Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penney’s Re-Opening On Monday 8th June- Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Majority of their bigger/newer stores have no external entrances and unless they're willing to legally challenge the shopping centre ban (which I suspect they'd be able to get overturned as all the shopping centres are already open for supermarkets, pharmacy, takeaway food, electronics, etc) they will be able to open only a few shops. City centre ones and the remaining regional ones that were beside Tesco stores.

I also suspect they may not be ready to open on the 8th so it could be later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the tent and sleeping bag ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Penneys will be jammers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

coylemj wrote: »
    I have the tent and sleeping bag ready.

i'm pitching a tent at the thought of it opening

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

Penneys most likely won’t be open this Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

L1011 wrote: »
    Majority of their bigger/newer stores have no external entrances and unless they're willing to legally challenge the shopping centre ban (which I suspect they'd be able to get overturned as all the shopping centres are already open for supermarkets, pharmacy, takeaway food, electronics, etc) they will be able to open only a few shops. City centre ones and the remaining regional ones that were beside Tesco stores.

I also suspect they may not be ready to open on the 8th so it could be later.

Penney’s will find a way I’m sure, it’s a logistical nightmare trying to have the open areas to wash their hands and sanitize stations. Interesting to see how they go but it’ll be absolutely mental. Won’t be going near there for a good few weeks. They’ll make the queues for Mc Donald’s pale in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God I couldn't think of anything more awful than being in a crowd of rummagers packed in to a shop like that.

But each to their own and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/lifting-lockdown-all-major-retail-outlets-to-be-permitted-to-open-from-next-monday-39260270.html

Lifting lockdown: All major retail outlets to be permitted to open from next Monday

Ikea, Penneys, and H&M are among the stores expected to reopen next week

Major retail outlets including high-street fashion stores will be able to open their doors to customers for the first time in months next Monday.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) has cleared the way for the Government to announce a major easing of Covid-19 restrictions which will allow retail shops across the country reopen.

However, shopping centres will not be permitted to reopen over fears that it could lead to people congregating in enclosed spaces.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/lifting-lockdown-all-major-retail-outlets-to-be-permitted-to-open-from-next-monday-39260270.html

Lifting lockdown: All major retail outlets to be permitted to open from next Monday

Major retail outlets including high-street fashion stores will be able to open their doors to customers for the first time in months next Monday.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) has cleared the way for the Government to announce a major easing of Covid-19 restrictions which will allow retail shops across the country reopen.

However, shopping centres will not be permitted to reopen over fears that it could lead to people congregating in enclosed spaces.

I’m going to pop that into the opening post thanks I’ll give you the credit of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Penneys will be jammers

With people wearing their jammies?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Penney's was always a busy shop. Won't be going anywhere near the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

i'm pitching a tent at the thought of it opening

In your pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hope there's plenty of Covid testing kits in the HSE stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Everyone’s going to lose their minds, Watching TV Daithi & Maura they said Monday 8th June Retail Shops have been moved a phase so it reopens. Primark will make a mint. Are they opening way too early in your mind or is it about time?

Credit to @rubberdungeon for the link, thanks.

As someone who is employed by this company, I can rightfully say, I'm delighted to be back soon although, employees haven't been informed of the exact dates of staff returning, nevermind customers so no, Penneys won't be open on Monday unfortunately. But again, it depends on what they think and obviously staff training will need to be adhered too but as a big company that they are, they will be on the ball before you know it.

Personally I don't think it's too soon as I feel at this stage of the lockdown and restrictions, everything seems to be easing. A lot. In terms of customers and how they will layout the stores, I've genuinely no idea but I suppose it will be pretty much like Aldi, lidl and Centra. Till screens, lining marks, gloves, sanitizers etc. I can't imagine it being a grand opening either. Just a little bit more strict on crowd control.

But I will gladly go back to work after nearly 3 months off. Safe to say, I miss it. Although it will be strange to see it run differently in terms of crowd control, I hope it will be a lot easier to manage and there was often times it did get out of control (ie Easter, Summer, Christmas etc) but again the restrictions is easing so come Christmas, employees and customers will have forgotten all about the queing system and it'll be like Covid 19 never happened!

