Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former MI6 boss confirms C-19 likely originated from Chinese lab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

splashuum wrote: »
    In addition to the former CIA director, now former MI6 boss
    Sir Richard Dearlove has also stated he has seen important evidence to state the virus was man-made and came from the Wuhan lab.
    Many major media outlets reporting the same. It's getting rather bewildering seeing people gobble up that "wet market" stuff as gospel.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/03/exclusive-coronavirus-began-accident-disease-escaped-chinese/
    A report suggests is not evidence, it's a conspiracy theory. You do know that bats can have billions of mutations of the viruses they harbour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The aim of these guys, like their compatriots in the Chinese or Russian service, is to sow disinformation.

You actually need more disinformation in the West than in the East, given we can vote. But the manipulation is clear.

I like the idea that China owes reparations to the UK, they may want to google the Opium wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Many prominent virologists said that we as a species aren't smart enough(or have the imagination) to have created such an effective virus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

When they say "important evidence" or "enormous evidence", they mean they glanced at a study and then told the press who then wrote a headline.

Of course the study in question doesn't actually say anything like that.
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/DBBC0FA6E3763B0067CAAD8F3363E527/S2633289220000083a.pdf/biovacc19_a_candidate_vaccine_for_covid19_sarscov2_developed_from_analysis_of_its_general_method_of_action_for_infectivity.pdf

So then it's up to the reader to gobble up what they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

The paper referenced talks about aspects of the virus having been "inserted" and it looks like some people have interpreted that as meaning put there artificially, ie by people. But, I don't think that is what it means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Sir Richard Dearlove has also stated he has seen important evidence to state the virus was man-made and came from the Wuhan lab.
    Many major media outlets reporting the same. It's getting rather bewildering seeing people gobble up that "wet market" stuff as gospel.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/03/exclusive-coronavirus-began-accident-disease-escaped-chinese/

OP is factually incorrect he is not M16 boss

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

plodder wrote: »
    The paper referenced talks about aspects of the virus having been "inserted" and it looks like some people have interpreted that as meaning put there artificially, ie by people. But, I don't think that is what it means.
    I've seen the term used about the original bat virus, which, after jumping species had other host virus elements inserted into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I listened to the interview and he didn't really confirm that this is true, he just said that there is a paper published in a reputable journal by scientists with considerable expertise that seems to point to an unnatural origin, but he also says that he is not an expert himself, and he knows that many other scientific experts have very views on the subject
    Here is the actual paper he referred to

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/DBBC0FA6E3763B0067CAAD8F3363E527/S2633289220000083a.pdf/biovacc19_a_candidate_vaccine_for_covid19_sarscov2_developed_from_analysis_of_its_general_method_of_action_for_infectivity.pdf

It refers to the virus as a Chimeric virus and talks about 5 insert sites. Nowhere does this suggest that those insert sites were not natural, as part of the nature of viruses is that they can transfer RNA between each other as a method of random evolution. (retroviruses exist because they insert their genetic material into animal or bacterial cells and use the cells mechanicms to replicate themselves, they're essentially genetics insertion machines.

Viruses come into contact with each other, exchange genetic material, very rarely this causes mutations that make them more virulent and if that mutated virus particle happens to be in the right place at the right time, it causes an infection in a susceptable host and multiplies itself billions of times

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

is_that_so wrote: »
    I've seen the term used about the original bat virus, which, after jumping species had other host virus elements inserted into it.

I can see the word 'Inserted' to be the Coronavirus version of 9/11's "They made that decision to pull" for conspiracy theorists looking for anything to hang their hopes on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Telegraph is a tabloid rag, anyone who believes that crap is a simpleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Telegraph is a tabloid rag, anyone who believes that crap is a simpleton.

Yes. I would be skeptical of any report they cover. Con Coughlin, their defence editor, has been known for spreading misinformation over the years. The Telegraph have been taken to court over it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I've read articles here and there by virology experts who said they expected a pandemic like this to originate in a Western lab by accident. That the Chinese may have done it on purpose or by accident sounds plausible. Still though it's hardly worth talking about without more evidence.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

People who seem to know a lot more about this say this claim is spurious

Like the first such claim you posted about this OP, this belongs in the Conspiracy Theories forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement