. Try that for a while and if you don't like it you can probably sell it on for around the same. Worst case scenario, you'd lose a few hundred quid on it.

So even when the big boys try this, the economics of it make no sense. Its one of those things that people are trying to get on the subscription bandwagon, but it just doesnt work for watches unless you go low low quality like the watchgang boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Think I'll start my own 'watch club'.

Subscriptions of €500 invited for a chance to wear a watch from my collectioné for a couple of months with the option to buy at a special price. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seeing as watches can be such temporary purchases you'd think they'd be ripe for a rental model. Has anyone ever tried that?

I'd reckon they're only temporary purchases for a small percentage of overall watch buyers. IE oddballs like us watch nutters. :) I'd bet the vast majority of luxury watches bought are "one offs" for special occasions and the like. Even in the "fashion" brand end I'd say the majority are bought, worn and held onto for years until left in a drawer. The watch nutter market is a small enough one and the same nutters know the values of watches and resale values of watches so would baulk at paying a subscription fee to rent that could actually buy a used watch from the same brand you own and sell on for little enough loss down the line and a lot less hassle than some rent/sub model.

• Advertisement

Yeah, can never picture this working. And a large part of having an expensive brand on your wrist is showing off how much money you have (although some would never admit it!) so "renting" it defeats the whole purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

fat bloke wrote: »
    Seeing as watches can be such temporary purchases you'd think they'd be ripe for a rental model. Has anyone ever tried that?

There is some australian group tried this. Insurance must be a nightmare. It was like 3k for a rolex for the year or something like that. Its like renting a house, doesn't make a lot of financial sense you loose all your equity.

Fitz II wrote: »
    There is some australian group tried this. Insurance must be a nightmare. It was like 3k for a rolex for the year or something like that. Its like renting a house, doesn't make a lot of financial sense you loose all your equity.

Certainly not straight forward, that's for sure, but then, if you have big shindig to show up at - you can rent the suit, you can rent the Ferrari, you can even rent a partner! Why not rent some bling too?! :). Renting of something like that for a year isn't really a thing. If you were trying on your tux in the rental place and yer man showed you a classy "piece" and offered it to you for the evening for 100 quid - would there be a take up? -Might be!

The whole basis behind the rental market of anything is you get the temporary ownership/usage at a premium price but without the long term drawbacks of purchase and ownership - up-front cost, insurance, servicing etc. The difference with watches (or some of them at least) is that the value of the item can be constant or even appreciative, whereas with cars the value obviously plummets like a stone.

You heard it hear first! Anyone got the number for Dragon's Den.... ?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Certainly not straight forward, that's for sure, but then, if you have big shindig to show up at - you can rent the suit, you can rent the Ferrari, you can even rent a partner! Why not rent some bling too?! :). Renting of something like that for a year isn't really a thing. If you were trying on your tux in the rental place and yer man showed you a classy "piece" and offered it to you for the evening for 100 quid - would there be a take up? -Might be!

The whole basis behind the rental market of anything is you get the temporary ownership/usage at a premium price but without the long term drawbacks of purchase and ownership - up-front cost, insurance, servicing etc. The difference with watches (or some of them at least) is that the value of the item can be constant or even appreciative, whereas with cars the value obviously plummets like a stone.

You heard it hear first! Anyone got the number for Dragon's Den.... ?
    Renting for an evening might be a thing, I think it happens for womens jewellery. But part of that is famous people doing it so the company gets advertising too. But part of your market will also just go out and buy a fake if it's just for show short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I like the Black Tie idea that when renting a tux or some such, they have a suitable timepiece on offer too.

However, if it is to be something decent, as opposed to something along the same lines as the suit brand you are renting, then the deposit would have to be fairly hefty indeed.

Years ago, having had to go to the same place three times in a few months to rent a tux, I just decided to buy one there and it was roughly the cost of the three rentals. I still have it many years later.

It would still be a pitiful fraction of a 'nice' watch.

Having had the foreign car rental experience, before the advent of widespread internet access, of having €1500 or so reserved on a credit card as a deposit, what kind of similar measure would be needed for this?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Renting for an evening might be a thing, I think it happens for womens jewellery. But part of that is famous people doing it so the company gets advertising too. But part of your market will also just go out and buy a fake if it's just for show short term.

Aha! Now you're talking. A faux-velvet drawer full of "luxury" deep-fakes that you'd need an electron-microscope to discredit! I think we're on to something here.:pac:

Advertisement