Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I didn't say that but he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about the wicked Brits - 800 years of oppression and all that - if the cap fits.

i mean our place names were anglicised into nonsense. that actually happened. A part of our culture was certainly lost.

I don't consider it a shinner issue - if someone was concerned about a loss of our georgian architectural heritage i wouldn't label them a royalist or imperialist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

gourcuff wrote: »
    i mean our place names were anglicised into nonsense. that actually happened. A part of our culture was certainly lost.

I don't consider it a shinner issue - if someone was concerned about a loss of our georgian architectural heritage i wouldn't label them a royalist or imperialist

Funny thing is that when Desmond Guinness restarted the Irish Georgian Society they were lambasted as being West Brits. Anyway, I feel sorry for anybody who loses sleep over anglicised place names. As for ordering stuff from GB using an Irish language name and address - why bother if you actual want to receive the goods? I believe in supplying the clearest possible information on the assumption that my order will be dealt with by an idiot.

Funny thing is that when Desmond Guinness restarted the Irish Georgian Society they were lambasted as being West Brits. Anyway, I feel sorry for anybody who loses sleep over anglicised place names. As for ordering stuff from GB using an Irish language name and address - why bother if you actual want to receive the goods? I believe in supplying the clearest possible information on the assumption that my order will be dealt with by an idiot.

this was also An Post..

some people are happy to accept anything that happens to them, regardless of how unjust, ridiculous, or discriminatory it is, some people aren't.

this was also An Post..

some people are happy to accept anything that happens to them, regardless of how unjust, ridiculous, or discriminatory it is, some people aren't.

And some people have little to do with their time.

you could say that about anything though - (i watch man united - you've little to do with your time) (i post on message boards - you've little to do with your time)

people are allowed care and have the ability to care about multiple things at the same time.

irish culture/history/ the language/irish music/irish sports are not important to some people, to others they are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I didn't say that but he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about the wicked Brits - 800 years of oppression and all that - if the cap fits.

I heard the caller say that anglicised place-names ia legacy of colonialism.

That's an uncontroversial historical fact.
    I didn't get any impression his issue was "800 yrs of oppression".

Maybe you need to listen without predjudice.

I heard the caller say that anglicised place-names ia legacy of colonialism.

That's an uncontroversial historical fact.
    I didn't get any impression his issue was "800 yrs of oppression".

Maybe you need to listen without predjudice.

Thank you but there were two callers on and one of them had clear issues with the aforementioned 800 years. What would he do about towns with names like Waterford and Wexford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fair points made on irish placenames, the anglicised 'bastardisation' of irish placenames are nonsense and don't mean anything.

callers having difficulty getting deliveries using irish placenames even with an post is a joke..

Inconvenient facts. Not enough Irish people know their own language, FWIW the notion that we are bilingual is a complete cod.

Everyone can speak English and understand a placename in English. Whether that name is gibberish or not is irrelevant to a delivery reaching its destination in a timely manner.

So unless you send every postman and courier on a compulsory Irish placename course (lol), what are you gonna do?
    In short, if you want your parcel delayed, put the address in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Inconvenient facts. Not enough Irish people know their own language, FWIW the notion that we are bilingual is a complete cod.

Everyone can speak English and understand a placename in English. Whether that name is gibberish or not is irrelevant to a delivery reaching its destination in a timely manner.

So unless you send every postman and courier on a compulsory Irish placename course (lol), what are you gonna do?
    In short, if you want your parcel delayed, put the address in Irish.
    Don't be giving the quangos ideas.

Don't be giving the quangos ideas.

I'm sure lobby groups like Conradh (who furnish stats that Irish is doing great and at the same time is in danger and needs funding) can always find new and inventive ways of pissing away money without my help. :D

• Advertisement

Thank you but there were two callers on and one of them had clear issues with the aforementioned 800 years. What would he do about towns with names like Waterford and Wexford?

I don't see why anything needs to be done with them. An Post needs to recognise both Irish and English versions of the names on a delivery.

If google can do it An Post ought to - especially if it's a legal requirement as stated in the interview.

The problems would likely be with street and townland names. Eir codes should help avoid errors.

But the Anglicised names aren't gibberish. Or at least not often. Maybe Kenmare for one.
    There is usually a logical connection between the names e.g

Cill - Kill, a church
    Dun - a fort
    Baile - Bally.

Ath , Rath - etc , etc
    Does nobody play the game of trying to solve the puzzle of the translation passing through a unfamiliar town?

another issue is organisations asking for irish peoples names in english... don't think that would happen to any other nationality, why do we tolerate it in ireland?

another issue is organisations asking for irish peoples names in english... don't think that would happen to any other nationality, why do we tolerate it in ireland?

