Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting data from an HDD with OS

Options
  • 04-06-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a hard disk partitioned in two, with OS and applications on one part, and data on the other part.
    I want to retrieve the data and would like to connect it to my PC via USB (SATA-to-USB adapter).
    My PC has Win10, on the HDD there is Win7.

What happens if this disk has an OS on-board? Will it interfere with the master PC's OS?
    If so, what solution do I have?

Next question, I could re-sell this HDD, but would like to completely erase its content. Would you recommend me a good tool to make it absolutely clean?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It shouldn't matter if you have an OS on an external drive. The only issue I could see would be if USB had boot priority over the internal drive, but that's only likely if you changed that yourself via the BIOS.

I've used DBAN in the past to completely wipe HDDs (doesn't work with SSDs). The interface is command line, so not particularly friendly. Have a look at a demo on YouTube to see if you fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BE CAREFUL when DBANing the old drive that you select the CORRECT drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It shouldn't matter if you have an OS on an external drive. The only issue I could see would be if USB had boot priority over the internal drive, but that's only likely if you changed that yourself via the BIOS.

I've used DBAN in the past to completely wipe HDDs (doesn't work with SSDs). The interface is command line, so not particularly friendly. Have a look at a demo on YouTube to see if you fancy it.

Wonderful, thanks a lot!

ED E wrote: »
    BE CAREFUL when DBANing the old drive that you select the CORRECT drive.

I will double double check :)
    Thank you!

Hi, sorry, I think I did a mistake. The hdd is a 3.5" one, with two supplies, 5V and 12V and I don't think that the USB adapter is able to do so, I will have to connect this disk internally, with power from the PC board and sata cable.
    Would this make any difference at the PC boot? I mean, the PC will find two disks, both with an OS on board. Where will it boot from?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Hi, sorry, I think I did a mistake. The hdd is a 3.5" one, with two supplies, 5V and 12V and I don't think that the USB adapter is able to do so, I will have to connect this disk internally, with power from the PC board and sata cable.
    Would this change anything at the PC boot? I mean, the PC will find two disks, both with an OS on board. Where will it boot from?
    Thanks!

The bios would have a boot order set. Just make sure the drive you want to boot into is first on the list. There is sometimes a key you can hit as the pc starts in bios mode that will bring up a list of drives to boot from. On mine it's f11.

Advertisement