Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Comments

Kumejima wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? He got red carded for describing her broadcasting skills? Isn't that one of the points of this forum?

please tell me there was something else. Just saw someone get carded on the golf forum for criticising Rory McIlroy's performance yesterday, so I genuinely don't know if any criticism of anybody for anything is now off limits

Did you read the [snip] bit? That means part of the post was deleted. Stay on-topic please. -mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Knife carrying Tex-ian now...
    Home to care for his mum, aww.

Wonder if she carries too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Knife carrying Tex-ian now...
    Home to care for his mum, aww.

Wonder if she carries too?

A really bs merchant - 9 hard years in Afghanistan/Iraq but he still felt it essential to carry a knife in Dublin. I'd say the nearest he got to the military was on his Playstation. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Del.Monte wrote: »
    A really bs merchant - 9 hard years in Afghanistan/Iraq but he still felt it essential to carry a knife in Dublin. I'd say the nearest he got to the military was on his Playstation. :rolleyes:

I didn’t hear the piece but is it possible that this “caller” was just a hungover from Adrian’s old ‘Phone Show’ days?

I mean, someone who, maybe, shouldn’t be taken at “face value”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That was so much easier on the ears today. I've been hot and cold on Adrian Kennedy over the years (maybe more to do with his audience) but he was a huge improvement on the usual dirge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

So does anyone know if he's replaced her or not? Would be surprised if they are only using Kennedy to fill in while she and others are on holidays.

Have to say she wouldnt be missed. Never seemed comfortable or suited to this type of show. Maybe a show on agricultural matters or ear to the ground would suit her better. Or something along the lines of loose women etc.

So does anyone know if he's replaced her or not? Would be surprised if they are only using Kennedy to fill in while she and others are on holidays.

He's just standing in for this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭leath_dub

That was so much easier on the ears today. I've been hot and cold on Adrian Kennedy over the years (maybe more to do with his audience) but he was a huge improvement on the usual dirge.

First male in that slot since George Hook?

leath_dub wrote: »
    First male in that slot since George Hook?

Pub Quiz question

Who was the first female in that slot before George Hook's stint?

Pub Quiz question

Ciara Kelly if I'm remembering correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

first time in a long time not in a rush to switch over at 12pm !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pub Quiz question

Brenda Power?

Ciara Kelly if I'm remembering correctly.

Ah no, Ciara Kelly was only a few years out of college in 2002!

Don't mind me, it's not really a pub quiz question. There was nobody there before George Hook, he was there for 14 years. It was an answer to someone wondering if Adrian Kennedy is the first man in that role since George Hook.

It's an odd question to ask. If a woman asked a question like that about 'when was the last female presenter?', it'd be 'feminazi' this, and 'woke' that.

But two female presenters in 5 years prompts comments like 'first man in ages'. Women would never get away with that stuff.

Don't mind me, it's not really a pub quiz question. There was nobody there before George Hook, he was there for 14 years. It was an answer to someone wondering if Adrian Kennedy is the first man in that role since George Hook.

It's an odd question to ask. If a woman asked a question like that about 'when was the last female presenter?', it'd be 'feminazi' this, and 'woke' that.

But two female presenters in 5 years prompts comments like 'first man in ages'. Women would never get away with that stuff.

Jonathan Healy had a lunchtime slot before George Hook had his 'High Noon' slot and it was not very successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Barking mad commentators on both sides of mink debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Jonathan Healy had a lunchtime slot before George Hook had his 'High Noon' slot and it was not very successful.

Was Damien Kiberd lunchtime or drivetime?

I remember being pissed off when Moncrieff replaced Dara O'Brien as I liked O'Brien.

Think McWilliams was breakfast back then.

Barking mad commentators on both sides of mink debate.

It's rare to see a discussion with two people so extremely apart. Two people who likely couldn't agree on the time of day!

"Ah sure, mink is great, everyone loves showing it off, whats the problem"
    v
    "My cat has a heartbeat, would you eat him?"