No one cares, except the hair shirt tweedy jacket wearing enthusiasts of the medium.

No one cares, except the hair shirt tweedy jacket wearing enthusiasts of the medium.

I think most people like to have their name used correctly. It's a matter of respect for one thing. Even whiskey drinkers can take offence.

As for uncooperative organisations; inconsistencies in names can cause inconvenience, maybe even legal consequences. Especially with so many online transactions now.
    Even the misuse of the surname apostrophe can be a hassle. (Now that's a feature I wish had been anglicied into oblivion.)

I'm reminded of the people insisting on giving an English first name to an asian person. Or many Irish people not making the effort to pronounce the european version of a name.
    It's rude and disrespectful, but hey, can't be arsed making an effort to remember or pronounce.

I think most people like to have their name used correctly. It's a matter of respect for one thing. Even whiskey drinkers can take offence.

As for uncooperative organisations; inconsistencies in names can cause inconvenience, maybe even legal consequences. Especially with so many online transactions now.
    Even the misuse of the surname apostrophe can be a hassle. (Now that's a feature I wish had been anglicied into oblivion.)

I'm reminded of the people insisting on giving an English first name to an asian person. Or many Irish people not making the effort to pronounce the european version of a name.
    It's rude and disrespectful, but hey, can't be arsed making an effort to remember or pronounce.

I have an unusual name and if ppl get it, fine, if they don't I'm not going to lose a night's sleep over it like more sensitive souls.

The caller who was heartbroken that he couldn't converse with Gardai at a checkpoint in Irish has little to worry him in these times. Twats like that give Irish speakers a bad name.

God she is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

God she is terrible.

Needs to be repeated with anyone listening right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭fire_man

The slot with Bobby fairly poor today.Gap filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Needs to be repeated with anyone listening right now.

I’m not really sure it’s her fault. The whole “phone in” setup is just dreadful.

Leave that to RTÉ and the old people who enjoy listening to the opinions of people you’d be actively trying to avoid on the street or in the pub.

Susan Keogh would make it easier to endure but that’s just a personal “preference”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Today she has excelled herself by waxing lyrical about the Stella Cinema in Rathmines - you would swear she was a regular but it turned out in the course of the interview that she has never even been in it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Today she has excelled herself by waxing lyrical about the Stella Cinema in Rathmines - you would swear she was a regular but it turned out in the course of the interview that she has never even been in it. :rolleyes:

That's a bit like a wannabe influencer trying to get a freebie..

Wasn't that a discussion point on her show recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

She was probably just paraphrasing the Irish Times article from yesterday, or the Time Out article that it was reporting on...

I can't stomach that accent at all.

I can't stomach that accent at all.

to be fair that's not Andrea's fault and if she got the job despite her Donegal accent fair play to her. Donegal accents differ, my sister has lived there for 25 years and her accent is a soft one. However its the content of the show I have more of an issue with most days., usually its pretty pathethic.

Today is better, at least she is highlighting the appalling mess of the vaccine roll out! People in their eighties, nineties and even a 100 year old STILL not vaccinated. Keep the pressure on Andrea!

to be fair that's not Andrea's fault and if she got the job despite her Donegal accent fair play to her. Donegal accents differ, my sister has lived there for 25 years and her accent is a soft one. However its the content of the show I have more of an issue with most days., usually its pretty pathethic.

Today is better, at least she is highlighting the appalling mess of the vaccine roll out! People in their eighties, nineties and even a 100 year old STILL not vaccinated. Keep the pressure on Andrea!

Oh no not Andrea's accent! It was the girl who owned the cafe in Bray. She had one of those terrible South Dublin twangs that nobody who I know from South Dub actually sounds like :D

Oh no not Andrea's accent! It was the girl who owned the cafe in Bray. She had one of those terrible South Dublin twangs that nobody who I know from South Dub actually sounds like :D

ahhhhh apologies! Yeah I agree with you on the SCD accent :D:D

ahhhhh apologies! Yeah I agree with you on the SCD accent :D:D

:D

Yeah Ive nothing against her accent, but its the content. You go from Pat Kenny which is varied and often very interesting, to Ray Darcy's offcuts.

• Advertisement

why midlands radio? why shouldn't she be on newstalk??, i think shes good in a difficult slot

Only just saw this comment now.

Why is it a difficult slot? The station is called NewsTalk. How about analysis of news? Not decluttering your home.

Advertisement