Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed and Feed What next?

Options
  • 04-06-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Ok the noobie Gardener here

Had the lawn cut and wet it a bit and used a spreader for some weed and feed across the garden. Did not rain until 2 days and just ran hose wash over it

Parts of the grass looked burned before hand and now some black patches around

So whats the next steps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The black is probably the weed killer killing the moss. If the mix you put down had seed in it you should sprinkle some compost on top and keep it wet until the seed germinates. If not just set the lawnmower to a medium height, not the lowest, and then cut it every week rather than waiting for it to get long and it should start to improve. If theres any big weeds you should try remove them by hand and get the root up if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

iamtony wrote: »
    The black is probably the weed killer killing the moss. If the mix you put down had seed in it you should sprinkle some compost on top and keep it wet until the seed germinates. If not just set the lawnmower to a medium height, not the lowest, and then cut it every week rather than waiting for it to get long and it should start to improve. If theres any big weeds you should try remove them by hand and get the root up if you can.

Cheers

Yes it was weed and feed

Need to get compost as we got some in woodies but this was potting compost so take it that wont do? Any suggestions?

Grass was relatively low so did not want to cut it for a whle as was cutting it twice a month. Big weeds I have pulled up along with any daisy's, dandelions and buttercups. It seems to be mainly moss patches in the lawn currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Cheers

Yes it was weed and feed

Need to get compost as we got some in woodies but this was potting compost so take it that wont do? Any suggestions?

Grass was relatively low so did not want to cut it for a whle as was cutting it twice a month. Big weeds I have pulled up along with any daisy's, dandelions and buttercups. It seems to be mainly moss patches in the lawn currently
    You only need the compost if theres new seed down. It just helps keep the seeds moist.
    If your getting moss the drainage isnt great. You should buy a pair of spike shoes and walk the lawn of some other form of spiky tool and some then use a bit of sand to help aswell. But this winter gone was so wet i think most gardens got moss. I know mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

iamtony wrote: »
    You only need the compost if theres new seed down. It just helps keep the seeds moist.
    If your getting moss the drainage isnt great. You should buy a pair of spike shoes and walk the lawn of some other form of spiky tool and some then use a bit of sand to help aswell. But this winter gone was so wet i think most gardens got moss. I know mine did.

Scarifiers in Lidl today for approx €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for the replies

Only new house we've moved into and garden was neglected by previous owners for few months. We started by getting it down to manageable level. Then noticed some lawn moss and kinda nettle like patches. Pulled up bigger ones. Cut it a few times and raked it using something like below

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/rakes/products/523873/draper-carbon-steel-lawn-rake?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25OJnffp6QIViKztCh1oVQVsEAQYBSABEgLfwPD_BwE

Plucked any dandelions etc by hand

Aim now is to get it to maintainable and reasonably looking. I know we won't get it like the Emirates football pitch but just something decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nothing else to do, wait for a bit of half decent rain and it will green up in no time.
    If there's any remaining patches you can then over sow with grass seed.

Advertisement