:D

That's true, but it's true for both time-slots.

Until very recently, you could tune in to Newstalk on any given weekday and only hear male hosts. With very few exceptions, that's been the general rule from the outset.

That's true, but it's true for both time-slots.

Until very recently, you could tune in to Newstalk on any given weekday and only hear male hosts. With very few exceptions, that's been the general rule from the outset.

Very true. It's been a slow slow change. Even on Off the Ball, its all males despite the growing number of hosts.

I enjoyed Ciara Kelly on Lunchtime Live quite a lot and it was good as you point out to have a female voice. Really would love Andrea Gilligan to be moved elsewhere as she's just not good in that role once they retained a female voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Since George Hook lost the job for inappropriate (mysoginisic?) commentary there has never been a male presenter there . Prior to that the like of Jonathan Healy (who stand in for everyone on Newstalk) would stand in on tha slot. How long has George gone? It's like Newstalk have made ca conscious decision to make it a ladies only slot. That's why it was so surprising to hear Adrian Kennedy this week

• Advertisement

Since George Hook lost the job for inappropriate (mysoginisic?) commentary there has never been a male presenter there . Prior to that the like of Jonathan Healy (who stand in for everyone on Newstalk) would stand in on tha slot. How long has George gone? It's like Newstalk have made ca conscious decision to make it a ladies only slot. That's why it was so surprising to hear Adrian Kennedy this week

He left in September 2017 and I think was moved to a weekend slot for a while. Yeah he made comments along the lines of women bearing responsibility sometimes for being sexually assaulted by how they consume alcohol etc.

You're right - I think since George, its just been Ciara and now Andrea but could be corrected on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did the female researcher from lunchtime live who got her knickers in a twist over the school in Carlow and the uniform policy last winter cover this story this week

https://presentationcollegecarlow.com/School/Latest-News/Post/4243/Decision-of-the-Press-Council-of-Ireland

In my rush, I read that completely wrong, thought it was first female to take over George's slot after the...ahem..controversy.

I'm actually liking Adrian Kennedy in this slot, and in NT. Turns out a lot of my dislike of him was due to that weasel he used to present with.

How long has George gone? It's like Newstalk have made a conscious decision to make it a ladies only slot. ...
    Gilligan is only the second female host since 2016.

It says a lot that anyone would think that's a gender policy, when nobody (quite rightly) said that when Pat Kenny replaced Tom Dunne, or George Hook replaced Jonathan Healy, or Ivan Yates replaced George Hook, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Hook was bad in that slot. I liked him enough in late afternoon slot although Yates was better. Even before it was phone in dominated it was bad enough but when he had to talk to callers it was simply awful.

Ciara Kelly was best imo but I don't like the format so I would switch eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I never really liked Adrian Kennedy, but he seems to be working well in this slot. It does make me wonder if radio presenters ever get worried when taking holidays that their replacement will do a better job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

VonLuck wrote: »
    I never really liked Adrian Kennedy, but he seems to be working well in this slot. It does make me wonder if radio presenters ever get worried when taking holidays that their replacement will do a better job!

I heard him a little bit and it seems to flow better.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In fairness Adrian has been doing this kind of slot (albeit it was more Lunchtime Live on steroids) for years. If there was anyone that was going to slot in and keep the ship steady it's him.

Others like Ciara and Andrea before him had to learn and try to develop into it. The last few years on 98 really benefitted him as he had been able to learn to dial it back a little bit.

He's a complete pro. Doesn't surprise me that he's doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Was Damien Kiberd lunchtime or drivetime?

I remember being pissed off when Moncrieff replaced Dara O'Brien as I liked O'Brien.

Think McWilliams was breakfast back then.

Kiberd was lunchtime. He was brilliant in that slot.
    Yes I think McWilliams was on the breakfast slot around then. He used to have Noam Chomsky on fairly regularly I think. Scary, that's close to 20 years ago!!!

Advertisement