Glad to see everyone hoping penneys will be open again though. No one is going to be short knickers and socks after this haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Penneys has confirmed that it will not be reopening its 37 Irish stores next week, despite an expected move by the Government to accelerate the easing of restrictions to allow larger retailers trade from Monday.

It had been working towards an Irish reopening of June 29th, but the retailer will not now be ready in time to meet the expected earlier opening date next week.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/penneys-will-not-reopen-on-monday-despite-expected-changes-to-lockdown-rules-1.4271041?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wondering how "Feeling the Clothes" on the racks will work. I am one of those who check the fabric, because I refuse to iron anything! But anyway it is instinctive. It's what we do.

Hmmm maybe it's no issue but after weeks and weeks of this lockdown I wonder if going to some clothing shop is fekkin worth it anymore. Crowds, the fabric feelers (like me), and all that hassle.

Well I doubt Penneys will open next week myself, I'd imagine they are peppering regarding the crowd control, social distancing and how they will deal with the changing rooms if they ever exist again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Wondering how "Feeling the Clothes" on the racks will work. I am one of those who check the fabric, because I refuse to iron anything! But anyway it is instinctive. It's what we do.

Hmmm maybe it's no issue but after weeks and weeks of this lockdown I wonder if going to some clothing shop is fekkin worth it anymore. Crowds, the fabric feelers (like me), and all that hassle.

Well I doubt Penneys will open next week myself, I'd imagine they are peppering regarding the crowd control, social distancing and how they will deal with the changing rooms if they ever exist again.

That what I was woundering myself. I haven't heard much else about what will happen to the stock already on the floor but last I heard was deep clean and disinfection but again, how that goes on the clothes, I've no idea. I'm dying to find out myself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Weird I've been in several open shopping centres for groceries.

It was asked in another forum about the legality of using a fire exit as an entrance to a store in a mall and there's no clear answer. I can see some stores trying this

Del2005 wrote: »
    Weird I've been in several open shopping centres for groceries.

It was asked in another forum about the legality of using a fire exit as an entrance to a store in a mall and there's no clear answer. I can see some stores trying this

Absolutely everything will be tried but the fire exit has to be the fire exit for health and safety, a visit from the fire chief would expel that idea fairly quickly.

Fire exits from internal units are often through stockroom adjacent corridors also, which would be a security issue as well as possibly a problem for providing sufficient facilities for staff.

• Advertisement

Shopping centres to be allowed from 15th June, according to the semi incoherent pile of cabinet leaks this morning.

Kildare Village I'm sure would have argued it was outdoors!

Penney’s have stayed they won’t be open on Monday but that’s only down to the late notice of reopening, with the Penney’s/Primark layout they’ve got allot to do before reopening happens. It’ll be great for families to be able to get clothes and bits and pieces. The other positive is people back into work and the economy moving forward. Possibly June 15th opening, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Penney’s will re-open stores with street access on Friday 12th June!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    june 15th for shopping centre access going by the news

I really wonder how will they manage queues in shopping centers with other shops queues as well.

I really wonder how will they manage queues in shopping centers with other shops queues as well.

Each place will have its own queue. There’s a shopping centre open where I shop and Tesco, Butchers and Dealz have been open and the Queues have been fine as they’ve been all sign posted. Ppl just need to get used to them. It works really well and helps stop as many mingling. I kinda prefer shopping this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Penneys opening will be pandemonium, or Pandemicmonium.

Each place will have its own queue. There’s a shopping centre open where I shop and Tesco, Butchers and Dealz have been open and the Queues have been fine as they’ve been all sign posted. Ppl just need to get used to them. It works really well and helps stop as many mingling. I kinda prefer shopping this way.

At the moment it’s fine but I can see some shopping centers having issues when all the stores are open side by side.
    Some places will be fine but more popular places could have issues in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

At the moment it’s fine but I can see some shopping centers having issues when all the stores are open side by side.
    Some places will be fine but more popular places could have issues in my opinion.

Buy shares in the companies that make/supply retractable barriers, I can see a big increase in their usage.

• Advertisement

I’ve noted a few Penney’s are opening Friday, I’d say it’ll be mayhem there’ll be nothing left by Sunday. It’ll be a mad experience with the ones I know up couldn’t swing a cat in them. Interesting the layout.

Advertisement