Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The teaching “unions” do very little to improve public opinion of teachers. Any teacher I know are not in agreement with what the unions are trying to pull here.

Seems they just listen to the “old guard”, the ones they protected when they screwed over the newly qualified ones, when they start into gouging, and threatening, the government.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Half the time it comes across like she has done no research at all and she seems to get a bit lost or even a bit bored with everything.....

Some of the highlights from her show came up on my YouTube feed and I've watched them, and what you say is the feeling you get when looking at her reactions or demeanor when a caller is talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Andrea trys to be a hard hitter but she's really out of her depth.

I can't see her lasting more than a couple years in a daytime slot.

Her accent is really hard to listen too aswell.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Andrea trys to be a hard hitter but she's really out of her depth.

I can't see her lasting more than a couple years in a daytime slot.

Her accent is really hard to listen too aswell.
    Ouch. I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree with you, it's mysterious how she has ever landed Lunchtime Live. She would be well suited to local radio.

Seems like a lovely person. The technique though. Every bleating conversation is like slaughtering a lamb with a spoon, never quite getting to the point.

Harrowing story about a missing person in the US, Irish lad who was hiking. They reckon he fell during a bad snow storm. Andrea interviewing his mother about it and doing a good job of it.

This is what the show should be. Not a ‘Live Live’ ripoff. Later we’ll get to hear the “opinions” of listeners on stay at home dads. Could you think of a less interesting “topic” or less interesting group?

Why do they always dress so badly, have curly hair and an unkempt, scraggly, beard? Stay at home mothers rarely look as haggard.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Harrowing story about a missing person in the US, Irish lad who was hiking. They reckon he fell during a bad snow storm. Andrea interviewing his mother about it and doing a good job of it.

This is what the show should be. Not a ‘Live Live’ ripoff. Later we’ll get to hear the “opinions” of listeners on stay at home dads. Could you think of a less interesting “topic” or less interesting group?

Why do they always dress so badly, have curly hair and an unkempt, scraggly, beard? Stay at home mothers rarely look as haggard.

Very good. Just letting the mother speak...very natural flow. Tragic story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thomas Byrne wants Mandarin and Russian taught in primary schools. I suppose it would come in handy in the cases of both rogue states as there will be a need to keep a close eye on their criminal activities and in a worse case scenario there might be jobs as prison camp interpreters when our new overlords take over the West.

Best show in a long time. Just seemed to be focused on one guest/caller for longer than normal.

Would be great if they moved away from having to listen to plebs whine about whatever gadfly is bothering them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ouch. I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree with you, it's mysterious how she has ever landed Lunchtime Live. She would be well suited to local radio.

Seems like a lovely person. The technique though. Every bleating conversation is like slaughtering a lamb with a spoon, never quite getting to the point.

she does indeed seem lovely , cant argue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Thomas Byrne wants Mandarin and Russian taught in primary schools. I suppose it would come in handy in the cases of both rogue states as there will be a need to keep a close eye on their criminal activities and in a worse case scenario there might be jobs as prison camp interpreters when our new overlords take over the West.

spanish should be taught ahead of french in school , french has very little practical value

• Advertisement

Lad on now complaining about the price of petrol.

The petroleum industry lads must be scrambling to get their spin doctor, Pat Kenny used to have on, to tell us that the “barrel price” doesn’t mean much, that there are a lot of costs associated with running a petrol station and that the pump price is a very complicated operation.

And, sure, the garage doesn’t make anything off the petrol sakes. That all goes on tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Some ****ing bore - the type you don't want to get stuck beside in the pub.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Some ****ing bore - the type you don't want to get stuck beside in the pub.

considering he called himself an "actor" he had an incredibly boring monotone voice, I almost fell asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've no problem with Andrea, or indeed any of her stand ins.

What I struggle with is the choice of things they discuss is often of no interest to me.

Starting with anything whatsoever about the British royals. Or, for that matter, any television dramatisations of the British royal family.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've no problem with Andrea, or indeed any of her stand ins.

What I struggle with is the choice of things they discuss is often of no interest to me.

Starting with anything whatsoever about the British royals. Or, for that matter, any television dramatisations of the British royal family.

Prince Philip’s death was just announced.

Fingers crossed we won’t have to listen to caller’s “opinions” on the British royal family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Prince Philip’s death was just announced.

Yeah, heard it on the news. That's literally all I need to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

She was a newsreader before this. I can't think of anyone who graduated from newsreading to stuff like this where you have to think on your toes

Lad on now complaining about the price of petrol.

That was a painful segment to listen to. Yer man just drolled on and seemed tight out and she barely said anything

crazy 88 wrote: »
    She was a newsreader before this. I can't think of anyone who graduated from newsreading to stuff like this where you have to think on your toes
    Pat Kenny, although he might have been a continuity announcer.
    Claire Byrne
    Bryan Dobson

I'd have thought maybe half the household names, if not more.

