Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

895mm - Will I get a 900mm shower tray in?

• 04-06-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

Adding a bathroom and planning on putting in a shower in an existing first floor alcove. The dimension of the existing wall from plaster finish to plaster finish is 895mm. Achingly close to having a 900mm shower tray. Alternatively, we'd have to box in the wall and go for 800mm, which isn't ideal.

I was wondering, is this a problem? Could just over 5mm of the plasterboard be rasped away at the bottom of the wall to allow the shower to slot in, and then the tiling would cover it anyway? Or could a strip be taken off the plasterboard entirely at the bottom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

We've had a bathroom guy out to offer us a quote this week, we're putting a 900 wide tray in an alcove of something like 880mm. He said they cut the bottom of the plasterboard to slide in the tray, bring tiles down to the tray, no issue and they do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I replaced a 700mm tray with a 1000mm recently. House builders put in the 700mm and had a stupid wall built up to fill the gap.

So after removing all plasterboard and timber of fake wall, the space was about 1005mm from bare studs, so I built a ‘recessed wall’ level with studs all around, if you get me, about 300mm high, tanked it, this would be the last line of defence for leaks. Put in the tray, siliconed, then new tanked plasterboard cut to fit just over the tray. Silicone to fill the gaps. Then tile as normal.

A fair bit of work, but shower feels huge compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Just to add, I wouldn’t like the wall just cut and tray slid in. This would mean your relying on a strip of silicone to keep water from seeping under into a void. And the silicone will fail eventually.

That’s why I built a mini tanked recessed wall behind, way less risk of water getting through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Revit Man wrote: »
    We've had a bathroom guy out to offer us a quote this week, we're putting a 900 wide tray in an alcove of something like 880mm. He said they cut the bottom of the plasterboard to slide in the tray, bring tiles down to the tray, no issue and they do it all the time.

Absolutely the way to go. I have done it this way over a number of showers and all remained to this day leak proof.

Recess the tray 1 CM under the plaster board. Small bead of silicone to seal off and then tile down direct to the shower tray - again a tiny bead but not necessary if it effect the look. The shower tray edges are fabricated to drain in to the shower.

Advertisement