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny, although he might have been a continuity announcer.
    Claire Byrne
    Bryan Dobson

I'd have thought maybe half the household names, if not more.

Don't ever remember Kenny but that could have been before my time.
    Dobbo had been doing the odd interview on six-one so he cut his teeth before he got his own radio show

Even still, I don't think any of the above former news readers would be great at lunchtime phone where there's a mix of lighthearted and serious topics. Kenny is great at cornering people and making them answer a question but woeful on the lighthearted stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Loike why do people care about what some anonymous twats on social media think...loike totally.

Even still, I don't think any of the above former news readers would be great at lunchtime phone where there's a mix of lighthearted and serious topics.
    I don't want to to overboard in the criticism here as you're right, it's a big step up. I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't be particularly suited to Lunchtime Live, and I'm not certain that Gilligan is either. I think there's a distinct lack of ambition to do something exciting or new with the role, which you might expect from a young and presumably very talented team. When people start a new job, they're usually asked about what improvements they're doing to bring. This show still feels like a Ciara Kelly stand-in, it's an old format that doesn't seem to suit the current presenter.
    But it's only been a year and a half, maybe more time is needed.

The slot recorded increased listenership (JNLR) last autumn compared to the previous report, pre pandemic, but I'm not sure whether there was any increase relative to a wider increase in radio listenership, which has surged since lockdown. Newstalk is losing one-third of its audience after Pat Kenny finishes at 12pm.

This show still feels like a Ciara Kelly stand-in, it's an old format that doesn't seem to suit the current presenter.

Don’t think it suits any presenter, to be honest.

There were a couple of days last week where they had interesting, pre-booked, guests on to talk about certain “topics”.

Worked really well and was a welcome break from Joe, and Josephine, Soap moaning about overgrown hedgerows, closed hairdressers or dog crap in the parks.

Don’t think it suits any presenter, to be honest.

There were a couple of days last week where they had interesting, pre-booked, guests on to talk about certain “topics”.

Worked really well and was a welcome break from Joe, and Josephine, Soap moaning about overgrown hedgerows, closed hairdressers or dog crap in the parks.

There's nothing wrong with the format. It's the only phone in slot they do. What else could they do they weren't already doing in other slots before and after?

I like a good phone in slot with a strong presenter who lets eejits call in and then call them out on their nonsense. It's good to laugh at them. Might not be everyone's cup of tea though

Look at James O'Brien on LBC for instance.

Newstalk is losing one-third of its audience after Pat Kenny finishes at 12pm.

Serious question, where do they go? Niall Boylan?

Serious question, where do they go? Niall Boylan?

I’m guessing most just “turn off”. I know whenever I’ve got time off, or if I’m in car, I switch over to music. Ronan Collins doesn’t really “do it” for me and I’d rather listen to silence over Niall Boylan.

Who knows where the figures would have gone if not for the pandemic. I would have expected them to drop a bit after Dr. Ciara Kelly’s switch to the morning slot.

It seemed, certainly around here, that a fair few were listening into the show just to get wound up and complain about her. They’d even go out of their way to listen back to the show, in the evening, just to hear something to whinge about. Very odd “carry on”.

In fact, one of the reasons I think Ryan Tubridy gets so much “flack” these days is that the Dr. Ciara Kelly haters aren’t up when she’s on now but would be, at least, awake for poor Ryan so he gets it in the neck, more so than previously.

There's nothing wrong with the format. It's the only phone in slot they do. What else could they do they weren't already doing in other slots before and after?
    I don't know, a quiz show? Something like the BBC4 quiz panel-shows, but what are we good at here in ireland? Comedy, and talking about the news. Plenty of comedians unemployed at the moment, some of them are good.

Or what about a "Miriam Meets" type segment with authors and musicians? Or a panel discussion about life — those always get people riled up or interested.

There are plenty of possibilities for that slot, at a prime time, when there is no serious competition until 1pm. I don't buy into the idea that there's nothing to do except a poor man's Liveline.

You can't replicate Liveline. It's like the BBC's "You and Yours" x Crimeline x Hospital radio. Newstalk's attempt is boring and trite, and that much can't be blamed on the presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Normally I have it on over lunch but had to switch off today. Feminist after feminist, although a few did make the point that those who most look down on stay-at-home mothers are.. other women!

• Advertisement

Or what about a "Miriam Meets" type segment with authors and musicians? Or a panel discussion about life — those always get people riled up or interested

All that kind of material is covered already in the other slots before and after this one. It's phone in only for this slot or else just do music.

With a strong presenter you could make some great (unintended) comedy out of serial moaners that like to ring into these things while curbing the themes of death/dying that joe duffy gorges on.

Advertisement